PDA

View Full Version : Code 54? What's NOT happening???

Terry Again
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
I took the car for a 40 mile trip and after 20 miles I stopped and shut of the motor for about 10-20 minutes started it back up and noticed the lost power light was on!! All the gauges read OK so I kept driving home and when I got there parked and did a code check and got 54. I looked it up and don't understand what no fuel snyc is.How does it effect the running of the motor? I traced the wiring from my Haynes book and wires go from Dist. to LM? My car is stock eccept for the MP LM I put in 5 days ago and this is the first time I've seen this light except for checking codes!!
Should I not start the car until it's fixed? What do I have to fix? I hope it's not the LM because it really woke up how the car gets down the road!!!!
:thumb: Thanks for any help on this matter,
Terry:)

Turbodave
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
It's probably a sign that the hall effect plate (HEP) in the distributor is starting to fail. Replace it with a factory one since most of the aftermarket ones are very unreliable.

Terry Again
04-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info!! I forgot to add in my post that the car is a 85 Lebaron GTS if that makes a difference??? I went to FWDP and TU and the HEP they have listed are for 86 and newer? maybe I'm wrong? I am brain damaged,what's your excuse!!:D I will joke about it,but I am!!
Thanks Man,

Terry

Turbodave
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
85 does have a different distributor and HEP than the 86-92 cars, so the info listed on their sites is correct. It is also possible that the wiring going to the HEP is damaged, not as common as the HEP itself failing, but I have seen it before, might be something to look at before ordering a part.