PDA

View Full Version : 1991 turbo spirit SBEC into 1991 mini?

TomInOregon
04-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Could I swap a SBEC from a 1991 turbo Spirit/Acclaim/Daytona/Shadow etc. into a 1991 van without having to change pins on the wiring harness as part of a turbo 2nd gen van swap? I'm trying to find the most plug-and-play solution possible for turboing a 2nd gen. Assuming I have all of the parts from a 1991 2.5 T1/5 speed donor vehicle and a 1991 Caravan/Voyager/T&C (most likely V6/Auto) plus shifter and pedals, what is left that would need to be fabricated/altered to make the van work? I'm trying to avoid swapping out wiring harnesses.

turbovanmanČ
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
91 SBEC will be ok as long as not R/T.

As for wiring changes, its not quite that simple, the engine wiring on a 2nd gen is also connected to the body computer and runs the interior stuff, so you need to splice the two harness together to make it all work, from reading and what others have posted, its not easy to do.

Vigo
04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
yes unfortunately there is really no way to avoid doing major underhood wiring work. However i think the sbec you're talking about will work fine once you have the harness figured out.

TomInOregon
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I was hoping they would interchange since they are both 1991s and SBEC 1. What are the differences on the body side? Are the gauges different? The only thing I could think would be different is the auto-door locking feature on vans (I'm not sure if the Spirit/Acclaim had this feature). Is there a comprehensive website that shows all the pinouts for each module and somewhere else other than factory manuals that shows the body connector pinouts? I've found a few sites here and there, but mostly they're for converting a 1992+ SBEC2 van to use an additional SMEC for the turbo conversion. If someone can point me to the pinouts I can research it myself instead of asking here. I know similar questions have been answered a thousand times.

WickedShelby88
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Yes, your main obstacle will be finding out what interior functions and communication happens between the SBEC and BCM. I'm not sure if the BCM controls the cluster in 91'. Being pre SBEC 2 you might luck out and be able to get away with this, but still you will need to mod your harness to make the 91 spirit turbo items splice. IF you can get factory manual style pin outs you will be okay. Mitchell on demand works pretty well as that is what we used when I was in the automotive field although I'm not sure what that would cost you. Also alldata. For no longer than your going to use it maybe you could get a deal with a trial subscription and then cancel unless someone here has the factory manuals to both and can be of assistance. I wanted to turbo a newer 94-95 style van until I found out all the work involved. Good luck, but you are in the right place to be asking said questions.

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I was hoping they would interchange since they are both 1991s and SBEC 1. What are the differences on the body side? Are the gauges different? The only thing I could think would be different is the auto-door locking feature on vans (I'm not sure if the Spirit/Acclaim had this feature). Is there a comprehensive website that shows all the pinouts for each module and somewhere else other than factory manuals that shows the body connector pinouts? I've found a few sites here and there, but mostly they're for converting a 1992+ SBEC2 van to use an additional SMEC for the turbo conversion. If someone can point me to the pinouts I can research it myself instead of asking here. I know similar questions have been answered a thousand times.

They maybe SBEC but that's where it ends. I am 90% sure but it talks with the Body computer which controls the instrument cluster, radio, HVAC, lights etc.

It can be done, but its complicated. There is a harness for sale in the for sale section, so that might be an easier route.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36289&highlight=harness

WickedShelby88
04-15-2009, 10:25 AM
HVAC? My 94 mini has manual HVAC controls, unless electronic should be no different. Radio is the same stand alone. The lights are merely relay and there is a delay relay on domes.. Basically just relays not an actual BCM like a later model GM. Could be wrong to some extent on the lights, but my Turn signals make the same loud obnoxious clicker sound all the TM's do. I think it is easier than some think for even the 91 because what we usually call the BCM is not much more than a bunch of relays and a board with solder joints that go bad and cause annoying issues. The cars have more complex problems in the tona/baron variety. Just my experience.
Conversion harness sounds like a much easier/more reliable option.

turbovanmanČ
04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Big P did his and lost is radio and cluster. If an electric or auto temp HVAC I can see it having fits, :o

WickedShelby88
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
He must of have an infinity radio then which is just a matter of the relay. I can't see one losing the radio unless the BCM gives the radio the ignition on power side. There are ways around that. Same with the cluster. But I like the idea better of the piggyback SBEC/SMEC because you can run the turbo gear and retain all functions w/o messing with the arduous task of the interior wiring.

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2009, 01:16 PM
He must of have an infinity radio then which is just a matter of the relay. I can't see one losing the radio unless the BCM gives the radio the ignition on power side. There are ways around that. Same with the cluster. But I like the idea better of the piggyback SBEC/SMEC because you can run the turbo gear and retain all functions w/o messing with the arduous task of the interior wiring.

Ditto, smart way of doing it, but time consuming, PHEW, lol!

Big_P
04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Big P did his and lost is radio and cluster. If an electric or auto temp HVAC I can see it having fits, :o

Indeed I did.

Big_P
04-16-2009, 05:39 PM

I considered doing that, but I was 17 at the time and had no job, was busy finishing up high school.

You will need to have a custom harness made. I had someone make it. I forget his name but I can probably come up with it if you need me to.

You can't just put the Spirit harness in there, the bulkhead connector that, along with talking to the body computer, does the lights/turn signals/power up the fuel pump/etc. The pins in the bulkhead connector will be in a different order and you will have to re-arrange them. As said, you will lose most of your cluster (fuel level, battery, and oil pressure still worked) but you could find a 1st gen Caravan cluster (or any other TD cluster for that matter, as long as it's analog) and hook them up directly to the sensors to have a full working cluster.

Big_P
04-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm going through this issue all over as I'm trying to figure out if a 91+ Van harness will work in my 89 LeBaron GTS because I'm putting a 3.8 in it. I don't know if the BCM will screw things up; it probably will.

Aries_Turbo
04-16-2009, 11:09 PM
pete, i know a 90 3.0L caravan harness works in a 88 k car. you have to move two pins for the windshield wiper motor control and thats it and it plugs right on the body. the interior dome light doesnt work then though but i may have just missed a wire somewhere. that can be externally wired.

does the 89 have a enginebay bulkhead connector or an underdash? i know 89 J lebaron has the underdash.

brian

Big_P
04-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Crap. I hope it has the bulkhead, to be honest I never looked. I'll check tomorrow.

Big_P
04-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Nope, it's got the connector under the dash. Still shouldn't be much of an issue.

Sorry to hijack.

iTurbo
04-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I have a '91 TI SBEC running in my Shelby Lancer. Wasn't too bad to swap in. I used a harness from a '91 Lebaron GTC. All I had to do was cut off the female 50-pin bulkhead connector and replace it with the male version. The pinout between the SL and GTC sides were nearly identical. No fooling around with the underhood harness or BCM or anything; pretty straightforward swap if you ask me. Even the outside temp sensor still works as it used to and fog lights and all that. Runs great!

WickedShelby88
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
This may be of some help. Not as much because you would be best off with the BCM and harness from a 91/92 5 speed mini.