PDA

View Full Version : LS1 T/A bows down to Omni

iTurbo
04-17-2006, 01:19 PM
I decided to take the Omni out for a spin last night. I haven't driven the car much lately because I have a nice new stereo in my Lancer. The weather has been great and everybody has their nice cars out so I decide to put a few laps on the car and maybe get a race.

After about an hour, I decide to call it a night because there is nothing out worth racing. I spot my brother going by in his turbo Cutlass so I catch up to him at a gas station. We BS for a few minutes and decided to go race the Omni and Cutlass before going home. Just before leaving the parking lot, an LS1 T/A pulls into the parking lot and parks. We didn't think much of it since we were just leaving. Just as I am about to pull out of the parking lot, the T/A starts hauling up behind me. I turned onto the highway and I can see the T/A's --- end swinging out in my rear view mirror to catch up to the Omni. The T/A had almost got to my door and I floored it in 2nd gear. He stayed with me momentarily and then I started leaving him fast. We took it from 20 MPH up to ~75 and I had about two car lengths on him. I had to get in his lane to pass a truck and the T/A gives up.

We are now cruising through town at about 30 MPH, and the T/A will NOT pass me. After a few blocks, the T/A decides to pass me since I'm going rather slowly with a truck in front of me. We get past the truck and I start to catch back up to the T/A. I brake torqued slightly as to relieve the BOV a bit as I pass him. This got him going and he immediately romps on it. I was still in 2nd and I floor it as well. Same thing happens; the T/A hangs with me momentarily and then I start putting the hurt on him in a bad way. I took it up to the top of 3rd gear and the LS1 was way back in my rear view mirror. He must have given in rather quickly this time and shut it down.

I pulled into another parking lot hoping the T/A would pull over so I could quiz him about his car, but he kept going. Then I notice steam billowing out from under the hood of my Omni. Turns out the upper radiator hose blew and had a 3" split in it. I limped it home and parked it for the night. Hope it's OK.

89ShelbyGuy
04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Just tell me...how much boost were you running?

Tom

BoostMonkey
04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Nice Kill Man!!

Michael

iTurbo
04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
17 psi.

Ground Rat
04-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Nice, what does your car trap?

turbocoupe
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Nice kill man are you running 2.2 or 2.5 common

iTurbo
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Don't know what it traps now; the closest track is over 100 miles away. It's an '89 2.5L (common block). Big NPR cooler, 3" exhaust, TII turbo, +20s, MAP clamp etc..

Dynoed 198 WHP/270 WTQ a couple years ago with 14 psi. Boost is now 17 psi and a few more tweaks hear and there.

TrrboJeep
04-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I start putting the hurt on him in a bad way. I took it up to the top of 3rd gear and the LS1 was way back in my rear view mirror... Then I notice steam billowing out from under the hood of my Omni. Turns out the upper radiator hose blew and had a 3" split in it. I limped it home and parked it for the night.
Why is it when something good happens, the bad isn't far behind? lol
Good story though. At least it didn't happen in front of a crowd. :amen: (the radiator hose that is)