PDA

View Full Version : When Falkens don't stick.. now what

powermaxx
04-17-2006, 01:20 PM
While spinning the tires at speed is fun I need traction! BFG drag radials will work but I'd like more tread life than those.

BFG's last me only one season at the track, not sure how well they'd do on a "Real Street". Maybe if I limit my burnouts to every other stop light instead of all of them!:thumb:

iTurbo
04-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Are you using staged boost control? That is what I'm doing to get around the problem in my Omni and Lancer. I'm going to adapt a WOT micro switch so full boost only comes on in the higher gears.

Whorse
04-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I have falkens on my car and I've noticed they don't grip well now that they're worn down a bit.

mark
04-17-2006, 02:17 PM
want traction?... buy a vtec

TurbododgePirate
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I have some nice autocross tires forsale....... Kumho V700's 205/50-15 ~~H

powermaxx
04-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Are you using staged boost control? That is what I'm doing to get around the problem in my Omni and Lancer. I'm going to adapt a WOT micro switch so full boost only comes on in the higher gears.

Low is 15psi and High is 27psi

Spins'em on the 15psi setting (part throttle) :thumb: Annihilates them on the high setting :evil:

Been thinking of adding a vac line off the manifold to the WG and a switch for an extra low 7psi setting for the street. Track is no problem.

afsautoworx
04-17-2006, 08:30 PM
what type of falken are u running? the azenis or the 512's??

powermaxx
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
what type of falken are u running? the azenis or the 512's??

Azenis

Wink
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Spins'em on the 15psi setting (part throttle) :thumb: Annihilates them on the high setting :evil:

Been thinking of adding a vac line off the manifold to the WG and a switch for an extra low 7psi setting for the street. Track is no problem.

If it's a manual transmission, you can try to add another 3 port solenoid and a micro-switch on the gear selector. I'm planning on putting a micro-switch on my transmission's gear selector with a bracket, so that when ever I'm in 1st gear, I will only see 7-8 psi of boost. Then, in the other gears, I'll have the 2 stage boost control.

You could try something like this as well, if you wanted.

Wink

Frank
04-21-2006, 11:27 AM

If you want to try something, I have had this idea in the my mind for a while now. What you need is something that acts like a capacitor. Try taking a large sealed can (like a smaller coffee can, but without the coffee), and put a vacuum port on it. Then connect it using a T on the vacuum line that goes to the wastegate solenoid/can.

What this does, in theory, is slow the wastegate movement and in turn slows your boost ramp up. Its cheap and worth trying.... you may have to try different size cans.

Frank