PDA

View Full Version : I wanna do somthing diffrent...

ShadowFromHell
04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
So Ive got a rampage, this is uh... rough. No rust, but its had a hard life. I brought it home after it had set for many years. Rebuilt the carb, added some fresh gas and it fired to life, but spun a rod bearing 3 days later. It was pushed behind the shop, and dreams of a high HP power plant have been dancing in my head. Turbo 2.4's, a NA or boosted 3.0... or maybe even a high compression carb engine. But, like most projects money and time are always the problem.

I also had intended one when I first got it, to convert it to propane. Gas was 4+ a gallon and propane was $2. I did alot of research and found it was actually a cheap conversion due to the propane powered schwans trucks that are in the local JY's. Propane also has a octane around 105 so a high compression motor could easily run on "pump" gas. I also stumbled upon a website, that had propane powered toyota rockcrawlers. A few of them were running suck-through turbo setups... The high octane made the propane and boost a great setup.

So, after thinking about it, why not build a turbo 2.2... that runs on propane? I have all the parts to build a decent motor, a turbo, tons of easily converted log parts... Just makes sense!

So here is what Im thinking...
*use the rebuilt 84 turbo bottom end a guy gave me a few years ago, never been ran.
*use my g-head that has backcut valves and was rebuilt a year or too ago, to only run 3 miles before the oil pump seized, resulting in my tona getting parted.
*use a log intake/turbo with the injector holes welded shut, and smoothed out inside. Should make the intake flow better without the injectors in the middle of the port.
*then lastly, remove the factory TB from the turbo and build a nicer, freer flowing piece that would allow me to bolt on a propane carburetor.

Sounds simple enough, although as a whole it could be improved on. I have all the pieces aside from the propane bits, and even new they are not very expensive. I think 200+hp would be attain able and would make the l-body truck fly! There a few more factors to be considered, mainly spark control. So... what do you guys think? Do able?

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-19-2009, 04:42 PM
:thumb:go for it
I always thought a propane rockcrawler would be cool
isn't the motor octane rating higher but the anti-knock rating actually lower making it worse
plus how's the consumtion factor
alchol is 1/2 as much but sucks down 2x as much
would be neat though, I would solve and cause many issues, do it

bgbmxer
04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
propane might be cheaper but it runs like ethonal you use twice as much. also i have worked with propane since i was a forklift mechanic and its really not that complicated but i have never seen any propane lifts running turbos

ShadowFromHell
04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Well... I also work for a petrolem company. I get propane at cost +10%. I filed up my bbq last week for 80c a gallon! Even if it was a wash thou, I just think it would be a fun project. Very simple. The bad part is there really isnt any performance unit, so adding fuel may not be super easy. But, Ill try to figure it out. Worst case, does anyone know if you can run propane through a nitrous fuel solenoid? Ive got a wet kit just begging to be used :)

bgbmxer
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Well... I also work for a petrolem company. I get propane at cost +10%. I filed up my bbq last week for 80c a gallon! Even if it was a wash thou, I just think it would be a fun project. Very simple. The bad part is there really isnt any performance unit, so adding fuel may not be super easy. But, Ill try to figure it out. Worst case, does anyone know if you can run propane through a nitrous fuel solenoid? Ive got a wet kit just begging to be used :)

get on a deisel *ick forum and see what they are doing since they can use propane and nitrous on there trucks. only thing is if you spray that and it doesnt have a turbo its pretty much useless

GLHS60
07-27-2009, 03:20 AM
This is a great idea. My friend Tom and I have been planning on something like this for a few years but life keeps getting in the way of our many unfinished projects. I have owned many propane vehicles and presently have two. A 1986 Chevy cargo van and a 1984 Dodge 4x4. Both were carbed previously and run better than old beaters have any right to with excellent driveability. The type we use are the ones that use a mixer on a carb base or throttly body, essentially an on demand system. The advantages are no carb, injectors, fuel pump, electronic fuel system, much lower emissions and no oil contamination. I try to remember to change my oil within 25,000 miles although it still looks brand new. Propane is equally happy with draw through or blow through especiolly if intercooling. We havent built a Turbo Mopar propane car yet but are getting closer. The disadvantages are you need to be near a refill station and mileage will be slightly less depending on your compression ratio. If you run 10:1 it will be about equal. Any old members who remember Gus might recall some of his stories about his friend, AK MILLER, famous turbo propane expert. Gus told me he and AK, on a few ocassions, would roar around in AK's 2.3 Turbo Fairmont trying to get the cops attentiom so they would put the tail pipe sniffer in Aks car because they knew it would read zero emissions. I bough a few turbo/propane books and have a few extra copies if you might need one. Keep on it!!!

Thanks
Randy