PDA

View Full Version : Reverse 'Y' handle - tell me what you think

Maddog
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Would something like this work for you guys (prototype is functional)?
The only issue I can see would be the boot slipping over the shaft ring and the 'Y' (see closeup). The prototype shown has a plain steel finish - finished products would be painted black or silver, and the 2 fasteners (10-32 SHCS and lock nut) would be different
*FYI, top of the rod has been shortened 1.25", and the bottom of the rod has not been modified yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MaddogChuck/Short%20Throw%20Shifters/reverselever1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/MaddogChuck/Short%20Throw%20Shifters/reverselever2.jpg

Comments, slams, ideas, suggestions?

BadAssPerformance
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Dont need too much to grab onto to pull that lock out up, the stock ring is sort of incognito.. maybe shorter handlebars instead of those ape hangers? ;)

Turbodave
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Looks like a 16th century torture device, or something you would use to castrate sheep.

But I'm sure it's functional, which is all many of us are after.

Maddog
04-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Jason, Dave, thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it, it does resemble handle bars. The wife even said it looked like a pogo stick for squirrels :confused: I didn't think it looked that ba-a-a-a-aad! lol

I will be going a different route with this - already designed something else since posting this last night. It will be more along the lines of an actual 'T', as opposed to the 'Y'. The reason for the 'Y' was that the 2 pieces were readily available for a good price (read: free).

Gimme a couple of days to a week, and I'll have another one up :nod:

89ShelbyGuy
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Madddog....i've always had this idea and i will share it will you.

Why not incorporate a 12v solnoid thats hooked to a button in the middle of the shifter, like an automatic.

When the button is push it activated the pin UP, then put it in gear and release it will return to its down position, then when you put it in regular gears it will snap down.

Its just a thought i had. It would be kinda neat...i've never had a spare assembly to try this on or else i would have already.

Maddog
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Madddog....i've always had this idea and i will share it will you.

Why not incorporate a 12v solnoid thats hooked to a button in the middle of the shifter, like an automatic.

When the button is push it activated the pin UP, then put it in gear and release it will return to its down position, then when you put it in regular gears it will snap down.

Its just a thought i had. It would be kinda neat...i've never had a spare assembly to try this on or else i would have already.

That is a good idea, except the execution could be a bit more labor and expense than the results would be worth.