PDA

View Full Version : So freaking confused!!!

turbomopar87
04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
this is kinda hard to explain, but if you know know you're 2.2's you will be able to help me. Car is an 87 shelby Z...

I have been having trouble with ripping through cv boots like crazy on my passenger side, the boot rubs on the a-arm. I thought it was a bent k -frame, and was told the same from a local shop when i had them look at it. I did get in a small accident, didnt think it was enough to bend the k-frame.

When Gary Donovan came over my house to drop a car off i bought, he looked at my motor and said my passenger side motor mount was up-side down. This made sense in a way, and he is very experienced so i figured he is right.

Well today i jacked the motor up and flip the mount over. It was barand new mount last year when i built the motor (got the motor in the car in march 05) Its a poly mount from FWD-P. When i put it back on now, the top of the mounting bracket off the block has 1" of space from the top of the actual poly mount! WTF?!?! I looked at my 86 C/S and that mount doesnt have that much room, it has maybe 1/4".

Now when you look at a poly mount while its out, there are 2 "bubbles" of the black poly sticking out each side. These are now on the TOP. They are on the top on the stock mount in my C/S also.

Why does this mount sit so damn funny? Will it go back to normal after it sits and the poly gets some weight on it in the opposite direction? I am so confused. The axel clears the a-arm now, but the mount looks absurdly wrong.

I really want to put a pic up, but i dont have a camera around, my sister has it and is in Spain. I will try and get a pic tomaro.

someone please help...i am regitering the car on fri and havn't had it on the road since fall...I WANNA DRIVE IT!!!

altered7151
04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
It sounds like maybe the material has collapsed from being put on upside down. I would mount it the right way and drive it a bit to see if it settles. Make sure you center your motor too.

The S is Silent
04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Your old mount is sagging if it's the stock mount in the CS. Chances are it is original, and they get old and sag badly. The poly one is much less forgiving, so it will raise things up A LOT. As for the two bubbles...they are supposed to be there...it's just the way the mount is designed.

turbomopar87
04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
It sounds like maybe the material has collapsed from being put on upside down. I would mount it the right way and drive it a bit to see if it settles. Make sure you center your motor too.

what do you mean by center the motor? And yeah, i kinda thought the material might be colapsed too, so i am smarter then i tought, lol.

Your old mount is sagging if it's the stock mount in the CS. Chances are it is original, and they get old and sag badly. The poly one is much less forgiving, so it will raise things up A LOT. As for the two bubbles...they are supposed to be there...it's just the way the mount is designed.

yea, the C/S is sagging, but its a BIG difference. And i know the 'bubbles' are supposed to be there, wasnt sure if they should be on the top or bottom when its mounted?

tryingbe
04-20-2006, 01:48 AM
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

inmyshadow
04-20-2006, 03:53 AM
How about this idea? Does your car have the two shims that go under the passenger side motor mount?

Those shims are there to keep the axle from hitting the kframe. I went through this on my first turbo shadow in 93.

later

turbomopar87
04-20-2006, 07:18 AM
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

thanks, that pic of the pass. mount looks like mine did before i flipped it, so i guess mine is ok.

How about this idea? Does your car have the two shims that go under the passenger side motor mount?

Those shims are there to keep the axle from hitting the kframe. I went through this on my first turbo shadow in 93.

later

lol, yeah, i know those are supposed to be there. I actually had made 2 additional shims, 1/2 inch think each and put those on top of the other ones and that got the axle off, but not enough.

i will see how this mount settles down with the weight and hopefully its fine.

thanks alot