PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my POS-4

slasky
04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
It's broke again. I noticed some oil drips in my driveway so I just assumed it was my srt4. I put it up on the lift and noticed the IC hose to the throttle body was covered in oil as well as the computer any everything else in the area. I pulled the IC hose but only a couple of drips came out. I went to open the air box but the retard that designed it use some clips made in china that just break and spin. So I pulled the whole air box. I noticed an open port on the plastic part of the IC hose that goes to the TB. I found a loose red hose and from what I can see it is the TIP. Now I am not sure if I knocked it off when I was wrestling with the air box or if it blew off and that is where the oil was spraying from. Now if it blew off and I have been driving around for weeks, wouldn't it throw up a check engine light and if not, is it possible that it is the source of my oil leak?

bradp
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Good God Scott..that car hates you.

contraption22
04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Common issue. Thats why so many people install oil catch cans. The PCV system is pretty poorly designed and alot of oil gets pulled into the intake manifold from the valve cover. Over time it oozes down and collects in the intercooler and cold side hose to the throttle body.

The solution is to install a catch can (and while you're at it, a check valve) between the intake manifold and the PCV valve.

This will keep the oil out of your intake manifold.

The check valve keeps air from blowing backwards into the valvecover when under boost. The PCV valve does not seal very well.

slasky
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Would the hose popping of the TIP not throw a code? It was the red one that goes to the solenoid.

SebringLX
04-14-2009, 01:27 PM
Would the hose popping of the TIP not throw a code? It was the red one that goes to the solenoid.

Should throw an 1188, 1190, or 1105, can't remember which exactly, but I know those 3 are TIP codes. I have all 3 of those codes turned off on my car, never had a TIP, and don't really want to try and wire one in.

slasky
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Should throw an 1188, 1190, or 1105, can't remember which exactly, but I know those 3 are TIP codes. I have all 3 of those codes turned off on my car, never had a TIP, and don't really want to try and wire one in.

The wiring was still connected; just the vacuum hose popped off.

mario03SRT
04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
The TIP line does not have to be on there is you have an other than stock ECU. STG1, 2 or 3.

I used it as a boost only source for my Reg/Returnline.

Marion

slasky
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
The TIP line does not have to be on there is you have an other than stock ECU. STG1, 2 or 3.

I used it as a boost only source for my Reg/Returnline.

Marion

I have a stock ECU. The red hose that goes to the hard plastic part of the boost hose, just before the throttle body, was popped off. It goes to the TIP solenoid. If it was off on a stock ECU would it throw a code?

Is the TIP sensor right in that hard plastic part and what does the solenoid do?

contraption22
04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I could be wrong but I think the TIP solenoid is similar in function to the baro read solenoid tied into the MAP on our old stuff.

I'd bet money that you accidentally popped it off like you had suggested.

slasky
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I could be wrong but I think the TIP solenoid is similar in function to the baro read solenoid tied into the MAP on our old stuff.

So if the line was off from the boost hose would it cause it to see atmosphere all the time?

slasky
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM

The oil was sprayed everywhere even all over the ECU. So it looks like it was being sprayed out as opposed to just leaking. The nipple on the boost hose seems like it is in the right spot to have caused the oil spay pattern.

contraption22
04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
The oil was sprayed everywhere even all over the ECU. So it looks like it was being sprayed out as opposed to just leaking. The nipple on the boost hose seems like it is in the right spot to have caused the oil spay pattern.

hmm.... nevermind then! Looks like it's been off for a little while.

contraption22
04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
So if the line was off from the boost hose would it cause it to see atmosphere all the time?

I think so, but again, I do not know for sure.

SebringLX
04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
TIP works with the MAP for baro readings used in boost control only. It's not required, but should throw a code if it's not hooked up and you're on a stock PCM. There's a TIP/MAP mismatch code (for TIP and MAP not reading the same pressure), and an overboost code that can both be thrown by the TIP but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head, I really want to say P1188 is one of them.

There should be a hose that goes between your intake and valve cover, this is where the oil usually comes from. I'm not sure exactly where that hose for your TIP sensor routes, but oil that has collected anywhere could very easily blow out of it as you are describing. Not to mention it would be a boost leak and possibly a vacuum leak as well.

CSX321
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
There should be a hose that goes between your intake and valve cover, this is where the oil usually comes from.
That's the one that seems most likely to be the source of the problem. If it came off at the air box side, I could see it getting oil all over those things.