PDA

View Full Version : 1986 GLHS Spare Tire

168glhs1986
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
All GLHS's came with the donut size spare, right? I haven't tried to fit a GLHS Centurion in the spare wheel area but I'm assuming it doesn't fit and no GLHS's came with the Centurion spare. Can someone confirm that no 1986 GLHS came from Shelby with a Centurion spare tire?

Marcus86GLHS
04-24-2009, 05:38 PM
all came w/ the space saver. a 205/50-15 wheel/tire will fit into the omni spare tile wheel well, i've done it.

4 l-bodies
04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
It was an option for a full size spare (with matching aluminum pizza or swiss cheese wheel depending on year) on the GLH's. Probably on the SC too. Pretty rare option though. Only seen it a couple times. Space saver only on the GLHS for sure.
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Todd, so it was a factory-installed option for the glh? i ask because my very 1st tm, a 1-owner used 1985 glh turbo (black over silver) with about 5,000 miles, had a 5th pizza wheel and goodyear eagle as a spare and the seller told me he had purchased the extra wheel/tire himself after picking up his new glht....there was nothing noted on the window sticker or invoice for this car. and i dont see the option mentioned in the factory dealer brochure either.

was the option from dodge or the dealer?

4 l-bodies
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Marcus,
I have seen two 84 N/A GLH's with full size spares with matching swiss cheese wheels. Both were black cars and both were original owner cars. I have also seen an original owner silver 86 GLHT with a pizza wheel in the trunk. The Mopar brochure for 86 Omni lists a matching conventional full size spare tire as an extra cost option on both the base and SE models. GLH's were based on the base model. Since 84 & 86 listed this. I assumed 85 would be the same. None of the window stickers I have, have the convention spare option. It was probably fairly spendy. I would guess maybe as high as a couple hundred dollar option on the GLH's with the Goodyear rubber & alloy wheel. Hence the non popularity. Full size conventional spares for the 13" wheels were quite common. In fact within the last year, I found four unused (never seen pavement) inside Omni's in the salvage yard. I bought them for my buddies low buck Omni. $5 dollars each at the local U-pull-it:D Goodyear Vector's ring a bell.
I sat in on the ordering of my buddies red with silver 85 GLHT. The salesman (who was a friend of my buddies) had to leave the room several times to find out answers to some of our questions like available interior colors, whether metallic and non-metallic paint both had clear coat, hood vent on turbo models, etc. My point is the salesman was a long term employee, and he still didn't know too much about what was available and what wasn't. I wish more people would post their window stickers. That would be fun to see some really bizarre options.
I ordered a new 84 CRX. I ordered one goofy option for that reason alone. It was a electric blanket for the battery! :p. For real.:nod: I'll bet people still shake their heads on that one. Don't think I ever used it.

Todd

Todd, so it was a factory-installed option for the glh? i ask because my very 1st tm, a 1-owner used 1985 glh turbo (black over silver) with about 5,000 miles, had a 5th pizza wheel and goodyear eagle as a spare and the seller told me he had purchased the extra wheel/tire himself after picking up his new glht....there was nothing noted on the window sticker or invoice for this car. and i dont see the option mentioned in the factory dealer brochure either.

was the option from dodge or the dealer?

Marcus86GLHS
04-27-2009, 05:10 AM
".......The Mopar brochure for 86 Omni lists a matching conventional full size spare tire as an extra cost option on both the base and SE models......"

good info i missed that tidbit.

were full size spares/wheel optional on other tm's, like the daytona shelby for example?

168glhs1986
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Great info!