PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake stuck

Lee'sdaytona
12-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Alright I threw two new rear cables on my daytona last spring and have been using the parking brake ever since without a problem...freezing weather or whatever. Well I went out there tonight, released the brake, and its stuck. Its not freezing out either. I am almost positive that my calipers are stuck where the cable hooks up. Do you guys use a heavy grease or something there? I just used white lithium grease in the spring so maybe thats my problem? I tried driving back and forth with no success
-Lee

85_600
12-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Have you tired driving backwards then slamming on the brakes hard? I had to do this on a 87 Lancer on time. Snow was out and covered the roads and I was trying to figure out why I wasn't moving like I should have. I hit a dry spot and it sounded like I was peeling out. Went back home, pulled down the driveway, put it reverse and floored it.....then hit the brakes HARD. Broke the brakes loose.

Lee'sdaytona
12-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Hmm I will try that....any way to avoid it in the future? I used to get under there with a hammer and pound the part that the cable pulls on. Can't be great for the caliper but what the hell you gonna do? Alright I'll try that, thanks
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
well i got under there today with the hammer and got it free....I'm thinking maybe the cable that comes through the floor may be seized...I've never replaced that cable. Its weird how it could freeze up like that in a few hours when its only 45 degrees out there! Guess i'll have to leave it in gear until the spring when I can replace the cable :rolleyes:
-Lee