PDA

View Full Version : CARNAGE!!! Yes, pics! Come all and look!

Dave
04-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Pulled the tranny today after declaring that I blew out the rear main seal.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/567/medium/trans_is_out.jpg

Oh boy, what joy I found!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/567/cracked_flywheel_and_retainer.jpg

So, Rob Pachner gave me a new flywheel, flexplate, and retainer. Kool! Thanks Rob!

So you tell me... how the hell did I crack a stock flywheel while only making 230WHP and getting 1.9 60's, whereas Rob is making 550WHP, running 10.0's, with 1.6 60's?

Well everything is ready to go back together. Just cleaned up the entire k-frame, repainted the brake calipers, cleaned the firewall, cleaned my intercooler pipes and lipped them.

:) Many huge, HUGE thanks go out to Christian Grest (Bubba) for letting me borrow his tranny jack, Al Shiplett (5spd. mini) for letting me borrow his custom engine support, Rob Pachner (OhioRob) for giving me those parts, and *sigh* of course the Chuckster for helping my --- out here. Thanks everybody... especially Dad. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Its called old age dude. Things get weak over time and our flexplates are very thick.
When I swapped out my tranny, mine was cracked so lucky I had it out, I bet it would have broken at the drag strip, :(

Was your rear main leaking?

Dave
04-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Was your rear main leaking?

Haven't pulled it yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

altered7151
04-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Yep those things love to do that. Its called a "flexplate" because its meant to flex a tad to allow for any misalignment. They tend to get cycled from all the heat/cooling and stress on them. I had the same thing happen on my daytona, was pulling my hair out trying to get the timing right. Kinda hard to set the ignition and cam timing when your timing mark keeps moving around on you. You're timing was probably off a bit too, fix that and 13's should be right around the corner :thumb:

Keito
04-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Too much Powa!!!!

5sp. mini
04-21-2006, 06:35 AM
got some of them thats why a went 5sp. AL the trans guy said if the converters worped or not true it will cause that?to much run out like a bad brake rotor. Al

Dave
04-21-2006, 08:22 AM
TC is fine I believe.

So should I also check my timing?

It's very wet outside now but I gotta get this mother done. Bleh, wish me luck.

TrrboJeep
04-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Good luck on the rear main. :thumb:

Carnage! :eyebrows:

turbovanmanČ
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
TC is fine I believe.

So should I also check my timing?

It's very wet outside now but I gotta get this mother done. Bleh, wish me luck.

Of course you should check your timing when done, :nod:

Dave
04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Hmm... got the new seal in. I'm pissing around, cleaning parts, taking breaks, cleaning more parts.

For a 5 hour job this is my third day. I wake up, work on the Spirit, go to work, get home, work on the Spirit. Maybe get a sammich somewhere in there as well. lol

The rear main was surprisingly easy! Thanks for your help there Simon. I took it to the vice and turned it while tapping on the rear main with a punch. After that I got the new rear main and put some Anerobic sealer on the OD of it, and put some of it also where the 4 bolts on the retainer match the block. Of course cleaned both surfaces first.:thumb: I then took a 2x4 and punch the rear main into the retainer. Took the entire assembly to the block and motivated the lips in with a flathead screwdriver all the way around the crank. Real easy!

The reason I told you all this is because I want to make sure I left nothing out before I put the tranny back in. I think everything went well and it's going smoothly.

tryingbe
04-21-2006, 04:48 PM
See #21.

It's all there
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

By the way, it's NOT the hp, it's the TORQUE that cracks it.

Dave
04-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok got the tranny in and the brand new starter :eyebrows: in. Almost there! Finally! Christian came over and helped me with the tranny jack since I am only familiar with tranny installs with engine hoists. Thanks again.

So it'll be running tomorrow. I'll update with whether it's fixed or not. *crosses fingers*

Turbodave
04-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Bryan, I've replaced 4 or 5 of those on TBI cars with the same problem, so it's certainly not a HP issue. However, that doesn't mean you can't keep the flywheel around and show it to non Turbo-mopar buddies so they can drool over your flywheel ripping torque. Maybe mount it on a chain and wear it around for a little while...

Glad you found the problem, I'm sure that within 24 hours you'll be back on the street pissing off little old ladies again..:D