PDA

View Full Version : new clutch/new engine...break in..

TurboII
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
hey chris, i bought wiseco pistons and crack kit and a clutch kit from you a short period of time ago. im in the process of putting the engine in my car and starting up this Sunday...:D. my question is how am i suppose to break in the wiseco piston rings when having a new clutch in my car. some say while in second gear give it on/off throttle with no boost while in motion. some say to take it easy...what does wiseco procedure say to do and how am i suppose break in a clutch as well?

Joey,ct

butchsuppe
03-17-2009, 02:00 AM
What I did was use the old clutch till I broke in the motor than install the new clutch. Otherwise my new clutch would be history by now, has 5K on it with no problems. I feel it was worth the extra work to ensure the clutch would last me awhile.:nod:

djtang
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking get on the highway at a slow speed in like 3rd or 4th gear, let the clutch engage fully and slowly roll on the throttle till WOT/Max boost/high rpm and keep her there for a second, slowly roll off, then do it again a few times to seat the rings and not rape the new clutch. Will this work? I don't have an old clutch to work with....

turbo84voyager
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Mine is an auto but I am running wiseco's, I didn't do anything special for break-in. I just varied the speed. I didnt have any problems with rings sealing. Most engine builders I talked to over the years about it said run it. Dont beat it but dont baby it. I have done this for several engines and knock on wood I never had a problem.

Chris W
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Mine is an auto but I am running wiseco's, I didn't do anything special for break-in. I just varied the speed. I didnt have any problems with rings sealing. Most engine builders I talked to over the years about it said run it. Dont beat it but dont baby it. I have done this for several engines and knock on wood I never had a problem.

That pretty much sums up what we would have told you. Once the clutch is broken in you can start thrashing on it.:thumb:

Chris-TU

TurboII
04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Doesnt a clutch need a good 3,000 miles to break in?

moparzrule
04-10-2009, 10:23 AM
No, more like 300 miles for break in, thats what I always recommend anyway and it hasn't failed me yet.

I know this thread is old but I'll give my break in procedure I use.

Rings typical seat pretty much instantly when you start the engine for the first time, but I do this anyway just to make sure-
While breaking in an engine you should be running a line directly to the wastegate can, meaning no more than 5-7 PSI and boost also ramps up slowly that way. This way you will not be making very much power, go on a stretch of uphill highway and do a couple 3rd and 4th gear WOT runs until about 5000 RPM with your foot on the brake pedal a little (don't overheat your brakes though). This will load the engine and seat the rings better. With only 5-7 PSI the clutch will not slip at all, just don't floor it until the clutch is fully engaged.