PDA

View Full Version : Keep the VNT, or upgrade?

DC Turismo
03-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Exploring options of not sticking to a VNT turbo on my CSX. Any suggestions of what could be run without any mods/computer/wiring work? Thanks!

SpiritedShelbys
04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
upgrade the VNT Billy.

WickedShelby88
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Upgrade! There is no substitute for a VNT!

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Upgrade! There is no substitute for a VNT!

How can you upgrade and then say that??????? :confused:

What are you goals????????

I drove my buddy's VNT and around town etc, its got instant boost. I guess if your going for more power, ditch it or put a larger VNT turbo on.

SpiritedShelbys
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
+1 larger VNT.

Chris W
04-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Mixing larger compressor wheels with smaller turbine shafts is dangerous.

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Mixing larger compressor wheels with smaller turbine shafts is dangerous.

Chris-TU

Dude, lay off the crack, where'd that come from?????? :p

contraption22
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I say dump the VNT, for simplicity's sake. If your OE VNT turbo is in good shape, put it in the museum and put a man's turbo on there:)

SpiritedShelbys
04-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I've had turbo failures with "stronger" stuff in the past and no bad experiences with my vnt. The potential of failure to me is like the lotto, just because you can win.. doesn't mean you will. That said, it's a gamble and ultimately your call. For my car the benefits outweigh the potential of failure. If it fails.. next turbo and try again. I'm not so sure a failure is inevitable if everything is done correctly and monitored but it is smaller.

SoCalCSX
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
TEC makes an upgraded VNT unit.......

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17824

Here's their site. I don't see it on there so you might want to contact them.

http://www.turboengineering.com/index.htm

WickedShelby88
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
How can you upgrade and then say that??????? :confused:

Lol, I meant upgrade the VNT. The only thing better than a VNT is an upgraded VNT. I think its more fun to drive a car that is quick on the street. I could run out of road real fast with a T2 to attain the same amount of fun and speed I did driving a VNT car. Although that is stock to stock. It might be a better idea however to keep the VNT turbo if its still working okay and lay it aside and get an upgraded turbo that way you don't have to worry about scattering the poor VNT.

90Dodgevnt
04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
I had a stock VNT, a upgraded VNT28, and a VNTS60. They were fun, but could I go back in time, would go the route of a T3/T4 since the cost is pretty close to the upgraded units...and did I mention the actual control of the VNT being a pain in the butt?

Never again.:p

SpiritedShelbys
04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm hoping Chris will chime in here and admittedly this is probably a dumb Q but I'm asking it anyway; what about having a new shaft made? 20 years is a long time for materials and science to improve and expand. Is this possible and/or what about a hybrid? Aren't there diesels running large vnt turbos these days? Certainly there must be options to keep the one thing which makes these cars unique from the others. Yep, probably costly but I bet possible. ?

Chris W
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm hoping Chris will chime in here and admittedly this is probably a dumb Q but I'm asking it anyway; what about having a new shaft made? 20 years is a long time for materials and science to improve and expand. Is this possible and/or what about a hybrid? Aren't there diesels running large vnt turbos these days? Certainly there must be options to keep the one thing which makes these cars unique from the others. Yep, probably costly but I bet possible. ?

The expense of designing and manufacturing a new turbine wheel and shaft to accomodate the few enthusiasts who are interested would not be cost effective. We would have to charge over $500. just for the manufacturing of turbine wheel and shaft and that's only if we get enough participants. The final price paid would rival the cost of a GT DBB turbo which exceeds the VNT in both performance and durability. We recently purchased our suppliers last new VNT turbos so pursuit of enhancing parts for this turbo may be a moot point.

My recommendation is place your VNTs on the shelf and run a conventional turbo. Most VNT turbo failures are catastrophic and repairs will become more expensive in the future with parts becoming scarce.

Chris-TU

JamesL
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Exploring options of not sticking to a VNT turbo on my CSX. Any suggestions of what could be run without any mods/computer/wiring work? Thanks!

I've been running an upgraded VNT for a few years now and I love it. Granted its not a huge change but mine has a t28 wheel. I had some boost control issues when I opened up the exhaust but that didn't surprise me. I have a dyno sheet around here somewhere showing the car made around 270whp but the boost was spiking to 22psi. I am using my own custom calibration. It really depends on your goals but I'd leave the VNT car as a VNT car and find something else if I really wanted to make power. You did state that you didn't want to make any mods.