PDA

View Full Version : Falken Azenis

Spraynlog
04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I've got a chance to buy some used Azenis. I'd use them for drags. If they are worn to 50% or so will it affect straight line traction? I'm just trying to cut 60' times from what I get with street rubber.

Directconnection
04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I bought 2 sets of 205-50-15s about 6 years ago. *I* liked them and noticed they got better straight line traction vs. the Cooper Cobras or Goodyears I had on there previously at the same 205-50-15. I didn't have any 60ft #s to compare to, though, as I never raced it at the track in it's final heyday (and bestest state/tune)

We put some on my friend's car, but he sold it to another good friend who finally got the car running and told me he hated them. I think it was because the wheels were exposed to the elements while the car sat outside for 3 years.

I remember when these tires first came out.... someone was cutting 1.9x 60 foots with them, and that sold me. (I have a brand new set of 205-55-16s sitting in my cellar)

One weird thing about these tires... they grip REAL good on wet roads... but of course, get any standing water and look out.

Juggy
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
they must be good tires because a friend of mine is going from a 215 wide tire on a 7" rim to a 235 on a 8"

he wanted more traction and kept with the same rim and tire....lol...just wider....im trying to pick up his 17 x 7 with the 215/45 tires.......mmmmmmmmmm....

BadAssPerformance
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I've got a chance to buy some used Azenis. I'd use them for drags. If they are worn to 50% or so will it affect straight line traction? I'm just trying to cut 60' times from what I get with street rubber.

Depends on what you are looking for, Azenis *are* "street" rubber. AutoX tires have stiff sidewalls so they dont hook like drag radials... but they are pretty decent for what they are. Key point in buying "used" tires is how old they are.

Ondonti
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Josh liked those tires in his 14.2 3.0 duster. He was cutting 2.0 60's when they were fresh. I think when the tire gets older they stop being as sticky so he dropped down to 2.1's.

93sundance
04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Josh liked those tires in his 14.2 3.0 duster. He was cutting 2.0 60's when they were fresh. I think when the tire gets older they stop being as sticky so he dropped down to 2.1's.

I had the falken ziex 512's. I was cuttin 2.0 60fts the whole tire life. my best 60ft was 2.030 when they were bald. I was cuttin mostly 2.1s with yokohamas after I gutted the car. It was doing real bad one wheel peels.

Ondonti
04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I looked outside and the tires on my Duster's stock wheels (which I dont really use cause they are tiny) are the Ziex 512's
They are only 195/55r15 (23.0") and are 7 years old and down to the wear indicators. cracking in the sidewalls.

They still hook up pretty darn well in warm weather even with being old and tiny. I have replacement tires in the attic for them but I haven't installed them yet. I usually have two tires from my Daily driver on the front of my duster (25.6" diameter). In freezing temps they suck.

So a decent size of these tires would work good even when old and crusty.

Which Azenis? Only the 615 is available in 15" according to their website. My 195/55r15 ziex are not listed either........

There is the Azenis RT 615 (street motorsports)
Only 205/50 listed in 15"
http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/2/wheel.png

Azenis ST115 (luxury performance)
No 15" listed

http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/6/wheel.png

Here is the ziex 512 (all season performance)
Craploads of 15" sizes. I might try the 225/60r15 when i destroy my new kumho's for the duster.

http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/5/wheel.png

Polygon
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I have the Azeni RT215 on the LeBaron and the RT615 on the Stealth. I love them. They have awesome grip for the money. I've never had my cars to the strip to test them out in that aspect, but they handle very well in the turns.

contraption22
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't expect great 60's with them, but they might be better than cheapy all seasons. The sidewalls are way to stiff for any kind of serious launch.

csxtra
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I used to have BFG Drag Radials on the CSX for street duty (never ran them at the strip). On the "all-of-it" boost setting, the BFG DRs would start to hook 1/2 way through 2nd gear, then slip a little in 3rd, but they wore out in about 3000 miles and I didn't like the steering slop and not being able to drive the car if there was even a hint of rain.

So I put the new Azenis 615s on the car last year, and they start to hook at the top of 2nd gear and slip a little more in 3rd, but WAY better than the old Dunlop 8000s I had on before. I'd say they are about 80-90% as sticky as the BFG DRs, and they are a great roadcourse tire (as long as you don't overheat them, then they get slippery). But take this advice with a grain of salt, because I never ran them at the strip either, where the harder sidewalls would probably be a disadvantage like Mike stated.

BTW, the Ziex 512s have been discontinued, replaced by the Ziex 912. I had the 512s on my intrepid, good performance but not the longest-wearing tire ever. I'll be trying the 912s next.

Overall, I'm really happy with my Falken tires.:D

Spraynlog
04-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I looked outside and the tires on my Duster's stock wheels (which I dont really use cause they are tiny) are the Ziex 512's
They are only 195/55r15 (23.0") and are 7 years old and down to the wear indicators. cracking in the sidewalls.

They still hook up pretty darn well in warm weather even with being old and tiny. I have replacement tires in the attic for them but I haven't installed them yet. I usually have two tires from my Daily driver on the front of my duster (25.6" diameter). In freezing temps they suck.

So a decent size of these tires would work good even when old and crusty.

Which Azenis? Only the 615 is available in 15" according to their website. My 195/55r15 ziex are not listed either........

There is the Azenis RT 615 (street motorsports)
Only 205/50 listed in 15"
http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/2/wheel.png

Azenis ST115 (luxury performance)
No 15" listed

http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/6/wheel.png

Here is the ziex 512 (all season performance)
Craploads of 15" sizes. I might try the 225/60r15 when i destroy my new kumho's for the duster.

http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/imgsize.php?h=156&img=../media/tires/5/wheel.png

They are the 615's. My tires now are BFG Traction T/A, 195/60/15. My best 60' is 2.15 so far. I'm pretty sure a 2.0 would get me into the 13's.:nod:

Mario
04-07-2009, 12:49 AM
If there isn't any of the following I WOULD buy them, pending price:

Cupping
Uneven wear
The slightest sight of ozone checking.

For the price new, I think they are great tire.

Vigo
04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
512s have been known to have a lot of stupid wear issues, and they are discontinued but since they were such a huge seller im sure a lot of places still have inventory.

ANY rt215s by now will suck just because of the age. They havent made them for longer than they'd last so any set by now would suck even if it was never driven.

615s can still be fresh enough to hook. Even those are at the end of the product cycle though. Early sets would be too old.

I think a set of 615s that wasnt heat cycled to death would hook better than any 'normal' non performance tire. Traction t/a's arent aggressive at all so im sure you'd see some improvement in overall grip.