PDA

View Full Version : BAAAAD knock (not rod - tranny?!) HELP FAST!

Dave
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Okay since yesterday I installed a new inspection plate and turned the boost up to 18psi wiht 54psi base fuel pressure. I'm plenty on fuel.

But we had a knock, since doing so. Diagnosed it, it turned out to be the upper inspection plate rubbing against the torque converter bolts (they were all shiny). Okay move the upper plate back and cut it. Noise went away.

Today: Drove it around for a bit noise seldomly came and went at idle. Pretty soon the noise got LOUD! Only at idle though. I give it gas and the noise quieted (didn't go away, just got quieter).

So I jack it up, call everyone I can to get help. Rob says it sounds like bolts rubbing on something. Okay what I thought too. Paint the TC bolts black and start it up. 2 out of 4 bolts had paint missing on the sides. Took the bottom inspection plate out and the noise got much, much louder.

WTF is going on here??? I started it and listened around. The noise is definately coming from the bellhousing. I listened to the oil pan as much as possible and there is no noise whatesoever. Whew! Glad it's not a rod bolt or bearings.

Please help me as soon as possible, I'm desperate. :(

Turbodave
04-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Sure it's not the upper plate still? maybe the backside by the starter?

Dave
04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Well right now I'm thinking it's the starter. Two 15mm bolts that are on the bellhousing that go to the starter are missing...

What the hell is wrong here? Since I ran it on slicks I've been dumping bolts out of the tranny left and right. I found the one closest to the head (15mm) on the bellhousing loose and just hanging there, and now 2 out of the starter. WTF?

Well I also spun a power steering belt off, so it's time to get it running.

Turbodave
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
A loose starter could do that...

Need to start eating some wheaties, gotta get those bolts tighter than what a 7 year old asian girl can do.

Force Fed Mopar
04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
You sure the torque converter bolts are tight? Maybe they are slowly backing out. Or, your flywheel could be broken or coming loose.

DUGZSHELBY
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
+1 on loose torque converter bolts!

Dave
04-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Checked the bolts they were tight.

Turns out the 18mm bolt up top on the bell housing and the 15mm bolt below it (both that HOLD the starter in) were not to be seen. Wow. I guess the started didn't like riding on 1 stud. It now is acting up. Time for a replacement tomorrow!

So it works great now. Noise is barely audible at idle, but that's the only thing.

Also put new power steering and alternator belts on. :eyebrows: That was a fun first time thing to do alone.

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2006, 12:31 AM
When you call, leave me your number, :thumb:

Dude, time to break out the loctite and eat your wheaties. I like the asian girl analogy, :nod:

Dave
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
When you call, leave me your number, :thumb:

Dude, time to break out the loctite and eat your wheaties. I like the asian girl analogy, :nod:

I do believe you're the only one here with "asian girl" experience. You tell us Simon... how strong is she? ;)

Dave
04-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Anywho, could me have running slicks with only one side polly mount be the problem as to breaking the bolts loose? The motor rocks back, slicks cause everything to slam together, breaks the bolts "crack point," and then during normal driving the vibrations continue to loosen them? Eh?

BadAssPerformance
04-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Insufficient torque and vibration are the two main contributors to loosening, so slicks shouldn't loosen anything unless you had tons of tire shake and they were under-torqued.

Frank
04-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Also it could be your flexplate to crank bolts being loose. They wont back out all the way, but that can cause noises also at idle. I know this because Aries_Turbo currently has this problem.

Frank

Aries_Turbo
04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
^^^^ yeah I have that problem lol. I think I forgot to put new loctite on when I put the 604/V6 in... oh well. if frank gets off his duff I'll have a 543 soon ;) lol

Yes I know you found the problem... Just wanted to comment

Brian