PDA

View Full Version : 97 Sebring convertible

black86glhs
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Neighbor has this vehicle and asked me to take a look at it. Check engine light is on, but when I hook up my snap-on scanner to it, I get no communication with ECM. It is hard to start. Like it is dumping fuel. Has new plugs and wires. If you floor it while cranking, it will start and clear itself out. My concern is no comm with the ECM. There are 2 computers next to the air box, which one is the ECM?
Also, the last 2 fuses are missing from the lower row in the driver's side interior fuse panel. They have ABS FUSE written under them. Do these power anything else? I do not have schematics. As soon as you put a fuse in the second one, it blows, which means something is shorted. Any help is greatly appreciated.:nod:

JohnnyIroc
05-04-2009, 10:40 AM
well in my 96 caravan the ECM is the one on the right side
its next to the fuse box and the other one is like above the trans kind of
if that helps at all

black86glhs
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks. It looks like the ECM is next to the air box. I traced the injector wires to the back connector of the ECM. I don't have any schematics for the wiring on these cars. I was wondering if the air bag stuff was run by the ECM(I know...sounds odd) and what fuses run what?? I know why my neighbor got the car for so cheap...LOL.:nod:

Turbodave
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
2.5V6? had a bunch of distributor problems with one of those in a friend's Stratus, car would bog out under load and was hard starting.

black86glhs
05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
2.5V6? had a bunch of distributor problems with one of those in a friend's Stratus, car would bog out under load and was hard starting.Dave, this thing is doing the same and it is the 2.5 V6. I'm concerned with the no communication with the ECM part. Did you have any issues like that. Also, did you replace the distributor?

WickedShelby88
05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Check the cap and rotor. Those wear out as do the plugs and can cause the same issue. Also you may have oil seepage into the dist. My main concern would be the no communication with the ECM. May be a software issue too. Can you get it to ZONO to see if one of their cheapo scanners will read codes. If its a TCM code you may not be able to read it with the Snapper without the trans cartridge IIRC. Are you using an MT2500?

black86glhs
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Check the cap and rotor. Those wear out as do the plugs and can cause the same issue. Also you may have oil seepage into the dist. My main concern would be the no communication with the ECM. May be a software issue too. Can you get it to ZONO to see if one of their cheapo scanners will read codes. If its a TCM code you may not be able to read it with the Snapper without the trans cartridge IIRC. Are you using an MT2500?Yeah its a MT2500, Joe. I do have another reader/scantool that my wife got me for Christmas. I'll try it later. The part that concerns me is the blowing of the fuse above the "air bag" writing in the fuse panel. After trying different fuse sizes, found the Injector/fuel pump fuse under the hood blown??!! Replaced it and it is fine now. It was doing all of this before, not after playing with the fuses, so I didn't cause it.
Oh yeah, the scanner works fine. Used it on the S the day before, just with the Chryco adapter in place of the OBDII one.

Does anyone have wiring schematics for the 97-200* Sebring Conv?

WickedShelby88
05-04-2009, 03:14 PM
These little buggers seem to have lots of gremlins anyhow. They are their own car in the line up and didn't share a whole lot with the sedan from 96-?? Air bag fuse blowing is not a good sign. I have to wonder if its been wrecked. For some crazy reason these cars get wrecked all too often or the ones that are wrecks are commonly pawned off at a used car lot as clean cars. Definitely sounds like this one has more than 1 issue.

black86glhs
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
These little buggers seem to have lots of gremlins anyhow. They are their own car in the line up and didn't share a whole lot with the sedan from 96-?? Air bag fuse blowing is not a good sign. I have to wonder if its been wrecked. For some crazy reason these cars get wrecked all too often or the ones that are wrecks are commonly pawned off at a used car lot as clean cars. Definitely sounds like this one has more than 1 issue.Don't remind me!!:yuck:

:lol:

Turbodave
05-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Dave, this thing is doing the same and it is the 2.5 V6. I'm concerned with the no communication with the ECM part. Did you have any issues like that. Also, did you replace the distributor?

I don't have a scan tool for anything newer than 1991 so didn't get to check for any communication issues. I was able to do the key turn to get the codes and that's how I diagnosed the ignition misfire on the one I was working on. I did have to replace the distributor, twice, the first one failed after a few weeks. Those things are ridiculously priced, I think the crappy reman one was around $300, a new one from Mopar was over $900.

I've the Mitchell CD for that car, so if you can get me your email I'll try to get you some schematics tonight.

Not sure what would be causing the blown fuse, Had a similar prob on the neon, bad alternator would cause the fuel pump fuse to blow randomly, they were on the same circuit. Only car to ever leave me dead on the side of the road.

WickedShelby88
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
A salvage yard with a guarantee might be your best bet on a dist, but even then its still a crap shoot. Didn't even think about the key on key off method on something this new. Good call Dave!

black86glhs
05-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Dave....you get my PM?
Now....I got a code 17 & 27 out of it. Now to see what those are.:nod: