PDA

View Full Version : Oil out of fill cap!!

Lee'sdaytona
04-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey, I have another post on this, but there aren't many hits in the Maintenance section.
87 2.2 TI converted to TII, 2 year old head.

I am getting oil coming out of the airbox and filler cap under boost only. I swapped in a used (assumed in working cond.) PCV valve with no fix. I would hope the valve seats aren't bad in a 2 year old head. Would a jumped tooth on the cam do this? it seems to run ok....How can I diagnosis this problem?
thanks,
Lee

Bubba
04-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Excessive blowby will cause oil to blow out from everything under boost.

mark
04-17-2006, 12:15 PM
what do you get for vacum at idle?

what kinda compression? check with oil in the cyl after normal press check.

Lee'sdaytona
04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
well my stock vac gauge says 15, I have a Mopar Performance (made by autometer, 2.5") boost gauge from 1997, and I think its getting old and not accurate....that says anywhere from 11 to 12 to 15 at best, but it also sits to the right of the 0 box.
I don't have a compression testor, so either I'm gonna buy one or try to borrow one....when you say blowby, doesn't that usually cause the dipstick to pop out? I just rebuilt the bottom end last year with new rings and rod bearings....
-Lee

mark
04-17-2006, 01:18 PM
i would say do a compression test... that will tell you a lot, and squirt oil in that will tell you if the rings are leaking.

Lee'sdaytona
04-17-2006, 02:25 PM
well I went out and bought a Compression tester....heres the bad news:
cyls:
(1) 130 (2) 100 (3) 150 (4) 135

and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to buy a quart of oil when I was at the parts store....damnit....(I'm up at college now)....so if the compression goes up with oil, then the ring is bad correct?
-Lee

mark
04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
so if the compression goes up with oil, then the ring is bad correct?
-Lee

more than likely yes.

Lee'sdaytona
04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Alright so is cyl #2 the only one I should be worried about? I know 130, and 135 are normal numbers but if cyl number 3 is 150 does that make the other three lower than they should be?
btw, I put new rings in last summer, but i didn't hone the cylinders. I was told by a few ppl that they have been ok without doing that. I beat on the engine when I got it running to break it in and get the rings sealed....so I guess they all seated, otherwise I would've had this oil leak problem from day one right?
thanks again,
Lee