PDA

View Full Version : V/C gasket

Warren Stramer
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
With my solid adjustable lifters I anticipate having to remove the valve cover often for lash checks. So I am going back to a factory cast cover. My qestion is....who makes a v/c gasket for the cast cover that will alow me to remove and replace many times and not leak? I can't be messing with silicon seal every time I have to check and adjust valve lash.
Is there a differance between early (1984) cast valve covers and later ones? Thanks, Warren

Mario
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
89 and up are the one piece covers. Most autoparts sell a nice one piece gasket. On and off all day long.

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I went back to using only the mopar black one piece gaskets
not sure what autozone sells but.....
I had problems with the blue silicon felpro ones
the work great but if your pulling the cover on and off the felpro's seem to expand
which is good for sealing, but if it pops out of the groove while it's off the car
I've had them grow 1"+ and they'll never fit back in the valve cover
I tried using gorilla snout (3m black trim adhesive) to hold the gasket in place
but after talking with Mike Marra about the mopar ones I've using them instead

Warren Stramer
04-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. So what you are saying is only the 89 up cover will have or use the Mopar reuseable gasket?, not the 84 cover I have?
anyone have the Mopar part# handy?

contraption22
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I went back to using only the mopar black one piece gaskets
not sure what autozone sells but.....
I had problems with the blue silicon felpro ones
the work great but if your pulling the cover on and off the felpro's seem to expand
which is good for sealing, but if it pops out of the groove while it's off the car
I've had them grow 1"+ and they'll never fit back in the valve cover
I tried using gorilla snout (3m black trim adhesive) to hold the gasket in place
but after talking with Mike Marra about the mopar ones I've using them instead

^^^^ what Bruce said. I'm not a fan of the blue FelPro ones. The Mopar ones I have used over and over and over and over and over. I glue em to the VC with a little bit of Mopar gray RTV at the critical points and corners, and let it set up on the valvecover before I put it on, that way there is no chance the RTV will stick to the head anywhere and pull the gasket off the VC.

BadFastGTC
04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Those Fel-Pro gaskets do suck.......

^^^^ what Bruce said. I'm not a fan of the blue FelPro ones. The Mopar ones I have used over and over and over and over and over. I glue em to the VC with a little bit of Mopar gray RTV at the critical points and corners, and let it set up on the valvecover before I put it on, that way there is no chance the RTV will stick to the head anywhere and pull the gasket off the VC.

135sohc
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys. So what you are saying is only the 89 up cover will have or use the Mopar reuseable gasket?, not the 84 cover I have?

89+ on the turbo VC's and 93+ TBI cast valve covers use the same O-ring type gasket. The mopar one was actually cheaper than the felpro when I replaced mine

P/N 4343882

contraption22
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM

I've got a few 89-up one-piece gasket covers here. I'll save you the money of getting one from chrysler. Just send me one of those nifty headers whenever you get a chance:)

Seriously tho. I can send an '89 up valve cover out to you for a few bucks for shipping.

GLHNSLHT2
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
both my 89+ VC's with mopar seals seep an oil mist down the sides of the head. Damn Mobil 1 5w30. That's all I can chalk it up to. I keep it clean with hot water out of the pressure washer in the summer but in the winter it builds up. Never drips, just makes the head black and dirty.

turbovanmanČ
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Yep, blue one sucks, I like the Corteco one's-they were black, but I don't know if they are around anymore, will have to switch to Mopar ones.

Warren Stramer
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
THANK YOU ALL! that was fast.

BadAssPerformance
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
'89+ VC's rule! You can also RTV the gasket into the VC channel so it stays in there and you dont have to chase it time to time. :thumb:

Juggy
04-24-2009, 11:10 AM
hey guys last time i purchased a felpro VC gasket here in canada last year, it was black for some reason....