PDA

View Full Version : replacing one piston

1FastCSX289
03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Im building a budget 2.2, Donovan style.....cheap enough so that I dont care if it blows up. The only coin I want to lay out is for rings and gaskets. Everything else I want to put together from parts I have laying around. Ive got 3 sealed power T2 pistons.....one Mahle. Obviously not ideal.....but will this cause a problem?

Aries_Turbo
03-27-2009, 09:29 AM
just buy another sealed power to round out the set you cheap bastard! :)

actually didnt that silver bullet omni have like 3 different sized pistons in it?

Brian

2.216VTurbo
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Use the triple beam balence scale that you use to weigh out your uh, medications:D and compare the pistons. If they are pretty close, I wouldn't hesitate to run a mixed set. If that one piston is heavier, I would also be for grinding some material from a non critical area.

1FastCSX289
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Use the triple beam balence scale that you use to weigh out your uh, medications:D and compare the pistons. If they are pretty close, I wouldn't hesitate to run a mixed set. If that one piston is heavier, I would also be for grinding some material from a non critical area.

Thats what I was thinking.....as long as the weight is very close, shouldnt be any reason to not run em together.

1FastCSX289
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
just buy another sealed power to round out the set you cheap bastard! :)

actually didnt that silver bullet omni have like 3 different sized pistons in it?

Brian

Nah the omni was just a lightweight rod motor swapped in from the CSX.

YOU cant call ME a cheap bastard, either. Cheap bastard.

Aries_Turbo
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
not your omni, the Silver Bullet Omni Grassroots Motorsports car. it had all kinds of different sized pistons in it lol.

Brian

slasky
03-28-2009, 12:21 AM
I may have a sealed power piston but I think it is oversized. Are yours stock?

1FastCSX289
03-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I may have a sealed power piston but I think it is oversized. Are yours stock?

Yea....stock bore....im just hitting the cylinders with a hone.

mopar-tech
03-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Obviously not ideal.....but will this cause a problem?

Yes.

Chances are the cc will not be the same, along with the weight.

1FastCSX289
03-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes.

Chances are the cc will not be the same, along with the weight.

Crap...didnt think about the cc's. :mad: I guess im gonna have to break down and buy a sealed power piston. The kicker is that I traded someone on the forum three 2.5 pistons for three 2.2 pistons to go with the one good piston I have, assuming they were factory pistons......DOH!!! Would have been nice if he specified.

2.216VTurbo
03-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, and how did a cheaply built pieced together motor come to be known as Donovan style anyway:confused::D

butchsuppe
03-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Back in the day GM used to sell "Target Master Motors", these were engines that were factory rejects. These engines were patched up with what ever it took to make them run. Stuff like 1 oversized piston, or 1 undersized journal etc. If you don't care if it blows up go for it.

1FastCSX289
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Back in the day GM used to sell "Target Master Motors", these were engines that were factory rejects. These engines were patched up with what ever it took to make them run. Stuff like 1 oversized piston, or 1 undersized journal etc. If you don't care if it blows up go for it.

Its not that I dont care if it blows up.......I mean, id like to get some time out of it. But I wont cry when it blows like I do when my CSX motors craps.

1FastCSX289
03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, and how did a cheaply built pieced together motor come to be known as Donovan style anyway:confused::D

Well, he is one of the original turbo-chrysler gurus......and most of us are all cheap skate hotrodders.....soo....... He the guy that took stock engines out of boneyard cars, cranked up the boost, played with zener diodes and 25th injectors, etc. Probably more out need than out of cheap-ness, but im sure there was some of that or he would have been working on corvettes.

mark
03-29-2009, 05:38 PM
if this is for the charger, I found a box of T2 rods that GazerB gave me years ago... been in the box (used) ever since.

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
You are cheap, I had 3 factory Mahles for dirt cheap, ;)

I see 2 issues, weight and cc's, so either throw it together or buy mine, :evil:

mopar-tech
03-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, he is one of the original turbo-chrysler gurus......and most of us are all cheap skate hotrodders.....soo....... He the guy that took stock engines out of boneyard cars, cranked up the boost, played with zener diodes and 25th injectors, etc. Probably more out need than out of cheap-ness, but im sure there was some of that or he would have been working on corvettes.

<chuckle>

Gary Donovan

jeremyshelby
03-29-2009, 07:57 PM
ill bring my pistons on friday night and well work something out....if they work then we can figure out something.

1FastCSX289
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
if this is for the charger, I found a box of T2 rods that GazerB gave me years ago... been in the box (used) ever since.

Im good on rods.

You are cheap, I had 3 factory Mahles for dirt cheap, ;)

I see 2 issues, weight and cc's, so either throw it together or buy mine, :evil:

YES! I am cheap. Really, im cheap out of necessity. If I dont play cheap these days, I dont play at all. I may still hit you up for one if Jeremy's look good.....I may still need another.......or.....I might just buy one more sealed power piston if its CHEAPER :eyebrows:

<chuckle>

Gary Donovan

:thumb: I hope you dont take offense! I view it as a good thing.....resourcefulness is good! I dont know you....but this is just what I gather from reading about the good ol' days.

ill bring my pistons on friday night and well work something out....if they work then we can figure out something.

Werd.

mopar-tech
03-30-2009, 05:30 AM
:thumb: I hope you dont take offense! I view it as a good thing.....resourcefulness is good! I dont know you....but this is just what I gather from reading about the good ol' days.

None taken!