PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading this wrong? 87 LM question.

85_600
04-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Over at TheDodgeGarage, I'm reading up on the LM that I have for my 85 600. Gary has this to say about the 86-87 LM:

86-87 GLHS logic module.

85-87 L-bodies (Charger & Omni), early 87 P-body (Shadow & Sundance), 85-86 Daytona, Lebaron, 400, 600, New Yorker, Lancer & GTS.

Then, this is mentioned:

87 Daytona, 87 CSX & 87 Shelby Lancer logic module.

Can be used in all 87 vehicles except L-bodies and early P-bodies. Early P-bodies used the 86 wiring and are easy to identify by looking at the logic module. If the map sensor is inside the LM it's a early car that uses GLHS electronics. If the map sensor is under hood, it uses the later Daytona electronics.

And, finally, my question pertains to this section:

NOTE: You can use the 87 L.M. in a car that normally would use the 86-87 GLHS module. The problem would be of course that you would have to move around a number of pins in the L.M. connector and wire up an external map sensor. Since there is no real functional reason to do this, I won't cover this subject here.

So, since I have a 87 Daytona Shelby Z LM, I'd have to do this swapping around of pins in the LM?? I don't mind the MAP part as I was expecting to do this anyways.

If so, I may just swap/trade over to a GLHS LM.

Let me know if I'm reading this wrong..:o

Thanks,
Paul

mw6886
04-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Its no big deal either way. The 87 is the LM of choice, in the custom cal world of LMs.
There are only 2 pins that need to be moved on the harness side of your car, not actually on the LM. And it is REAL simple. There are 3 pins for the MAP sensor you would need to add as well.
I would also highly recommend you move the MAP under the hood of your car.

I believe there was a sticky on turbododge.com Maybe we can get that sticky over here?

mw6886
04-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, turns out there is an answer to this - its in the FAQ section.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79

85_600
04-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, turns out there is an answer to this - its in the FAQ section.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79

Welllll, this wasn't covered anywhere I've read so far:

The 85 ‘G’ head requires 6 - 8 degrees more advance than the ‘swirl’ head used on the 86+ cars. You can bump the initial timing up to compensate.

Just bump the timing up some when I put everything together? And if so, what's the "recommened" method for bumping the timing: The belt or the (I forget the technical name for it) the one that deals with the tranny and the bellhousing..

5sp. mini
04-14-2006, 09:38 PM
thats if you are changing from your stock piston.AL abount the timing on the g head

85_600
04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
thats if you are changing from your stock piston.AL abount the timing on the g head

Whew! you just saved me from doing a massive search for timing...:D

Thanks...I may just have to throw in an extra box of cookies for that! :thumb: