PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please...

85_600
04-18-2006, 07:39 PM
As I have heard before, "Do the T2"...well, financially I can't right now. I'm looking to cut some corners, carefully cut corners.

What I'd like is some opinions on this setup. These are pics from TheDodgeGarage (I hoep Gary doesn't mind :o );

http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/tech_log_2.jpg
http://www.wadsnet.com/~megadeus/Pics/tech_log_3.jpg

Now, dont' take into consideration the location of the IC. I'm planning on having the Rad/IC Combo...so cooling the intake air won't be problem.

What I'd like to know is: Is there any problems with having the Log setup this way - with the inlet welded between #3 and #4? Will these two cylinders be richer than #1 & #2?

I read up on the Dan Culkin style of Log (where he re-welded the TB plate) and he had some issues of #1 and #2 being leaner than #3 and #4. I'd like to know if this would happen with this setup as well.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

yogurt_slinger
04-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Paul,.......Your gonna have the head off anyways to pop some new pistons in.. You have all the parts, except for maybe gaskets, the only other thing that you need is to make an adapter for the turbo inlet.. Once you get the head off and the new pistons in, converting to TII shouldn't *cost* you anymore, infact it'll probably be cheaper cause you don't have to do some freaky deaky expensive welding job to your log intake.....

DOOOO EEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT:thumb:

crazy1eye
04-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Check out my posts in http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80366

85_600
04-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Paul,.......Your gonna have the head off anyways to pop some new pistons in.. You have all the parts, except for maybe gaskets, the only other thing that you need is to make an adapter for the turbo inlet.. Once you get the head off and the new pistons in, converting to TII shouldn't *cost* you anymore, infact it'll probably be cheaper cause you don't have to do some freaky deaky expensive welding job to your log intake.....

DOOOO EEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT:thumb:

Well, for a breakdown of my expenses...

Engine Teardown Kit $68.00 FWD
Timing Belt $23.00 FWD

Rings $52.99 Advanced Auto
Rod Bearings $25.00 TU

Injectors $125.00 TU
Oil/Coolant Lines $110.00 TU
Oil Return Flange Gasket $1.00 TU
Assembly Lube $8.00 Car Quest

Those alone cost around $400...Now, for the "other items"...

Grainger Valve $37.00 Dawes Devices
Vaccum Block $28.00 FWD
Vaccum Line $32.00

Rad/IC Combo $50.00 (Not sure how much or where it's coming from)
Hoses/Clamps $60.00 (Guessimate)

Cat Convertor CTO-6906R Summit
Pipe Kit Racing Solutions
Muffler Summit

No prices on these because I was trying to elminate some things from doing the T2 to help keep the cost down.

So, total from the above prices listed is...A little over $600.

Now, as for modifying my log, my brother can weld this for me for peanuts, so that's no problem.
Other than that, all I'd have is the expense of the items totallying $400..Even that is a bit too much but at least it's for just getting the car going.

Now, if anyone can help me shop around for cheaper prices that would be great! :thumb: I've already been to:

Advanced Auto, Turbos Unleashed, FWD, RockAuto. They all seem to have the lowest prices that I can find.

I'd really like to do the T2, I have no problems with it besides the $$ problems. But, for me to do it and do it right, I think it's going to wait for now. Working with only an extra $100 a month just doesn't cut it these days.
Hell, I'm worth more dead than alive....:o

85_600
04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Check out my posts in http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80366

So, basically you didn't have any leaning or richness issues with your cylinders? If that's the case then there maybe two of these out there....

Oh, did you do anything to the stock exhaust? As it looks now that is the one BIG thing that needed to be cut from my price breakdown. I wish it wasn't..At least I have a 2.5" DP...that's a start:thumb:

tryingbe
04-18-2006, 10:08 PM
If you don't have money. You don't mod.

Simple as that.

85_600
04-18-2006, 10:23 PM
If you don't have money. You don't mod.

Simple as that.

I do have to fix up the compression problem, that's a given. And, as I have been thinking about this again, like Bryan said - I AM going to have the head off, so why not...

I'll figure it out..one way or another..

Whichever way this goes, I DO know I want to intercool it. I just want to keep the detonation well under control. Sure, I'd like the extra ponies that the IC will bring with it, but my main goal is to cool the intake air enough so I don't have to go through this problem (compression) again.

yogurt_slinger
04-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Grainger Valve $37.00 Dawes Devices
Vaccum Block $28.00 FWD
Vaccum Line $32.00

You don't need those things...... They aren't *NEEDED*.. You can find vac line alot cheaper and some plastic Tees, didn't cost me more than $10. Let the solenoid control boost for a while, you'll love the new founded power and should last you a little bit until you get a grainger and an make an alky kit..

Get used TII injectors, they can be had for probably nothing if you have some friends....hell, I can send you a set. there is nothing wrong with them.
you don't *need* a rad/int combo either, I can send you a TII intercooler for uber cheap, all you have to do is devise a way to mount it, which isn't that hard.
If your careful, you don't need the stainless turbo line kit..

Paul, TONS of people have done the conversion for literally pennies, the only thing that should really cost you is the gaskets and pistons..

my .02:thumb:

edit:
if you do the TII conversion, I will send you a TII intercooler for FREE.....:nod:

85_600
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
edit:
if you do the TII conversion, I will send you a TII intercooler for FREE.....:nod:

If you throw in the injectors it's a deal! LMK if you still need my home address :thumb:

Oh, the G valve - I would want to keep the boost down, at least for now...

WVRampage
04-18-2006, 11:22 PM
a one peice intake should be able to be had for cheap and then if you blow and ic hose the engine wont rev up do to a huge vacum leak(thats something that has always scared me about the TB before the I/C)thats my opinion but definantly get a intercooler if posible and I posible may have a 1 peice intake laying around but theres no fuel rail on it and I think the TB isnt there.

yogurt_slinger
04-18-2006, 11:26 PM
If you throw in the injectors it's a deal! LMK if you still need my home address :thumb:

Oh, the G valve - I would want to keep the boost down, at least for now...

Paul,

I'll have to look in the garage to see if I still have some(getting ready to move), otherwise I'll get you some. The 2.5 turbo and TII injectors are the same.

Send me your addy again, and I'll get that intercooler and the *9* headbolts out to you.:thumb:

Phreakish
04-24-2006, 05:46 PM
I've got a complete T1 one piece intake that I'd be willing to let go for a decent price, PM me if interested - it'd help with your conversion, and I'm flexy on price.

85_600
04-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I've got a complete T1 one piece intake that I'd be willing to let go for a decent price, PM me if interested - it'd help with your conversion, and I'm flexy on price.

Thanks for the offer Phreak but I have 99% of the T2 parts already. It's just the thought of doing my minor rebuild AND the T2 conversion that's giving me the cold feet :D

cordes
04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
You could build a grainger valve for about $10.