PDA

View Full Version : Can't get in to my trunk

Twisted Noodle
04-24-2009, 06:44 PM
1987 Shelby Lancer

I have both a keyed lock (my key doesn't work) and I have a remote lever right below the gas filler opener lever. Neither of them work. I took apart the trim and looked. The cable is connected still. I pull the lever and the cable pulls out.. When I release the lever it pulls back down to the floor as it should. There is tension on the release lever.

Is there another way to pop the trunk? I tried to crawl in from the rear seats but the interior trim stops me from doing anything. I can't see the cable going down under the car anywhere (obviously) The only thing I think I can do is get a new key made at a dealership. The one I have is a copy. So that might be the problem. I don't want to pay 50 + dollars to have this done if I can get it to work myself.

Thanks
Nate

looneytuner
04-24-2009, 06:53 PM
My mechanic does towing for 2 towns and has a key bucket. I went through his stash of Mopar keys and found both keys for one of my cars.

Shelby Lancer has fold down seats. You can't crawl in the trunk? You should be able to remove the panel in the trunk. Once you get it open and the trim off, wash the lock down with PB BLASTER'
Also have someone push down on the trunk while you pull the lever.

Twisted Noodle
04-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I haven't put 100% commitment into trying to get the trim off in the trunk. It didn't look like it was possible with ruining something.. but I am going to give it a shot now.
Thank you

BadAssPerformance
04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
IIR there are screws that hold the back trim panel in screwing in towards the back of the vehicle. you have to feel around teh carpet to find them as tehy are recessed... if you take them all out you might be able to flex the panel up carefully and fit your arm behind to eff with the cable or lock mechanism?

Twisted Noodle
04-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I did get it.. I took the screws out.. but what kills me is there is a little lever that says "engage" and "disengage" for the remote lever...guess where it was...:mad:

BadAssPerformance
04-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Cool deal :thumb:

Yeah thats so the valet cannot pop the trunk... so only smart valets that know the seats fold down can steal you sh!t? :rolleyes:

Twisted Noodle
04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, thanks for the motivation guys. I am happy, :D <--- like this.

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2009, 10:07 AM
LOL cool :thumb:

raccoon
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
anyone have advice to fix this problem on a 2001 maxima?

someone slammed the lid and now its ------. key wont work, the electric popper makes the correct unlocking sounds. but nothing :(

oh and the seats do not fold down, just the arm rest has a hole for ski's or lumber i guess. dont think I can fit in there.

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2009, 10:27 AM
That sounds a bit harder if you cannot fit thru the seat!

Why wont the key work?

raccoon
04-25-2009, 10:33 AM
feels like its jammed up. the key will allow the cylinder to move a little.

I dont wanna get to violent with it yet, I think these are chipped keys and cost an arm and a leg.

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2009, 10:34 AM
but it wont rotate? assuming it used to rotate... spray a bunch of lube in there to make sure the tumblers are not stuck and work the key around untill it rotates....

raccoon
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Ill try the lube. but I think its the latch somehow jammed up.

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2009, 11:56 AM
maybe pull up or push down on the deck lid while fiddling with the key?

raccoon
04-25-2009, 11:58 AM
yea nothing is working, Maybe its time to call around and find a new truck lid the same colour to replace this one once I cut some holes in it.

or is that going too far?

BadAssPerformance
04-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd mess with it more... if you dont care about the car, use a slide hammer and yank the lock cylinder out... might not eff the sheetmetal too bad? fix the problem, get a lock cylinder from the parts store? not sure how thse are held in if its a clip like a mopar? if its bolted in, its gonna eff the lid tho.