PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust size question

Lee'sdaytona
04-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey everyone,
I had a new muffeler (magnaflow) put on my daytona a few years back and new pipe from the cat back. That new pipe rusted through completely today. So, the original place that did the work was closed today, went to Meineke to have a pipe fitted in. So, I look at the pipe he takes off and its smaller than 2.5" (car is an 87 daytona pacifica originally TI) SO the guy says its 1 7/8". So I asked if he would put in 2.5" as should be in place and he said it would never fit over the rear axle where the pipe currently runs over. I don't get it? Did this car not come stock with a 2.5 exhaust? His book said stock was 1 7/8" but I know people have fit 3" exhausts on daytonas...any info would be great
-Lee

Wink
04-15-2006, 09:36 PM
All of our cars had the 1 7/8" over axle pipe. However, if many are fitting 3" over axle pipes in thier cars, a 2.5" will definately fit, if properly bent. I had a custom 2.5" pipe installed on my 89 Daytona years ago. No rattling when it was bent right. If they guy won't do it, then take it somewhere that can/will.

For most of my FWD dodge's, the 2.5" downpipe went into the cat. Then after the cat, the pipes were 2.25", until it's before the rear axle. At that point, the pipe over the axle was 1 7/8" to the muffler. Then it exited the muffler with a 2.25" outlet.

Interesting how chrysler designed the exhaust, eh?

Wink

Lee'sdaytona
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
haha yeah that sort of defeats the purpose of the larger exhaust before and after the 1 7/8 pipe...Its the type of deal, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link...why not just go all 1 7/8?
-Lee

'93IROCr/t
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
There's a full 3" exhaust on my TIII Daytona all the way back. It does hang low. First time I saw it, I thought it was loose and falling off. I bought the car this way just a couple weeks ago. If you want, I'll try to get some pics for you. They'll be high res so it'll be easy to see detail. Must be a tight "fit" though to be hanging like that.

ssheen
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I had the same problem here. I went to 3 shops that all said the same thing. A 3" will not fit over. I suspect they really mean, "that will not fit over with the amount of work we want to put into it."

Myself I would find a shop that is a little more positive. Btw, 3" out flows a 2.5 by 44%, a 2.5 outflows 1 7/8 by 78%, 3" outflows 1 7/8 by 156%

MiniMopar
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
The 2.5" on my CSX fits quite easily. The muffer hanger just needs to be stiffer than your typical generic hanger on the 3" system so that it can't sway. The stock one was fine for the 2.5" pipes.