PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Grand Caravan SE -- ABS controller meltdown, now no gauges???

riceboyler
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
My wife's van, a 97 Grand Caravan SE with the 3.3L V6 and the EATX, experienced a bit of a meltdown yesterday. About 6 months ago, while we were visiting my mother in Virginia, I made the mistake of leaving my 5 and 3 year old boys in it for a second with the keys in it (but not running). Well, my 3 year old being the curious kid he is shifted the tranny down into revers and it rolled down the driveway, across the street and into a set of cement steps. The damage was limited to a destroyed tailpipe, and the ABS controller case getting cracked open. I had intended on replacing it, but other priorities (like keeping my TDs running) took higher priority.

Yesterday, we had a bad thunderstorm early in the morning, and as I came out to get in my car to go to work, I smelled something burning and saw smoke coming from under her van. I looked under and saw flames under the van (freaked me out, lemme tell ya). I put the fire out and then looked at the damage. The connector going into what I thought was JUST the ABS controller (sits on top of the k-member, has hydraulic lines going into it) was melted, and the majority of the controller itself was melted down. Additionally, the fire had taken about an inch of the insulation off the harness itself.

Now, personally, for the time being, I could care less about the ABS, but the problem is that we now are throwing codes 46 and 66 (indicating no signal from either the Body Control Module or the Transmission Control Module) and we have NO gauges. No speedo, tach, fuel or temp. No odometer or tranny indicator either. Strange thing is that the indicators across the top of the dash (SEL, turn signal indicators, high beam, etc.) are still fine.

What was that box? And the harness that plugs into it, is it a sub harness that I can unplug somewhere else, or will I have to chop the wires off where the insulation and solder back on a new connector? Any advice is certainly welcome.