PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter placement good/bad idea

jamesmonty
04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
The car is a 85 glh-t. It sat for 5+ years before I got it last year. The inside of the tank looked like it had been on the bottom of the ocean, so it was trashed. I just installed a good gas tank with a glhs sending unit with a walbro 255 I got from Cliff R. I am not for sure if the stock fuel lines are rusty or not so I want to put the filter under the hood before the fuel rail. There is room to mount it on the shock tower on the passenger side. Is this a safe place to put it? I want to run it there for a while but is it a good idea to leave it there long term?

135sohc
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I dont see why not ?

a metal can filter (no clear plastic crap) thats firmly attached and not leaking shouldnt be a problem.

89ShelbyGuy
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
The only reason i would think they put it back there is to limit contaminated fuel going threw your lines and rusting them out faster? and if you put it in front it will go threw the system more? don't know..just geussing....

turbovanmanČ
04-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I had to do that with a customers Grand Am, cleaned it all out but the lines must have had a bad section, so I put a fuel filter up by the fuel injectors and change the filter once a year, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
04-16-2009, 08:58 PM
plenty of cars have fuel filters up there. go ahead. :)

Brian

Twisted Noodle
04-17-2009, 07:59 PM
The only reason i would think they put it back there is to limit contaminated fuel going threw your lines and rusting them out faster? and if you put it in front it will go threw the system more? don't know..just geussing....

Same idea as putting the fuse to a stereo system close to the battery. Just in case something happens, more of the "system" is covered.

GLHNSLHT2
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
just be careful for leaks, if you get one that's gonna be a lot of fuel right by the hot turbo.

iTurbo
04-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I have an inline fuel filter under the hood of my Spirit R/T. Been there for years and never a problem. It's a Russel filter, very compact with 6AN in/out. Very easy to service there.