PDA

View Full Version : TB question - Size related.

85_600
04-14-2006, 06:22 PM
I was gathering up my T2 conversion parts that I cuurently have which includes a one piece intake w/ TB still attached. Late last year when I still owned a 3.0 Voyager I wanted to upgrade the TB to the larger TB, so I bought one off of Ebay. I believe it was one from a 88+ Town and Country (I will double check this tomorrow).
Anyways, as I was boxing the T2 stuff up I noticed that the Ebay TB was larger than the one still on the intake. So, I lined them up and sure enough, it IS larger.

I want to use this larger one due to the fact that it is newer looking/in better condition that the intake TB.

Will I need to hone/bore out the intake to match this bigger TB or do they line up ok?

If I do need to hone/bore the intake, what effect will this have if this is the ONLY hone/bore job done on the whole car (IE: No other porting/honing work done - just the intake to TB).

Thanks,
Paul

contraption22
04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
You should port match the intake manifold to the size of the tb just to smooth out the flow a little bit, but, the gains from a larger TB on an unmodified one--piece is probably next to nill, simply because of the way the intake chokes down between the TB and the plenum.

85_600
04-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Maybe I'll just swap the AIS and TPS from the bigger one (if that's alright) since they are newer looking. I don't want to go messing with the airflow and all either - just a stock T2 conversion, if there ever is such a thing :D

tryingbe
04-14-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_intake.html

You need to re-read again. :)

WVRampage
04-15-2006, 01:48 AM
I never drove mine with the stock TB on the car I ported the opening to match the TB then used one of those flap wheels on my air die grinder to open up the whole bend and the last time the intake was off I cleaning it up more back in the rear of the bend but all the port work on the intake was done with other mods at the same time so I couldnt say how much it worked and didnt work,even if you ened up staying with the stock 46mm port match it if there is any place in there that doesnt flow perfectly smooth chean it up it shouldnt hurt any.

yogurt_slinger
04-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Gus ran 12s with a stock throttle body......:nod: :amen:

John B
04-15-2006, 06:05 AM
That doesn't mean everybody else can. Gus was a genius.

GLHSKEN
04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Lots have run 12's with stock 46mm tb's. As siad by Mike, it's not a restriction on a mostly stock car.

contraption22
04-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Maybe I'll just swap the AIS and TPS from the bigger one (if that's alright) since they are newer looking. I don't want to go messing with the airflow and all either - just a stock T2 conversion, if there ever is such a thing :D

Make sure the TPS is from a turbo car, because if it is from a v-6 motor, it is designed to turn in the opposite direction, and it will not work right for you.

8valves
04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
The argument that it won't help at all on a near stock car is flawed in my opinion. Any changes made to either the intake and/or exhaust side is moving towards better VE (volumetric efficiency) making it easier for your engine to produce whatever power you want it to.

Gus' car with a larger TB and a better intake, etc could've ran what he did at probably 5-10 psi less boost. Then again, that's not exactly what he was going for I'd imagine.

Aaron Miller

contraption22
04-15-2006, 05:31 PM
The argument that it won't help at all on a near stock car is flawed in my opinion. Any changes made to either the intake and/or exhaust side is moving towards better VE (volumetric efficiency) making it easier for your engine to produce whatever power you want it to.

Gus' car with a larger TB and a better intake, etc could've ran what he did at probably 5-10 psi less boost. Then again, that's not exactly what he was going for I'd imagine.

Aaron Miller

Ever seen inside a stock 1-piece intake manifold? Trust me, a throttle body isn't going to make much a difference.

Are there improvements that can be made OVER the stock intake system? Certainly. But that is not the question at hand. The question at hand is, would the bigger TB be an improvement on a stock 1 piece intake. The answer is that it is unlikely it will make power.

8valves
04-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Ever seen inside a stock 1-piece intake manifold? Trust me, a throttle body isn't going to make much a difference.

Are there improvements that can be made OVER the stock intake system? Certainly. But that is not the question at hand. The question at hand is, would the bigger TB be an improvement on a stock 1 piece intake. The answer is that it is unlikely it will make power.

I digress- I skimmed and didn't think about the one piece factor. In reality if it elminates the restriction of the TB size first, then that is one less point of obstrubtion in the intake, therefor the neck down in the one piece now is being forced air instead of tryign to pull it from the small TB area..

Even then you're probably correct on a one piece not seeing much of anything... on a two piece though- I'll argue that one till I'm blue in the face. :thumb: <----ha, get it! Alright, I'm going to stop drinking now for otnight. :D

Aaron Miller

boost geek
04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
Here's the problem. The elbow on the right is from a 3.3 intake with the 52 mm t.b. I adapted one to a late T1 intake, cant wait to try it.:thumb:

John B
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Good grief. How does the two piece compare in the neck?

GLHSKEN
04-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Here's the problem. The elbow on the right is from a 3.3 intake with the 52 mm t.b. I adapted one to a late T1 intake, cant wait to try it.:thumb:

Nice work.

And Aaron... We are talking the TB here... 5-10 psi less boost... Son, put down that 12-pack of empties :nod:

The cars are all about bottlenecks. Even if you maxxed out the intake track, you have to find the next one (which would be the stock intercooler)

DBB mini
04-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm a CNC machinist so what I did was; used a tapered endmill, bolted the TB to the intake, indicated the TB bore, removed the TB & wound up with a perfectly port matched intake for the 52mm. I'm contemplating offering this service to others as well as the TB to intake bore was WAY off on alignment. Right now I'm covered up with building my mini but within a month she'll be done. Turned out great, I'll post pics if anyone wants to see it.

85_600
05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, general consensus is....stick with stock..No Problem.

GLHSKEN
05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
But for those of us with a few more ponies... DDB Mini rocks!!!

bn880
05-02-2006, 08:28 AM

Aaron Miller

No way in hell! Once you're measuring your boost at the intake, that's it. The only thing you would gain is a better response and a cooler charge. So sure, maybe 1-2psi less... I'd worry more about the exhaust side. :p