PDA

View Full Version : Choice of engine mounts FILLED?

Johnny
04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I now make and will continue to make (for now) the passenger side engine mount for the 1990-95 cars. Once you buy one, it will last forever.
But for some, the price is too high. As an alternative, would taking a new stock style mount and filling it with engine mount grade poly be something you would want and buy? It would sell for half the price. But not warranted because the stock aftermarket mounts are pretty bad to start with.

Let me know!

Johnny

Johnny
04-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Here is the solid one I make now.
http://www.polybushings.com/images/1000.jpg

Johnny
04-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Here is the stock one and what the filled one would be like.

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't own anything that new so I'll leave it up to those guys
I like your solid mounts but the blue and black is pretty
You need a solid mount black with a blue mopar M in the center :D

snoman
04-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Honestly, whats the difference between a solid one peice and a solid filled in 2 peices? as long as the filler bonds to the stock poly, it should all be the same.

I think "most"guys that would be interested are probably already making their own filled versions.

just outa curiosity, whats the durometer on your solid one? and price?
can/do you do fronts and drivers? I might be interested in a set because I'm too lazy to do another one(Idid my neon a few years back) but I'm more cheap than I am lazy!

Nice work too!
thanks

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Honestly, whats the difference between a solid one peice and a solid filled in 2 peices? as long as the filler bonds to the stock poly, it should all be the same.

I think "most"guys that would be interested are probably already making their own filled versions.

can/do you do fronts and drivers? I might be interested in a set because I'm too lazy to do another one(Idid my neon a few years back) but I'm more cheap than I am lazy!

Nice work too!
thanks

Price, as TM'ers are cheap sob's, :eyebrows:

The inserts are ok, I just prefer to get the right ones the first time and be done with it.

I've had my PB mounts for 4+ years, no signs of wear etc, and they've been abused, :hail:

Johnny
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
It is 60 durameter and the solid one shown above is $89.

can/do you do fronts and drivers?
I already make a soild front and a filled drivers.
Johnny

rx2mazda
04-18-2009, 09:02 PM
I like the performance of my solid mount and bobble strut, they got rid of my wheel-hop issues. I don't like the fact that mine came in the mail without paint, even though all the others i've seen were painted and I paid the same price. rust color solid mount doesnt' sit pretty in my engine bay.

If function is the same and price is half, I would buy the cheaper.

Xtrempickup
04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
if the performance is the same, id be happy with the filled ones. if its going to degrade like a stock one then screw that, the full poly one on my car is awesome, worth the dough

Johnny
04-18-2009, 11:55 PM
the fact that mine came in the mail without paint,
The bobble strut came without paint? Where did you get it?

86turboz
04-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Just curious, why dont people make completely solid mounts all the way around? Is it just because of the vibrations or is there another "more badder" reason?...lol

Johnny
04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
You mean why don't "others" make solid mounts like
I do for the FWD Dodge cars?
They are out there for many performance cars.
Or at least mount inserts to make the rubber firmer.
Yes it is a vibration issue.

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Just curious, why dont people make completely solid mounts all the way around? Is it just because of the vibrations or is there another "more badder" reason?...lol

A 2.5 with no BS's and solid mounts rattles and shakes but balanced, its smooth, :amen:

2.2's seem to be alot smoother but the BS's or balancing helps big time.

86turboz
04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
You mean why don't "others" make solid mounts like
I do for the FWD Dodge cars?
They are out there for many performance cars.
Or at least mount inserts to make the rubber firmer.
Yes it is a vibration issue.

I only saw one completely solid mount on your site(the same one you posted a pic of earlier in this thread).... is using poly better than just having a solid metal mount? I was planning on doing completely solid metal mounts on my car.

Johnny
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Here are more....
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/moparfrtmt2.html
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/3565.html
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/caliber.html
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/2469.html
http://www.polybushings.com/pages/moparbobble.html

Johnny
04-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Solid metal is fine for a "race car" only.
Poly is firm but still makes the car livable. I make them out of softer
polyurethane, but for race cars, I have super hard available.

Johnny

86turboz
04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Im sorry if you think I am asking stupid questions, but when I want to order your race poly mounts, do I just ask you for that material when I order?

Johnny
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
The only one I can make in hard material is the front mount and I can use the hard bushings on the bobble strut.
I have the front 84-89 in hard in stock right now. The 90-94 I would need to make.

Johnny

Johnny
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
132 lookers and 4 votes, come on guys!

Pat
04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Depends on the set up for me...solid for a race car, the filled for a street car since I'd bet it would be even softer, would vibrate less and would certainly be better/outlast a plain jane rubber mount.

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Depends on the set up for me...solid for a race car, the filled for a street car since I'd bet it would be even softer, would vibrate less and would certainly be better/outlast a plain jane rubber mount.

So for you that would be the 1st option button :p
anybody else need help?

rich tideswell
04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I've done this to mine so I voted that you keep making your mount as is and skip filling stockers. I'd leave filling stockers to the do-it-yourself crowd as it's not expensive or hard to get a hold of the material.

Also, not sure if this thread is appropriate, but when I filled my trans mount I thought it was pointless as it's upsidedown so a fully supported boxed mount would be nice if you were to start making those from scratch like you do the front mount.

moparzrule
04-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't ever see mention of the price difference, thats what is going to make the real determination right there. If filling the stocker is only $10 cheaper than a full poly one, there's no point.

Johnny
04-24-2009, 07:26 PM
The very first post did say price, 1/2 of the solid one.

djtang
04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Voted for both!

Off Topic: Any possibility of getting a commonblock lower alternator mount gutted and filled with poly? Mine is falling apart and despite having your upper alternator poly bushings (which are great btw!) I can't get the squeal to stop 100%! I would rather spend money on a poly replacement over OE!

Johnny
04-28-2009, 02:23 AM
OE is your choice! sorry.

Johnny
05-14-2009, 12:34 AM
I made a filled 1990-95 style passenger side mount and sent it to a customer to test.
I'll let you know about feedback.

Johnny

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2009, 03:54 AM
I made a filled 1990-95 style passenger side mount and sent it to a customer to test.
I'll let you know about feedback.

Johnny

Ohhhhhhhhh, thats pretty cool, :thumb:

moparzrule
05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I'll test one too :D

Johnny
05-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Next "tester" pays the $45 they will sell for. I am still making the solid ones for people that want them.

moparfwdsleeper
05-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Any word yet from the 'Tester'?

I'd like to get some feedback before I give you my opinion on what to start or not start making.

Johnny
05-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Here is the email I got:

Hey there, just got the mount installed on Monday. Looks very nice and
seems to make the car shift faster and smoother. I expected this though
due to worn out (read: completely shot) stock mounts. I think that
customers would be very happy with the performance and price of this new
mount and would see very little difference between it and solid mounts.

moparfwdsleeper
05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Who is this that did the testing?

Have they ever used the full poly?

How long did they 'test' it?

How did he 'test' it? DD or ran the piss out of it?
PS, I run the piss out of mine; DD I dont think so:p

Sorry for the questions, but he said shot stock mounts and then compared the filled to a full poly:confused:

I just want to make sure Im not considering it off someone's word who hasn't used the full poly. If I can get the same results I have in the past from the filled verus the full I'm all in on saving a few bucks. But I would like to know this person has some ground to stand on to make his word(s) worth taking.

Johnny
05-28-2009, 07:16 PM
He did not have a solid poly one in any of his cars that I know of. I am not trying to sell to people that want the full benefit of the full poly one. These will be for street only car...for people that want a better mount than stock but not the solid high performance one.
He only had it on a week when he wrote this to me. I was mainly concerned with vibration. Many who do not buy the solid one because of vibration concerns OR cost. This mount gives both.

moparfwdsleeper
05-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I understand what your saying, just wanted to know where his knowledge of the products you offer are at, I'm sure it's a nice product and one I'll likely try out.

Johnny
06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I will have a few of these made and bring them to SDAC!

Johnny

Johnny
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Now listed on the PolyBushings web site....

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/moparpassmt2.html