PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt tensioner idea...

R/T
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I have the 249 belt - sure seems tight...Soooo...

What is the diameter of the tall block tensioner??

I did some shopping at the junk yard and found some promising steel units:

Mopar 3.5L V6 idler: 2.25"

Mopar 2.4L "head" idler: just a wee bit smaller than the 3.5 unit.

Mazda 4 cylinder idler: 2.00"

So I mounted the Mazda unit at the lower motor mount/PS bracket hole, used
a longer bolt - Perfect!!! :thumb:

Backspacing is exactly what is needed, and belt tension is just right on the front side of the belt.

There is no adjustment, but from what you peeps say the tall block unit is too tight to adjust any way...

I would like more "wrap" from the belt around the crank, as the belt goes straight up from the crank to the idler above, but this also gives a good angle from the exhaust sprocket to the idler around the PS bracket... :clap:

Pics to come....

1985ShlbyChrger
04-20-2009, 10:12 PM
I have no issues with the tall deck tensioner being too tight, I actually need abigger tensioner. I'm out of adjustment. I'm using the same hole you are.

lancer402
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Tracy

Mine was tight too. What I did was take the bolt for the tensioner and ground off some of the threads that touch the inside bore of the tensioner hole. This reduced the diameter of the bolt and allowed the tensioner to move "out" from the belt reducing the tension and give more adjustment. Since I just removed the top of the threads it didn't affect the strength of the bolt and I of course didn't touch the threads that go into the block. Been working for a while now.

Will wait to see what you did when you post pics

andy

R/T
04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
I have no issues with the tall deck tensioner being too tight, I actually need abigger tensioner. I'm out of adjustment. I'm using the same hole you are.

How big is the tall tensioner??

I've never seen one.

Standard 2.2/2.5 is about 3"....

lancer402
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Tracy

If I was home I could measure a tall block tensioner but I'm not. sorry