PDA

View Full Version : Which head gasket? 3 to choose from.

boost geek
04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
87 T1 block, shaved 287 bathtub head, .020 copper head shim, ARP head studs. I have 3 gaskets to go with:
Felpro - some people hate em, I always had good luck with them at 15-17 psi.
MP P4452005 - blew one in 5 days at 17 psi. (dont know why), with head studs and a fresh head resurface.
MP P4452007 - "0" ring gasket, basically an "upside down" or flipped gasket compared to the 005 gasket. I bought this gasket years ago, never used it.
Which one is gonna hold to the copper shim better? I almost think the 007 has more fire ring metal on the block side, any one have any input?

tryingbe
04-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Never heard of 2007.

I'd just use 2005 with copper spray gasket.

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2006, 03:20 AM
You've seen the abuse I put my van thru Dick, never blown a 005 gasket yet, even melting one motor down, the gasket looked perfect. 005 is my pic but why are using a shim? using the G-head is lowering the compression already.

boost geek
04-16-2006, 10:50 AM
This head was repaired, one of the coolant holes was corroded, I wanted it just "touched" on the hole edge with a tig, but the welder went in a circle around the hole, and ended making a low spot in it.:banghead: Had to take it down 20 thou in order to get rid of the low spot. Would the compression be too high without the shim?

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2006, 12:20 PM
It would probably be a little higher, I don't know if I would worry about 20" though.

89acclaim
04-16-2006, 12:33 PM
What pistons are you using?

Daniel Merrill

boost geek
04-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Stock 87 T1 block and pistons for now, looking for T2 though. The cam timing would be out a little to though, or not?

89acclaim
04-16-2006, 02:01 PM
You shouldn't have too high of a cr. Cam timing will be a little different(depending on gasket total head mill and block height). Also as long as you don't have a carb shelby block or your pistons stick out of the block you should be good. You can use offset cam keys to feel around for what you like best.

Daniel Merrill

turbovanmanČ
04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Dick, an adjustable cam gear is the best money ever spent, I would never ever get another engine without one. :amen:

boost geek
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Do they make them for square tooth belt, or just the round?

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Do they make them for square tooth belt, or just the round?

They make them for both.

Keep searching the ads, I got mine for like $90 shipped. Its a Gary D unit, :nod:

SpoolinGLH
04-18-2006, 01:12 AM
not to hijack the thread... just a real quick question... is it recommended to use copper spray with the 005?

tryingbe
04-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Not on the head gasket, but on the copper shim.

turbo xtc
05-16-2006, 06:54 AM
i use the napa dana rienz this is the same company that made the original mopar head gasket which use to be victor rienz but dana is a company struggling the whole head set minus head bolts is only $68

GLHSKEN
05-16-2006, 08:14 AM
I use copper SPray on all hg's I install.

GLHS0658
05-16-2006, 12:13 PM
If you are worried about what was shaved off the head and using a shim, why not use a thicker Cometic gasket? These are excellent gaskets and come in different thickness. Just another option.

Mike

MiniMopar
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I've used the Felpro Head$aver copper shim and the MP 005 HG for 8 years in my CSX. Took tons of abuse, including LOUD pinging at 21psi of boost with no problems. I actually replaced it a couple of years ago thinking it was blown between cyls. Turned out it was the distributer shaft going out that was making it so erratic. The gasket looked perfect.

Don't get the Dana gasket unless they fixed their design. Yes, they made the original gasket...the one that would blow in 20k due to the fire ring squirting into the #1 cylinder by the coolant passage. My dad has a peg on the wall with about 15 of them from various cars. They all look the same. I avoid them like the plague.

boost geek
05-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys! This weekend my car is coming apart and getting the T2 conversion.:) For the last 2 weeks the car is pinging horribly, after 10 minutes on the freeway it will ping at any throttle, light or heavy. Usually full out you dont hear it too much. New 255 fuel pump, 94 octane, still pinging. Only wierd code ie 15, speed sensor - would it make you run super lean?
Anyways, intercooler time saturday, start friday night, sorry I'll miss you again Simon, next time I see you I'll be pitted beside you! I guess I'll go 005 with the copper shim, copper spray, 80 ft/lbs on the ARPs.

MiniMopar
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Make sure you only spray the block and put the shim on that. You want to install the HG dry.

boost geek
05-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Make sure you only spray the block and put the shim on that. You want to install the HG dry.
Hmmmm...... now I'm screwed up. Some say spray the shim, some say spray the gasket and shim, now just spray the block.:confused: I have to make up my mind by saturday.:banghead:

MiniMopar
05-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Well you can spray the shim or the block, it doesn't matter. Just make sure you only spray the bottom of the shim. There probably isn't any harm in spraying the surface that the MP gasket contacts, however the gasket was designed to install dry so I make it a point to do so.

rbryant
05-24-2006, 02:35 PM
What are the advantages of using the shim and a conventional head gasket over just using solid copper gasket?

It seems like the shim would be more likely to leak due to the extra layer of gaskets. I suppose copper might seal to the block better than to the head though making it a better solution.

With that in mind I just had a full copper gasket fail to seal on a rebuild. It was custom made so perhaps the copper wasn't soft enough...

If anyone can confirm I would appreciate it. My Pistons have a smaller than stock dish and my head and block got decked more than I expected during the rebuild. :(

-Rich

GLHS0658
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
What are the advantages of using the shim and a conventional head gasket over just using solid copper gasket?
-Rich

The shim/gasket combo is made to use for what you are asking.
The full copper gasket must be used with O-Ringing to seal the combustion chamber/cylinder during combustion.

Also you would think that with the extra layers the gasket/shim combo would leak but many have used it without fail.
Personally I would use a Cometic gasket. They can be had in extra thicknesses.

Mike

MiniMopar
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Without o-rings, you can't expect a copper HG to seal an aluminum head to a cast iron block. It simply can't deal with the different expansion rates. On a non-oringed block, you have to use a stock type of gasket, regardless of whether or not you are using a copper shim.

I think of it this way: copper headgaskets harken back to the days of cast iron heads on cast iron blocks. Thus, you want the shim against the block.

boost geek
05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I ended up spraying both sides of the copper shim, and used an MP 005 gasket and ARP studs torqued to 80 ft pds with molly. If this blows I'll try a Cometic.

MiniMopar
05-24-2006, 10:37 PM
If that blows, then something is wrong...you are probably detonating or something is not flat. I had pretty much the same thing, minus the extra spray for 6 years. It held 21psi of boost all day, even with occasional pinging.

boost geek
05-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Then I should be set to go!:thumb:

rbryant
05-25-2006, 01:58 AM
The shim/gasket combo is made to use for what you are asking.
The full copper gasket must be used with O-Ringing to seal the combustion chamber/cylinder during combustion.

Also you would think that with the extra layers the gasket/shim combo would leak but many have used it without fail.
Personally I would use a Cometic gasket. They can be had in extra thicknesses.

Mike

Understood. My block has orings.

Orings and the cometic aren't friends. I guess I can take them out and see if it seals but then I have grooves in my block deck...

-Rich