PDA

View Full Version : L98 Camaro gets walked by Shelby Lancer

iTurbo
04-18-2006, 05:01 AM
I drove my Shelby Lancer at work tonight and got to run an early '90s L98 Camaro. The guy was ahead of me in traffic and didn't notice me until he got on the gas a few times and didn't see me getting farther away. Finally there was some open road up ahead and he went for it before I was ready. The first time I was able to keep up, but that was all. Second time I started walking him but he got off the gas just as I was about to pass.

About 1/2 hour later, we meet up again in town. We both happen to catch a red light on the highway going out of town. Neither of us were revving, but I was ready this time. The light turns green and I launch OK, but then I notice the Camaro didn't really even try. Apparently he only wants to go from a roll; lucky me! I wait for him to catch up to me and even let him pass me a little, and then I floored it. We were going about 40 MPH and I left it in 3rd gear. As soon as I started gaining on him, he floors it also and I started walking by him. It was pretty bad....I actually waved as I went by!

I think the guy was pretty mad about it though. I took the exit onto the interstate to get to my next delivery and he turned onto an adjacent street, did a big 180' cookie and left back towards town. The best part of it was that I beat him with 12 psi (stock boost level). For a long time I had the boost turned up to 19 psi, but I turned it back down because of excessive boost at part throttle. The car is more driveable now, but it sure feels a lot slower.

Dave
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Nice kill!

Get a dual stage MBC. Solves all your problems. :thumb:

iTurbo
04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Yup, that's definately next. I refuse to turn up the boost until I get that and a WOT micro switch.

Dave
04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
My DD is set to 18psi, just be careful when getting into the gas. I can't imagine how you can spool up so quick as to where it's a problem getting into 14+psi while not being at WOT.

iTurbo
04-20-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm using grainger valve MBC (MM Racing) on both my Omni GLH and Shelby Lancer. I've found that if I start turning the boost up past factory levels, it will spool so fast it hits max boost in no time. It's like the boost level is not connected to throttle position at all. Once it hits about ~5 psi, it skyrockets. Both cars have stock TII turbochargers. Lancer is 2.2 with TII intercooler. Omni has 2.5 with NPR intercooler and boost hits very fast and hard in that car.