PDA

View Full Version : couple of 1st gen neon questions

1966 dart wagon
04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I found a 98 neon 5 speed, red 2 dr, interior is suposably in good shape, i was wonder what are some common problems with these cars, common spots for rust that perhaps ruins the car(like ebrake cable locations on daytonas) also common engine problems, i found this car locally for 1k obo it needs a throw out bearing how hard is it to pull a trans, is it much different then pulling an a555? Ive done that a couple times now, and done a couple RWD mopars w/o any real problems. Also are the Modual clutches common, if so do they make the job harder? Im not sure of the motor, but any real problems with either? I'd probably offer the guy like 600 or so for it, Id just really liek to have something better then my old pos honda, and would hate to get something with alot of common problems. I would concider myself good with cars so unless its rebuilding an auto(which it isnt) i wouldnt see it as a problem

Thanks guys,
Jack

1966 dart wagon
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I asked this: What motor is in the car is it the SOHC or DOHC? Since the throwout bearing is out, does the car move at all under its own power or would it have to be towed away? Can you send me some more pictures of the car, motor or interior, and does it have any rust on it?

It has SOHC. If you put it in first gear and start it you would beable to dirive it but thats the only gear so you would have to towe it. There is only one rust spot on the driver side by the back tire.

Thoughts???

raccoon
04-05-2009, 01:18 PM
my thoughts are bank for a new clutch and tranny/

Dodge Aries K
04-05-2009, 01:56 PM
The transmission would probably be okay but the clutch assembly, throw out bearing, and possibly the throw out bearing actuator arm will need to be replaced. It also might be/need the clutch cable unit.

The rust he's talking about is probably on the rear wheel well arch... which happens because the tail lights leak water in and it settles in that area causing damage. I've fixed said damage a few times on a few beater Neons I fixed up.

Pulling the transmission is probably the same as a Daytona or whatever... I personally hate doing it but it's not all that awful to do. The axles on the Neon have clips though so they won't just pop out as easy as the ones on the K cars but it's manageable.

I'd say go for it and try to give it some life. But for $1000? That's kind of out of line. I bought my 2000 Neon from a dealer for $425 because it needed a clutch and some cosmetic damage fixed... not to mention various others with less problems for under $1000. If the guy will go down far enough to make it worthwhile (remember a new clutch for it will cost you over $250) then I'd do it.

1966 dart wagon
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
yep the rust was in the spot as you discribed, ya 1k sounds way steep for what the car needs, 500 even sounds high now to think about it, I can get alright prices on clutches since i work at a parts store:

8 1/2 od x 15/16S 17Teeth for $160
or
9 1/8 x 15x16s 17 teeth modeual kit with flywheel for $225

I assume this is something id have to pull appart before getting either clutch, I think i'll shoot the guy an offer of $500

Dodge Aries K
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, that's the other thing. Is the car a Belvidere or Mexico Neon? The first digit will start with either a 1 for Belvidere or 3 for Mexico. If it's Mexico, don't buy it. Mexico Neons are JUNK. If it's a Belvidere car it has a modular clutch that bolts to the flexplate like a torque converter.

WickedShelby88
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Didn't know it was common to find a neon that needs work for under 1k.. How often do these deals pop up?

Dodge Aries K
04-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Well... let's see... I've had... 8 Neons that cost under $1000, one that was $1100 and needed nothing (my 97 coupe) and one that was $1400 and needed barely anything (sunroof was broken and it needed a fender replaced because of rust), my 99 was $4200 over two years ago with only 70K on it and zero issues, and my SRT4 was very expensive LOL.

WickedShelby88
04-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Well I know your 99 wouldn't be an option in terms of condition and I need to get a pic, but I found a nice NYG neon coupe in Kirkland which is down the way off of 72 east of I39. Probably a 2500 dollar car easy though. Sounds like if I want a neon I should ask you!

Dodge Aries K
04-06-2009, 02:17 AM
I always seem to find them :p Let me know your budget and I'll find ya one.

What's the info about that NYG coupe? I sold my crappy one and want a decent one.

WickedShelby88
04-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Well as you drive through kirkland it is on the north side off a side street in someone's driveway in plain site. Just a coupe with 14" sport wheels. No info other than that. And it is towards the east end of town before you pass the last town street which crosses the tracks going north. Hope that helps. Will try to post pics sometime if I'm out that way again.

Dodge Aries K
04-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Oh, not for sale, just chilling in someone's driveway? Damn.

If you can send me an address or something I'll have to check it out.

ShadowFromHell
04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Im purchasing a 97 dohc/3.94 car this week for around 500 (parts trading) that is in limp mode and needs painted... so I think 1k is high. Fun little cars thou :). This will be my 3rd one Ive owned, and will hang on to it for a while. I went and looked at it yesterday... It was parked next to a NYG ACR!

WickedShelby88
04-06-2009, 11:23 AM
They seem to get great fuel mileage. Now how much is a fair price for a used trans for one if I find one that either needs one or is an auto and I want to swap in a 5 speed?

Tim
04-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I owned a '97 2 door sohc Neon for a few months with an automatic in it. It was a TURD, super slow, 17's in the 1/4 mile.

All my research for performance showed that a Neon motor can't take much nitrous or boost before breaking a piston or rod, and even when you spend a bunch of money building it up, torque still doesn't go up by much and you have to rev the hell out of it to get any more power.

Neons = FAIL.

Turbo Dodge = WIN.

Neons might be ok for a work beater, but don't waste your money trying to make one fast.

WickedShelby88
04-07-2009, 02:12 AM
That is why there is nothing better than a neon 2.0 head on a 2.5 long rod engine.. Mofo torque with healthy flowing head and high power band cams= bad mo fo! Slap 2.5 in neon with custom hood for super SRT4 killing enjoyment!

fleckster
04-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Well as you drive through kirkland it is on the north side off a side street in someone's driveway in plain site. Just a coupe with 15" sport wheels. No info other than that. And it is towards the east end of town before you pass the last town street which crosses the tracks going north. Hope that helps. Will try to post pics sometime if I'm out that way again.

1st Gen Neons never came with anything larger than 14" wheels.

Neons may not have been that quick but with a 5 speed they were comparable to most early Turbo I cars. They are easier to launch and the older cars (can cut 2.3 short times or better consistantly all day!) and you have to spend a bunch of money to get an L body or K based car to handle anywhere near the capability of a Neon. They are a ball to drive even if they aren't as killer as a boosted car. They can take a good amount of boost or spray but then unlike the 2.2/2.5, they were never designed for it. They have just as strong a block but they used more light weight rods. You can use 2.2 rods in them with a little work. A set of custom pistons and rods and you're good to go! Just ask all they guys running 2.0/2.4 swaps in their cars!

Dodge Aries K
04-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Neons might be ok for a work beater, but don't waste your money trying to make one fast.

Heh, I've seen and owned quite a lot of different cars that prove your wrong and I'd say my 97 coupe is a pretty quick car for being naturally aspirated and I don't have that much money into the car at all to get it to do such.

All my research for performance showed that a Neon motor can't take much nitrous or boost before breaking a piston or rod, and even when you spend a bunch of money building it up, torque still doesn't go up by much and you have to rev the hell out of it to get any more power.

My buddy's car should be running high 9's in the quarter mile this year... he's running over 25 PSI on a 2.0L engine in a 2004 Neon SE. He built the engine up to withstand that amount of course but he doesn't have to rev the hell out of it to make any power. The stock Neon engines don't mind taking 10 pounds of boost if you intercool them. This, once again, is based off of people I know and what they have done.

Neons = FAIL.

Turbo Dodge = WIN.

Maybe on a straight line drag race... but that's about it. Aftermarket support, handling, proven SCCA and other racing history, and about 15 years in technological advancement surely puts the Neon on a much higher scale than the K based cars of yesteryear. (no offense as I do love my Sundance :amen: )

WickedShelby88
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
1st Gen Neons never came with anything larger than 14" wheels.

Fixed it.:D

Now are there any aftermarket companies making some improved rear control arms for these? Personally I think the 2nd gens are ugly unless its an ACR or SRT4. So 1st gen R/T for the win in that aspect. And Karl I think you should go all out on your N/A and keep it non boosted. It will be much more interesting to see someone try to get maximum power w/o boost. With big injectors and 10:1 compression along with a healthy set of cams,ported head matched to high flow intake and exhaust you should be able to make 200+ hp easy.