PDA

View Full Version : Dynomax Race "Bullet"

85_600
12-25-2005, 01:12 AM
Has anyone ever used one of these?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=115&autoview=sku

I'd like to know how well they "muffle" ;)

Thanks!
Paul

Chris Faulk
12-25-2005, 01:44 AM

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24215&N=115&autoview=sku

Thanks!
Paul

My best setup was replacing the cat. with this muffler and then an Ultraflow out the back of the car.

I also had a side-exit exhaust at one point and this Bullet muffler was ALL I had in there. Sounded wicked.

85_600
12-25-2005, 01:53 AM
So, a hi flow cat ( I need one :yuck: ) and this should be fine...Nice. I wish I could do a side exhaust as well but I believe the law says otherwise.

How is the drone with the bullet, if any? I have some highway driving but not whole lot.

Chris Faulk
12-25-2005, 01:57 AM
So, a hi flow cat ( I need one :yuck: ) and this should be fine...Nice. I wish I could do a side exhaust as well but I believe the law says otherwise.

How is the drone with the bullet, if any? I have some highway driving but not whole lot.

Yes it is illegal to have the exhaust exit in the area of the passenger cabin. It is supposed to be behind.

The drone wasn't so bad, but the 10hr trip to SDAC-12 wasn't so pleasant. Short trips weren't a problem at all.

I have a video clip I can send you of the exhaust sound.

Aries_Turbo
12-25-2005, 01:58 AM
i second the short trip thing. sounds awesome then,,,,, long trip is punishment. :)

85_600
12-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Yes it is illegal to have the exhaust exit in the area of the passenger cabin. It is supposed to be behind.

The drone wasn't so bad, but the 10hr trip to SDAC-12 wasn't so pleasant. Short trips weren't a problem at all.

I have a video clip I can send you of the exhaust sound.

Video would be great! You can send it to:

megadeus@wadsnet.com

I hope it's not too big. I think I can handle up to about 10mb.

TeddyZ
12-25-2005, 04:33 AM
post it
lets us all hear it :thumb:

Dave
12-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Post the vid!! I just bought one of these mufflers for my friend's Saturn SC2, I hope it sounds sexy and not too ricey.

OneFastBaron
12-25-2005, 11:04 AM
i have a Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet muffler where the stock muffler was on my lebaron with all 2.5" piping and no cat. sounded good to me, i suppose a little on the loud side but now i have the exhaust disconnect and im running open downpipe so you know i really dont care how loud it is. ;)

i have a few short videos of my car idling and revving (when i had exhaust) that i need to host and ill post them up.

KJ
88 Turbo Lebaron aka The Black Baron
www.cardomain.com/id/onefastbaron88

OneFastBaron
12-25-2005, 11:14 AM
i have a Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet muffler where the stock muffler was on my lebaron with all 2.5" piping and no cat. sounded good to me, i suppose a little on the loud side but now i have the exhaust disconnect and im running open downpipe so you know i really dont care how loud it is. ;)

i have a few short videos of my car idling and revving (when i had exhaust) that i need to host and ill post them up.

KJ

and here you guys go.. thats back when my car was pretty stock MBC, lame probe intercooler, stock bov's, and still with the mitsu turbo

http://media.putfile.com/idling42

http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-sound72

enjoy.

KJ

Chris Faulk
12-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Video would be great! You can send it to:

megadeus@wadsnet.com

I hope it's not too big. I think I can handle up to about 10mb.

3.3meg and I'll post it in my Gallery and it'll be under Chris Faulk! :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
12-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I have a dynomax race bullet on my Z. I sched to the 'bullet' when I made the new 3" stainless system on it and the non-stainless, non-MB system which had a Dynomax Oval went to my Shadow.

The ovals are nice and quiet at idle, a nice deep throaty sound when you're on it and straight thru just like the bullets.

I have a link to a video of my Z at SDAC-15 - ~5000 rpm launch. 3" SS MB system, long 3# bullet muffler, no cat and 3" custom DP:

http://home.fuse.net/kb9qdi/MVI_1831.AVI

btw, not sure who took this video but if you have more of my car, I'd like copies them! :thumb:

85_600
12-25-2005, 05:22 PM
http://media.putfile.com/exhaust-sound72

enjoy.

KJ

Oh yeah! I LIKE this one!!:thumb:

You said this is a race bullet but I noticed you have dual tips. Is that an extra addition? Looks nice and fairly close to stock. I wanted to do the same as well. What type of "tips" did you use?

OneFastBaron
12-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Oh yeah! I LIKE this one!!:thumb:

You said this is a race bullet but I noticed you have dual tips. Is that an extra addition? Looks nice and fairly close to stock. I wanted to do the same as well. What type of "tips" did you use?

i bought the tips and muffler from jegs. the tips are Hooker Headers Euro style tips (no resonators) its a 2.5" inlet with 3" outlets i believe. the tip costed more than the muffler. heh. but its the only tip that i found that resembled stock (which is what i was going after) and if you want to see better pictures of the tips i have a picture or two of them on my website link in my signature.

KJ

85_600
12-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm sold on the bullet now. And it saved me about $25 on my exhaust setup.

I may have to find an alternate to the tips but that shouldn't be too hard.

Very Nice 'Baron....

Oh, I noticed in the pics of the meet you have on your car domain site, does everyone's TD need to have anice CLEAN engine bay to go to a meet? :p

briceturbosports
12-25-2005, 09:47 PM
i have one on my charger with no cat for the track its kick azz but for the street it will be a bit loud but it sounds good

85_600
12-25-2005, 10:35 PM
but for the street it will be a bit loud but it sounds good

How loud? :o I don't want to wake the neighbors coming home from work at 1am. ;) If it's like the second video posted above then I believe I can live with that.

OneFastBaron
12-25-2005, 11:19 PM
How loud? :o I don't want to wake the neighbors coming home from work at 1am. ;) If it's like the second video posted above then I believe I can live with that.

thanks for the comment on my car! its a little on the loud side but i wouldnt worry about waking your neigbors if your just crusin past.

i know my neigbors must be heavy sleepers because i come home 1am or later on occasions in my baron and im just running an open downpipe :thumb:

KJ

SteveReject
12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Would this fit in the place of my resonator under my car? I'd like to get some kind of muffler on here before I get it inspected since I don't know IL laws, I just moved here but didn't bring my car yet. Would this be louder than my current setup of a 2.5" pipe with stock cat and a resonator. I have my current exhaust pics on page 3 of my cardomain.

-Steve Reject

1992 Chrysler Lebaron GTC (http://www.cardomain.com/id/1992lebarongtc)
K&N Cold Air Intake, 15* Ignition Timing, 52mm Throttle Body, 2.5" catback, MSD Coil,Taylor 8mm wires, NGK Plugs, HD Trans Cooler, Aluminum Radiator, A-Spec Strut Tower Bar, Falken ZE-512 205/55/16

85_600
12-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Would this fit in the place of my resonator under my car? I'd like to get some kind of muffler on here before I get it inspected since I don't know IL laws, I just moved here but didn't bring my car yet. Would this be louder than my current setup of a 2.5" pipe with stock cat and a resonator. I have my current exhaust pics on page 3 of my cardomain.

-Steve Reject

K&N Cold Air Intake, 15* Ignition Timing, 52mm Throttle Body, 2.5" catback, MSD Coil,Taylor 8mm wires, NGK Plugs, HD Trans Cooler, Aluminum Radiator, A-Spec Strut Tower Bar, Falken ZE-512 205/55/16

I noticed you have the 3.0 V6. I use to have a 95 Voyager with the 3.0. I did a cat back exhaust. I kept the stock cat, removed the resonator and used a Thrush Turbo muffler ( poor man's version of a Dynomax ST muffler ). It was a very nice rumble and not "too" loud on the highway. I hope that helps on whether or not the bullet would be louder or quieter. I would think it should fit in place of the resonator just because of the simliar size of the two. I had debated on using the bullet AND the Thrush, just to keep the sound down but it was nice over all.

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2005, 06:55 PM

-Steve Reject

Welcome to Chicago Steve! IL has a DB limit, but I'm not sure what it is and have never seen an officer with a DB meter. I got a ticket once for 3" straight pipe no muffler on my Z, and only got a warning once for an open downpipe on my CSX, so with anything around here, its all about what situation you are in and what mood the cop is in. A few locals have driven for years with open down pipes w/o issue.. I did for a couple years and then a couple more with the straight 3"

On my 'clone' I have 3" thru an oval dynomax race magnum, no cat, and have driven by several cops w/o issue and have talked to a couple about my speed w/o concern of teh exhaust note, and when I take it to work I come home right by the police station, no issue... damn, hope I didnt just curse myself! Although the oval is quieter than the bullet...

TurboXT
01-21-2006, 02:38 AM
i have a 3" cat and that muffler on my daytona and 2.5" on my shelby charger. both sound good.

85glht
01-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Thanks!
Paul

I use that "muffler"..... my neighbor HATES it.:evil:
So to answer your question, it is loud for other people but I like it!:D

GLHS592
01-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I would not recommend a bullet for a daily driver. I have a 3" bullet mounted where the cat was with a side exit on my Shelby Charger. After about 15 minutes of constant speed, it makes you crazy. It sounds awesome for a car that's used as a toy.

BadAssPerformance
01-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll second that... the Dynomax Race Magnum oval sounds good and is a little nicer for day to day use with the same flow performance as the bullet and only a couple pounds heavier.

TurboMinivan
01-31-2006, 02:47 AM
My state laws require a "muffler" but there is no sound limit per se. Therefore, I install Dynomax bullets on my turbo cars since they are the highest flowing devices which meet the legal definition of a muffler. :D My van has a 3" bullet plus a 3" high-flow cat and 3" mandrel piping all the way to the rear bumper. It definitely makes more noise than a stock vehicle, but the turbo (.63 A/R) does help take some of the 'starch' out of the exhaust note. I love the sound and cannot get enough of it. Does it drone on the highway? Yes, some. But I've made 7-hr road trips in it without complaint.

The bullet mufflers have helped me achieve one of my lifelong dreams, though. You know how every neighborhood has That One Guy who is always working on his cars (with air tools, of course) into the wee hours of the morning? You can always tell whenever he comes or goes because everybody in a 3-block radius hears his car? In my neighborhood, I'm that guy. :evil: I once heard from a third party friend that the neighbors who used to live across the street and one house down always hated my van--every time after 10:00pm that I fired it up or drove home, their kids would wake up. If noise supression is more important to you, definitely step up to the Dynomax oval instead.

One more thing: never under any circumstances install a bullet muffler on a non-turbo car! My long-ago girlfriend had a '95 Neon SOHC 5-speed. Like me, she liked the sound of the 2.5" bullet on my GLH Turbo I had at the time, so we installed one in place of the factory muffler on her Neon. All other piping was untouched; it was literally just a muffler swap and nothing more. Good gracious, it was louder than hell!! Very harsh, very raspy, it was worse than any ricer you've ever heard. I doubt an open header would have made any more noise--really! She left that muffler there for years until she finally sold the car; I'm amazed she never got some sort of ticket for it.

-Dempsey

turbovanmanČ
01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Hahahhaa, I was THAT guy when I was a teenager. I was also that guy at my old shop before I moved, I would work late and the neighbours would phone and complain, :D

TurboXT
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
i almost didnt pass emissions because of a bullet, but i showed them a summit mag to prove that it was a muffler. they kept telling me it wasnt a muffler.

BadAssPerformance
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Did you ask the jack-leg how the shape of the muffler effects 'emissions'?

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Did you ask the jack-leg how the shape of the muffler effects 'emissions'?

Utah actually has two tests--an emissions test and a "safety" test. Since you have to pass them both to register your car, most people refer to them collectively by simply saying emission test.

As part of the safety test, the mechanic is supposed to examine the exhaust system. He has a short checklist of things to look for. On his checklist, it says, "is there is no muffler present, the car is an automatic failure." There's nothing about sound levels; the law simply states that some sort of muffler must be present. Now you know.

-Dempsey

Tony Hanna
02-01-2006, 03:17 AM
Hahahhaa, I was THAT guy when I was a teenager. I was also that guy at my old shop before I moved, I would work late and the neighbours would phone and complain, :D

LOL, me too. I actually had the sherrif stop by my house one afternoon and ask me to please put a different set of mufflers on my car ('78 Camaro w/a 400 Pontiac, 2.25" duals and shorty glasspacks). He said he was tired of getting calls from my neighbors. I knew there wasn't anything he could do legally (no db limit) but since he asked nice and the glasspacks were getting on my nerves anyway, I swapped them for a set of turbo mufflers.

What really aggrivated me was that I always took care to be quiet if I had to come and go late, and I never worked on the car at night. It was just some neighbors wanting to stir crap.
The older I get, the lower my tolerance for BS. If something like that happened now, I'd probably build an engine or two just so I could break in the cam through open headers at 3:00 am.

BadAssPerformance
02-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Utah actually has two tests--an emissions test and a "safety" test. ... Now you know.

-Dempsey

Gotcha, didnt know that it was a 'safety teat' deal... I'm glad we dont have a 'safety test' here!

A buddy/co-worker of mine from Allentown, PA said they used to take their cars to the 'safety teat' garage with a case of beer, lol.

8valves
02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I use a 3" race bullet on my DD, full 3" DP back with it located in the stock position. Honestly, it's not too loud, I'm surprised to hear people on here think it is. I'm actually taking it off the car and running no muffler because I WANT it to be more obnoxious. If anyone wants it let me know, probably 10K miles on it. You can find videos of my car on the old board under FD3S RX7 vs. Charger, and the "rematch" of that race.

Aaron Miller

TurboMinivan
02-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I use a 3" race bullet on my DD, full 3" DP back with it located in the stock position. Honestly, it's not too loud, I'm surprised to hear people on here think it is.

This reminded me of something. When you've got a straight-through muffler and large pipe, the noise level certainly goes up. Precisely how much louder it gets is also dependent on your turbo--the bigger the turbine, the louder the noise.

Case in point: my van. I installed my custom exhaust (3" mandrel w/bullet and high-flow cat) when I still had the stock Mitsu turbo. It was definitely louder, but very liveable. Later, I upgraded to a stock TurboII Garrett turbo. The exhaust note got louder, but I still didn't think it was a big deal. Later still, I upgraded to a .63 A/R on the turbine. Now the noise is even louder... but I don't care. Let the neighbors complain. :evil:

-Dempsey

Aries_Turbo
02-01-2006, 09:22 PM
the best is when they complain when you drive by.... thats when they get a smoke show. :)

Brian

TurboXT
02-05-2006, 12:22 AM
here are my cars. shitty videos.. but anyways, the shelby charger is a 2.5 in bullet and the daytona is 3". both have hi flow cats

http://media.putfile.com/P1010452

http://media.putfile.com/P1010451

85_600
04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Yet another "more or less a question"...:o

I've heard about the Ultraflow being the best sounding muffler, however, I'm trying to cut some costs down on my minor rebuild/T2 conversion.

How would a 2.5" dp, high flow cat, and then a 2.5"in and out Glasspack sound? I'm thinking of doing a side exit BUT, it could very well be just shooting it out the rear. Using the glasspack would save me some $$...

Thanks,
Paul

BadAssPerformance
04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
FWIW, I have the longer 3" Race Magnum Bullet muffler on my Z and it is noticibly louder and not as deep as the 3" Race Magnum Oval on my T2 Shadow.

cordes
04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I would want to do the exhaust only once. by the time you put the work and money into any upgrades, you would have been way better off to do it once right.

Is inspection required in your area? If not, I would ditch the cat for money savings alone.

85_600
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
I would want to do the exhaust only once. by the time you put the work and money into any upgrades, you would have been way better off to do it once right.

Is inspection required in your area? If not, I would ditch the cat for money savings alone.

Yea, inspections are a must. Although..they just stopped the fee this year. So no more $19.50 every two years :thumb:

Yea, I know what you mean. Do it now and right..don't wait.

cordes
04-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, inspections are a must. Although..they just stopped the fee this year. So no more $19.50 every two years :thumb:

Yea, I know what you mean. Do it now and right..don't wait.

Actually I am one for prudence. If you convert to TII you can have a whole lot of fun with the car while you have a stock type exhaust on it. Especially if you are keeping the car fairly mild. For your power goals, I would want an exhaust that is a little more sedate sounding, but that is my preference I guess.

BadAssPerformance
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Actually I am one for prudence. If you convert to TII you can have a whole lot of fun with the car while you have a stock type exhaust on it. ....

Until the ~20 year old muffler crushes on the inside from the exhaust pressure.

85_600
04-24-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm looking for something that won't be too loud on my trips to work, but yet will have the flow for the added power. I guess a inbetween type of muffler.

I'm looking at Summit and Jegs right now. I'm guessing from the shape of the OEM muffler I'll have to stick with a "Round" case. I don't think the oval one will fit where the stock muffler sits. If I did go with an oval shape I'd have to put it right after the cat and just run mandrel pipe out the rear. But this in itself may lead to more sound inside than I'm looking for.

I'm still looking though...

**EDIT** haha, I just found the one I had on my list earlier:
MagnaFlow (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE%2D14416&N=4294922710+4294891681+4294906121+115&autoview=sku)

MiniMopar
05-04-2006, 06:21 PM
The Dynomax Super Turbo can be had in round. I have one on my CSX right now on a 2.5" system. It's about the same volume as an early stock turbo Daytona, but deeper in tone. It's not as quiet as the stock Shadow exhaust, but no one complains about it.

It's aluminzed though, so don't expect to get more than 5 or 6 years out of it. I'm replacing it with a 3" to dual 2.5" Super Turbo muffler with the stock-looking twin angled tail pipes...for a stock look. My Daytona is getting the same 3" oval that JT's Shadow has. I was suprised how quiet it was, at least at idle. Sounded cool when he got on it.

85_600
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
The Dynomax Super Turbo can be had in round.

Do you have a part number handy? I always hate sifting through all the "Dynomax" hits from a search at Summit and Jegs. I'd like the twin outlet like you mentioned.

Thanks!
Paul

MiniMopar
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
My email is not easily searchable before 1999, but I just measured the case length so I am 99.9% certain that this is it:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D17710&N=0&autoview=sku

Note that this is the 2.5" version. It's a path muffler, so it doesn't flow as good as a straight-through, but it flows good as path mufflers go. It also has a nice deep tone that I've always liked. The 2.5" exhaust with no muffler has a lot of drone. With this muffler there is no drone at all.