PDA

View Full Version : im thinking of a stroker engine

envy425
03-25-2009, 11:11 AM
ok i picked up the book "maximum boost" and im lovin it. im thinking i want to put a larger connecting rod on the stock crank shaft in my next engine. if i use a 2.2 what would a safe connecting rod length be to use on the stock crankshaft? im thinking i want to keep the same size piston and use the same crankshaft. i want to replace the stock pistons with a new forged set.

and if there are any past engine builds that address this or anything let me know please i am basically a newbie and any engine internal type projects. im just looking for some information to point me in the right direction.

Murphy
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
the 2.5l pistons are shorter and you could use longer rods with those. or you could use a tall block. the tall deck is a 2.5l engine that uses 2.2l pistons and rods that are 6mm longer. if you replaced the 2.2l pistons with the 2.5l pistons form a CB engine, you could make the rods even longer

theres a ton of info in the turbo database here http://thedodgegarage.com/

rbryant
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
It won't make significantly more power. Overall money is better spent elsewhere. A custom set of rods is usually something like $600 or more.

It also isn't really a change for a novice. The compression ratio, compression height, and other factors come into play.

-Rich

Ondonti
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
You realize stroke is determined by the crank right? Rods have nothing to do with it.

BadAssPerformance
03-25-2009, 01:36 PM
If you want a "stroked" 2.2L get a 2.5L (same bore, longer stroke)

If you want a de-stroked 2.2L to 2.0L, mopar used to make a custom crank that show up in the classifieds from time to time.

If you want a betetr rod-ratio (which sounds like what you're going for) then it is a longer length rod with the same crank. The "Tall Block" (2.5L EFI) is the best option for a custom build, but as mentioned, this option is rater intense and expensive for the return...

Whatcha looking to build?

Murphy
03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
you hsould do the tall block with CB 2.5l pistons, t2 rods and a custom crank! someone used that combination and managed to get 2.8l out of it

turbovanmanČ
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
you hsould do the tall block with CB 2.5l pistons, t2 rods and a custom crank! someone used that combination and managed to get 2.8l out of it

That would be sweet, :hail: :thumb: