PDA

View Full Version : Help, car accelarates very slow

stampederunner
04-18-2006, 12:41 AM
I've been out driving my daytona recently and I have been noticing that it VERY slow when taking off. I have even tried to stop and power brake the car and let it build around 10 pounds of boost then release the brakes and floor it. The boost goes back down to zero and the rpms drop and then slowly raise. When the car is in boost it screams, it just really slow until then. For reference the car is alot slower than my daily driver sunfire, until boost hits. Specs on my car are as follows:

86 daytona with a t2 conversion, freshly rebuilt 2.2, auto, s60 turbo, conquest intercooler, 2.5 exhaust, s2 cam and a custom cal.

I have researched this in other threads and a lot of people respond to check cam timing, so I have checked the cam timing multiple times and it apears to be dead on. Any other ideas/suggestions?

SpoolinGLH
04-18-2006, 01:42 AM
what is the dist timing set to? 12*?

stampederunner
04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
yeah 12 deg.

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Do you have a cat installed? if so, it could be plugged up.

I know you've said this but it sounds like your cam timing is one tooth off.

stampederunner
04-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Well I thing I am checking the cam timing right, let me know if I am doing this wrong.
1 bump engine a few times until the timing mark on the trany is at zero
2 remove timing belt cover
3 the hole in the cam gear should be straight up and down

Lee'sdaytona
04-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Well I thing I am checking the cam timing right, let me know if I am doing this wrong.
1 bump engine a few times until the timing mark on the trany is at zero
2 remove timing belt cover
3 the hole in the cam gear should be straight up and down
Well number 3 is a little off...maybe thats your problem. The top circle should in fact be pointed a bit toward the firewall, as the engine leans back a bit. Imagine a clock, 12 o'clock is the circle your describing, but you also can use 9 and 3 o'clock to line up on the head....you'll see the lines...
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2006, 09:54 PM
The easiest way I find is to get one of those yellow paint pens. Mark the center of the valve cover at the seal and then back to the top of it. Now mark the back of the pulley, you will see a little indentation on the pulley-front side. Just mark the T-belt and the back of the pulley. Now you can easily see if your in time, :thumb:

stampederunner
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
So if I understand correctly in order to retard my cam timing the cam gear needs to rotate towards the firewall, and retarding the cam timing helps bottom end power. Guess its time to install that adjustable cam gear thats been sitting around my room.

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2006, 12:29 AM
So if I understand correctly in order to retard my cam timing the cam gear needs to rotate towards the firewall, and retarding the cam timing helps bottom end power. Guess its time to install that adjustable cam gear thats been sitting around my room.

I never remember this, I have it written down in my journal at work. Advancing the cam timing improves bottom end grunt, reduces lag and makes it peppier around town. This is good for big turbo's with auto's. The tradeoff is a softer top end. Retarding the cam does the opposite, of course.

wallace
04-19-2006, 07:02 AM
I never remember this, I have it written down in my journal at work. Retarding the cam timing improves bottom end grunt, reduces lag and makes it peppier around town. This is good for big turbo's with auto's. The tradeoff is a softer top end. Advancing the cam does the opposite, of course.

I believe advancing the cam timing can improve low end and retarding cam timing can improve top end.

GLHSKEN
04-19-2006, 08:35 AM
I believe advancing the cam timing can improve low end and retarding cam timing can improve top end.

Correct.

It the cam pulley is straight up, you have the cam off. you line the cam pulley up by aligning the 2 marks with the parting lines on the cam caps. Use a mirror to do this.

briceturbosports
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
what year is the engine ? if that cam is a roller and its an older block it will change cam time

stampederunner
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I know I'm 2 deg. off to start with because I'm using a square tooth cam gear with a cam designed for a round tooth. I remember hearing about the 2 deg. difference, but I can't remember if I'm advanced or retarded from where I should be.

GLHSKEN
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
it's 4^ off sq v/s round. Also 4 degrees will not affect it as much as it sounds like it is being affected. A tooth on the cam will.

briceturbosports
04-19-2006, 02:04 PM
with a s 60 turbo and an auto there will be lag to begin with so if its off it will be even worse

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2006, 03:23 PM
There should be no lag with an S60 turbo.

Ok, looked at my notes, to advance cam timing, rotate cam clockwise, and to retard, move cam anti-clockwise.

BTW, fixed my post, half asleep when I wrote it, durrrrrr, :p

stampederunner
04-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree with simon, the turbo itself isn't very laggy its spools up at very low rpms, its just that it takes a while for the engine to rev up to 2500 or so rpm's. If I'm cruizing along and punch it the power is there instantly, it just takes a while when first taking off in 1st gear.

looneytuner
04-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Check the plastic rivets on the shutter wheel. I bought a TC real cheap because it ran like that. the plastic tabs were loose.

GLHSKEN
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with simon, the turbo itself isn't very laggy its spools up at very low rpms, its just that it takes a while for the engine to rev up to 2500 or so rpm's. If I'm cruizing along and punch it the power is there instantly, it just takes a while when first taking off in 1st gear.

Your issue is a 2.2L auto trying to move a 3000lb car. 2.5L has the off boost grunt to do it.

If it moves fine up top, the timing is more than likely fine. If it was a 5 sp, you would have a great combo. Even with the 2.2L, driving technique helps a ton!!

stampederunner
04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I realize that its a heavy car. I built the car for good midrange to topend power and I feel I have a decent combo. There's just not something right though, it won't spin the tires and falls on its face when taking off. Ken if I drive the daytona to the spring fling this weekend would mind taking my car for a drive to see what I'm talking about.

GLHSKEN
04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
No problem... My daytona was the same way.

stampederunner
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
UPDATE: I played around with the adjustable cam gear and the car is doing a lot better. I have the cam gear advanced 4 deg. which puts me even with the round tooth cam gear. The tires will break loose from a stop and it spools up a lot quicker.

GLHSKEN
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Fantastic!!!