PDA

View Full Version : L-Body Engine Mounts...(Pics)

SpoolinGLH
04-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Ok, I need set straight because im putting a commonblock into a omni and im confused on a few things....

I know if use my old water pump i will have to notch the oil pan... Im going to use my old alternator and bracketry... What year power steering pump and lines should I use??And are all Power Steering pump brackets the same???The car didnt have one on it when i bought it....

Second. Someone did a half-arse job doing a t2 conversion on it... and i think they used the wrong motor mounts.... I always thought that omni motor mounts were specific...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/HollywoodFashionz/m.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/HollywoodFashionz/rt.jpg

They sure look the same to me....

Last but not least what is this mount
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/HollywoodFashionz/mypics004.jpg

thanks in advanced

GLHS592
04-14-2006, 06:20 AM
All the brackets, that were bolted to your original block, will bolt to you common block. Both of those motor mount brackets look like the ones in my L-bodies. You will only have to notch the lip of your oil pan for the water pump clearance. It isn't much at all.

Turbodave
04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
The L-body mounts are L-body specific, the passenger one for example should have a shorter "hook" shaped piece letting the engine sit closer to the frame rail.

That last pic is of a trans mount, hard to tell what it's off of.

CletusJones
04-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Last but not least what is this mount
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/HollywoodFashionz/mypics004.jpg
Looks like a trans mount to me. Well, at least that's what the right side trans mount in my Daytona looked like.

SpoolinGLH
04-14-2006, 11:36 AM
ok... what about the power steering?

GLHS592
04-14-2006, 11:59 AM
ok... what about the power steering?

Ahem...

All the brackets, that were bolted to your original block, will bolt to you common block.

SpoolinGLH
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Kevin,

:lol: i guess i wasnt that clear.... I dont have a steering pump or BRACKET for this car.... the car didnt have one on it... is a ps bracket and pump of a pbody the same as a bracket and pump on a lbody??

GLHS592
04-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh, sorry. I don't know about the L-body or P-body brackets being the same. I wouldn't think they'd be that much different. Heck, you don't need power steering in an L-body. :)

SpoolinGLH
04-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Oh, sorry. I don't know about the L-body or P-body brackets being the same. I wouldn't think they'd be that much different. Heck, you don't need power steering in an L-body. :)

lol i was going to go manual but i like the idea of having a close ration rack... Im just going to go to the junkyard and pull all mounts and everything off a shelby charger i seen in the junkyard :o

tryingbe
04-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Replace all the seals in the p/s system before you put them in your car.

I would hate to take out the p/s system twice.

iTurbo
04-21-2006, 12:56 AM
I have an '89 2.5L commonblock from a Caravan in my GLH Turbo. I had to change out all the motor mount bracketry for the L-body stuff. Bolted right on no problem. The power steering pump bracket is from the Caravan, I believe it's the same for any body style as far as the Saginaw pumps anyway.

altered7151
04-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I have a power steering pump for a p-body and its the same as the l-body pump. Not sure if they are all the same, but its a pretty good chance. The trans mount for the l-body is the last pic you posted, its also specific to the l-body. It basically mounts backwards from the other body styles.

SpoolinGLH
04-21-2006, 01:47 AM
actually the trans mount is from a pbody...

GLHSKEN
04-21-2006, 07:08 AM
All power steering pump brackets in all cars are the same with one exception. It depends on which style pump. No matter what they will bolt up and work on any engine.

The S is Silent
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Beware though...you can use any power steering pump in your car, but the power steering lines are bent for a specific power steering pump. Some had an outlet port on the side closest to the engine, some had a port closest to the firewall. If you are mixing and matching...make sure you check to see that no belts are rubbing on the power steering hose. The lines will attach to both pumps...it might just be hard to get the threads started.

SpoolinGLH
04-21-2006, 12:43 PM
thank you matt and ken thats exactly the answers ive been looking for....

Turbodave
04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
And to add to it, all the L-body's I've ever seen had the Saginaw (metal resevoir) pump. Most P-body's I've come across had the plastic resevoir ZF pumps.