PDA

View Full Version : SRT4 rods crappy machining?

TurbododgePirate
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I just got a set of SRT4 rods. The joint where the cap meets the rod looks like it was broken off on all of them. I mean, you could never mistake the wrong cap for the wrong rod, but it looks like hell. Is this normal?

neongary
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Nah, it's a new thing with connecting rods. The companies actually fracture or break off the end on purpose. Here is some good info on it.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1109/connecting_rod_reconditioning_more_to_it_than_you_ might_think.aspx

contraption22
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
^^^ what he said. "Cracked cap" connecting rod design. I think the first I heard of it was the GM LT1 engines in the early 90's.

TurbododgePirate
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
AH, that makes me feel better. Though I may have purchased junk at junk prices.

karlak
03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
great............. means a lot of srt4 owners will be buying aftermarket when its time to rebuild. another great engineering design to save a few dollars.
:mad:

contraption22
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
great............. means a lot of srt4 owners will be buying aftermarket when its time to rebuild. another great engineering design to save a few dollars.

Actually, it's nto as bad as you think. From a manufacturing standpoint, this design leads to less machining to get the rods into spec. These rods are also fairly strong and very cheap to purchase new.

rich tideswell
03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
copied from srtforums:

The connecting rods are forged in one solid piece, machined, and then broken in half. That's right, the rod-bearing cap is created by simply snapping off the bottom half of the rod bearing. These "cracked" rods fit together perfectly, thanks to the jagged interface, ensuring a perfectly round rod bearing when the rod is assembled. This cracking technique is common on flimsy powdered-metal rods, but relatively rare on forged parts.

The rod bolts are the same 9mm in diameter as the naturally aspirated 2.4, but use a slightly different thread shape (called MJ9 if you insist on knowing everything) with a slightly more rounded chamfer at the bottom of the threads to reduce stress concentration. Since the base of the threads is the bolt's weakest point, this simple change strengthens the entire bolt.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f10/srt-4-complete-breakdown-324008/

mario03SRT
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I just got a set of SRT4 rods. The joint where the cap meets the rod looks like it was broken off on all of them. I mean, you could never mistake the wrong cap for the wrong rod, but it looks like hell. Is this normal?

With the beginning of the 2.0L Neon/Mopar went to the cracked cap design. The fit and alignment becomes perfect. No more misalignment.......badda boom- badda bing.

BadFastGTC
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
And when you exceed the design intent in terms of power produced, I can get you the Manley SRT4 replacements!

Actually, it's nto as bad as you think. From a manufacturing standpoint, this design leads to less machining to get the rods into spec. These rods are also fairly strong and very cheap to purchase new.

turbovanmanČ
03-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Why would you say that, its actually better as already stated, :thumb:

And when you exceed the design intent in terms of power produced, I can get you the Manley SRT4 replacements!

How much? ;)

TurbododgePirate
03-18-2009, 03:30 PM

OOh OOh Inquiring minds want to know! Considering I only spent $55 on the SRT4 rods. :)