PDA

View Full Version : 50 trim too small for a 3.0L

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Tossing around getting an AWD 3.0L Mini for the wife and putting a turbo on it. I have stage II and stage III turbines with .63 housings. 50, S50 and 60 trim T4 compressors. Will these work or am I looking at another turbo??

Ondonti
04-19-2009, 03:45 AM
The problem i had was that my airflow went off the right side of the compressor map. Especially since I was running such low boost on the turbo I had at the time (k27, which is like a 50 trim that flows a bit more).

Not that I could tell. Compressor outlet temps probably dont get crazy if you keep the boost low.
The 60 trim is the best that I remembered and I looked real quick at franks calc and it still looks the best. And when you turn up the boost, it actually moves better into the map while on the others it gets worse.
I would run the stage 3 over the stage 2. With the higher compression stock motor my P trim t4 wheel is making boost a lot sooner.
Stage 3 will probably feel like a stage 1 on a 2.2. Not really sure. Probably depends how easy you want it to be to roll into boost. with the auto trans it might make zero sense to go stage 2 because I can roll the throttle and anything above 2500 rpms will build boost (in any gear). Stage 2 would probably start spooling well below the converter stall (about 2300?). I want an a604 awd soooo bad! The newer ones seem to last longer too. I only see them in the junk yard when they have been hit.

You are gonna have to swap a 3.0 into the awd van......That would be awesome though.

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, thinking of it, I need a larger vehicle for the wife and trips to the snow belt, family is growing. Tossing options, :nod:

Ondonti
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Are you preggo again? :D
I was just thinking how the 60 trim is surge prone on 8 valves and even some 16 valves but the 3.0 should be able to move more air at less boost (and less rpms) so you move to the right of the map. Of course almost any decent turbo can surge if the turbine is too small for the compressor flow.

black86glhs
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Since this is going to be in the wifes van, is he going to need a 60? I don't know myself, just asking. Not saying it will only see 6 psi, but what would be good for a grocery getter?

Ondonti
04-19-2009, 09:44 PM
You need to get a compressor that will fit the volume the motor wants to move. The other t04e compressors are just not suited. 60 trim wouldnt be noticeable at all when you compare lag.

There are smaller turbos that might fit but they are not t04e. We think the Shelby prototype is a 16g but we are not sure. 16g doesnt fit very well but even bad turbo choices can perform.
A holset would probably fit but I get intimidated by the weird downpipe options and turbine housings.

bakes
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Since this is going to be in the wifes van, is he going to need a 60? I don't know myself, just asking. Not saying it will only see 6 psi, but what would be good for a grocery getter?

Are you kidding she will need the bigger size turbo to get the clothing sales:D
Go holset for the win.:eyebrows:

Oh i get you a pic of the van for you Simon this week:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2009, 11:57 PM

She's a boostaholic, plus I'll be driving it up the mountains and she'll most likely race it too, :nod:

Oh i get you a pic of the van for you Simon this week:thumb:

Sure, sounds good, :thumb:

black86glhs
04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
You need to get a compressor that will fit the volume the motor wants to move. The other t04e compressors are just not suited. 60 trim wouldnt be noticeable at all when you compare lag.

There are smaller turbos that might fit but they are not t04e. We think the Shelby prototype is a 16g but we are not sure. 16g doesnt fit very well but even bad turbo choices can perform.
A holset would probably fit but I get intimidated by the weird downpipe options and turbine housings.Good point. I forgot about it moving more air than the 2.2 or 2.5. No need to push barely enough air just to have it heat it up while doing it or run out of air...got it.

Oh i get you a pic of the van for you Simon this week:thumb:Another good point. My wife bought the V6 in both her first car(Beretta) and her Saturn(LW2). She hates an underpowered car.

She's a boostaholic, plus I'll be driving it up the mountains and she'll most likely race it too, :nod:

Sure, sounds good, :thumb:That alone means it wouldn't get a small turbo....you behind the wheel. Then you ad her racing it.....done deal...LOL!!!:thumb:

Juggy
08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
keep it n/a

or your gonna have 2 vans that dont run :p

turbovanmanČ
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
What? The van runs, :p

shackwrrr
09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Simon, you want to trade. I have a turbo that was recently built and It ended up being a t04b v trim. My 2.5 will push it over the surge line but it stays right in the center with a 3.0. I need a 50 trim.

Its mopar318's old turbo, the shop that built it for him told him it was a 54 trim but I measured it as a V trim which is 63 and the compressor cover is .60 AR.