PDA

View Full Version : lifters rattle at idle, need ideas on how to stop this noised please

squirlydude1974
05-04-2009, 03:17 PM
replaced blown head gasket and cracked head used and old head with fewer miles on it. the noise wasnt there before the head change. replaced the lifters with new ones with no change oil pressure is about 10 lbs at idle when hot. unsure what to do please help.

turbovanmanČ
05-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Can you post a vid of the noise.

I have found some heads have noisey lifters, some don't, maybe the lifter bores are too loose?

squirlydude1974
05-04-2009, 11:59 PM
sorry cant get vid right away but the noise make the engine sound like a diesel at idle. If I get the rpm about 1200 it stops if i let off the throttle it comes right back. By the way this is on my 88 New Yorker Turbo 2.2 I was first running 10w 30 and the oil psi was hanging around 6 when hot and in gear, so I went to 10w 40 with only an improvement in oil psi, now about 10 psi idle hot and in gear, the head is off of a 84 caravel non turbo. Im wondering if that has a little to do with it but their esentially the same use same head gasket they have different cams so i retained the turbos cam and roller rockers and lifters, then replaced lifters with no benifits.

butchsuppe
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM
The turbo head has differant ex. valves + springs, non turbo valves won't live long. Also the turbo head have a taper around the valves. Maybe you lucked out and someone put a turbo head on the donner car. See if there is a TS marked on the head, if so than it's a turbo head.

89ShelbyGuy
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Its probally your wrist pins clackin around...just about every TD i've owned has that stupid noise. When you rev it up does it go away?

squirlydude1974
05-08-2009, 03:46 PM
It shure does go away if reved and any rpm other than idle only herd when its at idle. And as far as the head goes I will be getting one for a turbo in the near future at the time I changed it i purchased a turbo from Turbos Unleashed (This company is the best that I have ever delt with online fast friendly and they know what thier doing) so I didnt have the funds to get the right head at the time. thanks for the input

The Pope
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
often new heads come with valves not machined right and there is extra slop on the follower. Try shimming the lifter with small washers. Turn over the engine and make sure the followers don't move around on the base circle or the cam.

turbovanmanČ
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Try to post a vid, then it will help narrow it down but if the noise came after you changed the head, then its oil pressure related or lifter bore issues.

This is messy but have it idling and remove the oil cap, see if you can see lots of oil, if not, it could be the oil passage to the head is blocked.