PDA

View Full Version : My noise...please read...

89ShelbyGuy
04-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey guys..well...i am getting scared...i have just replaced the engine with a 2.5, all built...has bout 10k on it...the head was gone threw by a machine shop...and i replaced the lifters with some pt ones..

The car idles great...run awesome..my oil pressure is perfect..10psi per 1k rpm......when i rev it, it sounds great....now...the part i am lery about.

When driving the car...if i go lets say, at or above 2500 rpm, my engine kinda knocks...i can't describe it over the internet, its kind of different then a knock.....for all i know it could be just normal....and also, it only sounds when i give it slight to full throttle...it doesn't do it when i am not accelrating...

Could it be the exhaust?..say if the exhaust donut was kinda tight agiast the turbo swingvalve...but it wasn't sealing? would it make that kinda of noise...?

Thanks.

Tom

turbovanmanČ
04-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Automatic or standard?

Does it sound like marbles? could be detonation, thats why you only hear it at WOT.

Lee'sdaytona
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
could be the normal head noise your hearing
-Lee

89ShelbyGuy
04-15-2006, 08:33 PM
i have a 5-speed.

A throwout bearing wouldn't make that noise. would it?

Tom

tryingbe
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
What gas are you using? What turbo? How much boost? Intercooler or not?

What computer? What car? What's the spec... you know the not-so important infomations that could help determine what is wrong...

89ShelbyGuy
04-16-2006, 12:12 AM
What gas are you using?
93 octane from BP
What turbo?
s-60 from TU with quickspool
How much boost?
13psi
Intercooler or not?
dualcore intercooler

What computer?
2.5 TI 5-speed
What car? 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby

What's the spec... you know the not-so important infomations that could help determine what is wrong...
The engine has been rebuilt 10k ago...it has 2.5 .030 over mahle pistons. with t2 rods that have been shot peened and arped. BS removed and pluged
Head was gone threw by a machine shop.....
I did have a horrbile knocking/clanking noise...so i replaced the lifter with some PT Lifters...which diffently quited the train down and the knocking to where its not even there when the oil is warm.

Need any more info.?
I think its valvetrain noise...i just need to get a guy thats been working on these car for a long time...*cough*turbodave*cough*..and take a listen.
It might be normal.

Thanks!

Tom

butchsuppe
04-16-2006, 02:03 AM
What gas are you using?
93 octane from BP
What turbo?
s-60 from TU with quickspool
How much boost?
13psi
Intercooler or not?
dualcore intercooler

What computer?
2.5 TI 5-speed
What car? 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby

What's the spec... you know the not-so important infomations that could help determine what is wrong...
The engine has been rebuilt 10k ago...it has 2.5 .030 over mahle pistons. with t2 rods that have been shot peened and arped. BS removed and pluged
Head was gone threw by a machine shop.....
I did have a horrbile knocking/clanking noise...so i replaced the lifter with some PT Lifters...which diffently quited the train down and the knocking to where its not even there when the oil is warm.

Need any more info.?
I think its valvetrain noise...i just need to get a guy thats been working on these car for a long time...*cough*turbodave*cough*..and take a listen.
It might be normal.

Thanks!

Tom
What injectors ? sounds like detonation, look at your plugs they need to have a brownest tint to them. if their real white your lean better add fuel than

Turbodave
04-16-2006, 07:54 AM
Need any more info.?
It might be normal.

Thanks!

Tom

You should see a doctor about that cough.....

Give me a call later in the week and I'll see if I can find time to take a ride down there.

89ShelbyGuy
04-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Its allright dave, i'll ride it up to you..she rides real nice....but recently i've had a problem after another....first..blew one intercooler pipe off...then later in the night, blew a different one...WTF..thenm this mourning my lower raditor hose that connects to the water pumping it leaking like crazy...

Yepee...least its a easy fix...i'll give you a call later! Thanks!

And i'll have to check my plugs tommorow....we'll see

Tom

Turbodave
04-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Sounds good, just give me a shout.

turbovanmanČ
04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Could be your head, especially as you said the PT's quietened it down. I went thru 2 heads to find a quiet one. The noisey ones, the lifters were a bit sloppy in the bore.

89ShelbyGuy
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Hey simon...what have you heard about the mexican heads? Thats the one i got....says MADE IN MEXICO right on the inside of the head..

Any pros and cons about these?

Tom

turbovanmanČ
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I think the Chinese heads are the ones to stay away from.