PDA

View Full Version : shifter linkage

psi2hi
04-15-2006, 11:24 PM
hey guys on my 86 sc when i took my motor out and now i dont have reverse im not sure how to adjust my linkage?.plus on the charger the rod that comes off the shifter that goes to the tranmission it moves ain't that suppose to be stiff or do u know any web sites or tips on how to get it working again.

Turbodave
04-16-2006, 07:51 AM
The rod should move when you move the shifter, that's normal.

There is an adjustment clamp on that rod just in front of the shifter. By loosening the clamp you can adjust the shift linkage. Pretty sure the service manuals all have pictures on how to do this.

Dave_J
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
If you get the shifter out of alignment too much it wont let you push down and over to reverse. Like T-Dave above said look in a service manual. It involves flipping the pin on the trans and a pin at the shifter too. DaveJ

psi2hi
04-16-2006, 08:28 PM
that sucks i dont have a service manual.but it well let me push down and go like im in reverse but it's in frist gear not reverse

Dave_J
04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Ok in a nut shell here goes. On the top of the trans is a pin that you must unscrew, flip it over and it will only go in IF the trans is in netual. Then you go under and undo the jam nut on the shifter rod. When the bottom of the shifter is aligned with the slot lock it down. Dont forget to flip the pin on the trans :o . This is from memory and I dont remember how much I paid for the TV but it dont get all 200 channels as the soup has too many carrots and its a very good beer, if you ask me :D . DaveJ