PDA

View Full Version : Possible clutch or transmission problem!!!

Spirit's-R-Fun
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a 1991 Dodge Spirit 2.5 liter. It's a 5 speed manual, with the clutch cable. Yesterday i found that i could barely get the car to shift, i had to literally force it into each gear. I have to put a lot of force on the shifter to downshift/ and slightly less force (still a lot) on it to shift up. The fluids are fine i just changed them, the clutch does not slip at all. We messed with the adjuster on the cable, but that didn't help. Could this be a pressure plate or throwout bearing issue? I'm really not sure how to proceed on this, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

BadAssPerformance
04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Doesn't go into gears like it grinds as if the clutch is not disengaged? ....... Is the cable adjuster under the pedal all the way out? The cable might have stretched?

Doesn't go into gears like it is stiff even with the engine off? ....... Might be a bent or broken shift fork in the trans.

Spirit's-R-Fun
04-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Just tested it with the car turned off and it switches into each gear just fine. When the car is turned on and i try to switch into reverse it makes a VERY nasty noise and will eventually go into gear if i strong arm it. When i try switching into
other gears when it is turned on, i do not hear the nasty noise, but i do have to strongarm it. The forcing it does produce and audible clunk from the tranny, but i think that's due to the forcing... Adjusted the cable adjuster all the way and same thing...Since it switches into gear when the car is off, does this point to something? Thanks again!

Scott

Aries_Turbo
04-21-2006, 11:40 PM
yeah I helped him make sure the self adjuster was working properly and it is. its like the clutch isnt disengaging all the way especially when going into reverse.

Brian

BadAssPerformance
04-22-2006, 01:33 AM
So the adjuster is working properly, is it all the way out at the limit as far as it goes? Maybe a stretched cable? Look by where it attaches to the strut tower bracket, they usually crush right there. You can troubleshoot a stretched cable by adding some washers at the end where it attaches to the lever on the trans...

Aries_Turbo
04-23-2006, 12:49 AM
i dont think its at the limit but I'll check. I even took the little rubber block out at the arm to take all the slack out just to test and the adjuster took that little bit of slack out too so I doubt its at the end. I'll double check.

Brian

BadAssPerformance
04-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Which rubber chunk? If its the one I think you mean then that would hurt the situation...