PDA

View Full Version : tips for A413 swap?

89DaytonaTII
04-19-2006, 08:39 PM
I need to swap an auto trans within an afternoon. I know it can easily be done, but I've never done it before. Can anyone offers some tips so that I can do the job more efficiently? Just doing the trans. and leaving the converter in place.

I'm not a newb, I've got the basics of the job covered, but how about some of the specifcs? Thanks a ton guys!

looneytuner
04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Basically the same as manual directions. The convertor comes out with the transmission. Make sure the convertor is all the way on the transmssion shaft. It should be recessed in bellhousing.
First rotat engine to tdc. Remove inspection plate. Mark the closest bolt and flex plate with paint. Rotate engine to loosen other bolts. It WILL take patience to get the torque convertor all the way on the input shaft. The last spline is hard to get to mesh. A transmission shop gave me some encouragement. He said sometimes they go and sometimes he wants to smash them.
It's also a good time to paint the tq timing marks so they are easily seen. Check the axle seals and the input seal. easily replaced before installing.

89DaytonaTII
04-20-2006, 12:48 AM
thanks!

When I got the replacement from the JY I just unbolted the trans and slide the input shaft/trans out of the converter which I did not even touch.

Although I don't want to know how much of a pain it would be to do that in reverse. :p

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Also replace the rear main seal.

Try to drain out as much fluid as possible, drop the pan and try to save the gasket so you can just put the pan back on. This will save one hell of a mess. Support the engine using the oil pan with a jack so you can wiggle the trans and move them around to get the best height so the trans slides out without much hassle.

89DaytonaTII
04-20-2006, 03:29 AM
The car is being sold this weekend and I need to swap the trans before then. So I'm not really worried about longer term maintenance, as long as it works properly when the new owner buys it.

Simon, are you saying to loosen the engine mounts and support it by the pan so that I can wiggle the entire assembly around and get it in the best position?

Will it not basically just drop out after the case and flex plate bolts are removed? (axles too of course)

turbocoupe
04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
The car is being sold this weekend and I need to swap the trans before then. So I'm not really worried about longer term maintenance, as long as it works properly when the new owner buys it.

Simon, are you saying to loosen the engine mounts and support it by the pan so that I can wiggle the entire assembly around and get it in the best position?

Will it not basically just drop out after the case and flex plate bolts are removed? (axles too of course)

NO, what i think Simon is trying to say is when you take the transmission out the transmission side of the engine sags and makes it hard to put the new tranny in so with a jack you get proper height

turbovanmanČ
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
^^^^^^^and you can rip out the right side mount letting all that weight hang on it, not to mention you could pull some wiring out of the connectors, :censored:

89DaytonaTII
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I gotcha now. thanks!

turbocoupe
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
^^^^^^^and you can rip out the right side mount letting all that weight hang on it, not to mention you could pull some wiring out of the connectors, :censored:
:thumb: :amen: