PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe location on TIII exhaust manifold

iTurbo
04-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Can anybody descirbe where to drill and tap my TIII exhaust manifold for the EGT probe? I should have had LWP do this when I had it ported, but I wasn't planning on EGT back then.

There is a boss on the manifold on the top side near the turbine flange? Maybe there?? Also, do most probes have 1/8 NPT thread?

iTurbo
04-22-2006, 12:53 AM
How about the turbine housing?

Frank
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Put it as close to cylinder's port as possible.

Frank

Pat
04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I have mine about 1" from the #4 exhaust port. Some have used the boss on the "collector" between 2 and 3.

mark
04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
when you install the egt, do you just drill into the ex mani? do you do this while its on the car, how do you get the metal chips out?

green IROC R/T
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
I am sending my ported manifold out to get ceramic coated and want to drill it for a temp sensor- what thread should I tap it?

mpgmike
05-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Some EGT probes are 1/8" NPT and a few are 1/4" NPT. I drill & tap for the 1/4" NPT then add a 1/4-1/8 bushing so either will work (on the ones I do for others).

Chris Faulk
05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622

:thumb:

86Shelby
05-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Here's my manifold, easy access on runner #2.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/Ported_and_Thermal_Coated_Exhaust_Manifold1.jpg

Chris Faulk
05-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Put it as close to cylinder's port as possible.

Frank

Explain to me why that's best please Frank. :thumb:

Frank
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Explain to me why that's best please Frank. :thumb:

The reason for measuring EGT is primarily to determine when you are nearing the point of wrecking your motor due to melting a piston, etc. Temperature decrease as you move further away from the combustion chamber. Since you want accurate results, you need to measure as close as possible....

Frank

Chris Faulk
06-02-2006, 11:13 PM
The reason for measuring EGT is primarily to determine when you are nearing the point of wrecking your motor due to melting a piston, etc. Temperature decrease as you move further away from the combustion chamber. Since you want accurate results, you need to measure as close as possible....

Frank

So a collective temp. measured at the flange would not be a good idea? I have a wideband installed so I'm not solely dependent on the EGT, but was just wondering.

The problem I see is that most will only monitor one cylinder. So if something goes wrong in another cylinder and you're only measuring one then you're in trouble. I'd think measuring at the flange would still be OK if you know the overall temp. may be a little less. I'd also think you'll be able to catch a drastic change in the temp. if any cylinder goes awry. Poor thinking?

Best option is 4 probes like you did. :thumb:

Frank
06-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Well measuring one cylinder or all of them with one has both issues as you began to state with one clyinder. Monitoring all has the following disadvantage... say you had 1300 1600 1400 1400 and you had no thermal loss at the flange (which you do have some), you would see 1425 at the flange and you have no idea that a cylinder is too high.... this is why I went with 4. Its my insurance policy when running big power.

Frank

Chris Faulk
06-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Well measuring one cylinder or all of them with one has both issues as you began to state with one clyinder. Monitoring all has the following disadvantage... say you had 1300 1600 1400 1400 and you had no thermal loss at the flange (which you do have some), you would see 1425 at the flange and you have no idea that a cylinder is too high.... this is why I went with 4. Its my insurance policy when running big power.

Frank

Well I knew you'd not be able to tell which cylinder was off, but you'd still be able to tell something at least. I agree with you BTW...not arguing. :thumb:

Here's my insurance policy my friend...... :eyebrows:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/go-to73/1991%20Spirit%20RT/0d6cdeed.jpg

Turbo3Iroc
06-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Chris, which wideband setup is that?

bansheenut420
06-07-2006, 10:38 AM
From the looks and sound of it, its the Zeitronix set. Very nice set-up. You can monitor 4 inputs(Your choice of a/f ratio, lambda, egt, boost, tps, RPM, and one user input if I remember right) on the display screen and data log even more inputs than that. Can't wait to use mine :evil:

2.216VTurbo
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
I too am sampling from each runner (tube header). It's suprising the amount of difference there is between each cylinder:( If I 'tune' for the leanest cylinder (#4 on my set up) two are fat as heck and one is pretty close to #4. Realistically the only real way to fix it is to make physical changes to the intake manifold to adjust for flow variations. Note: Mine is on a 16V Masi set up with custom In/Ex so stock componants may well be much better matched.:o Although work is starting on my TIII set up:eyebrows: ...

Chris Faulk
06-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Chris, which wideband setup is that?

Sorry I sent a PM, but did not post it here in public. My setup is the Innovate LC-1. It has expansion capabilities with the AuxBox, but I won't be using that for a while.

Chris Faulk
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
From the looks and sound of it, its the Zeitronix set. Very nice set-up. You can monitor 4 inputs(Your choice of a/f ratio, lambda, egt, boost, tps, RPM, and one user input if I remember right) on the display screen and data log even more inputs than that. Can't wait to use mine :evil:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4102

Here you go bro.

The S is Silent
06-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I put mine in the collector like Chris did...using the same reasoning that he did. After reading all the jazz about 3 being hottest, and 4 being hottest, I would hate to put it in one and have the other cause problems. I also don't like the idea of monitoring an entire engine from one cylinder? Is it just wishful thinking that if something goes wrong with an injector, I can catch it with the EGT in the collector before something burns up?

With it in the collector, I'll take the conservative approach and shoot for 1400 or 1450 as an average.

Chris Faulk
06-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I put mine in the collector like Chris did...using the same reasoning that he did. After reading all the jazz about 3 being hottest, and 4 being hottest, I would hate to put it in one and have the other cause problems. I also don't like the idea of monitoring an entire engine from one cylinder? Is it just wishful thinking that if something goes wrong with an injector, I can catch it with the EGT in the collector before something burns up?

With it in the collector, I'll take the conservative approach and shoot for 1400 or 1450 as an average.

That was my thinking...I'm sure hoping that if 1 cylinder went down you'd notice pretty quick that the EGT is higher than it should be.

At the collector where I have mine is really only about 3" from where it *should* be. I can't imagine that the temperature would be affected much at all.