PDA

View Full Version : My lastest prgress.

black86glhs
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Decided to start a new thread here since I have a GLHS. Today I pulled the old block and k-frame out. Degreased the k-frame and began to do some welding to it. I'll get some pics after it is welded. I'm hoping to have it back in the car tomorrow. I also ordered some bushings from Johnny(Polybushings) for the control arms. Here are a few pics.

BadAssPerformance
03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Cool :thumb: '86 or '87? Number? more pics? :D

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Its an '86 JT. It is the one I've posted about in various forums. I'll upload a bunch of pics over the next day or two.

Mike_Shepard
03-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Lookin good bryan

mo' parts
03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
You've been busy:thumb:
Looks good.

Captain Chaos
03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Its an '86 JT.

Which is what the sig says...:thumb:

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Which is what the sig says...:thumb:He is soooooo busy making avatars that he doesn't have time to look at the monitor.:lol:;)

BadAssPerformance
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
He is soooooo busy making avatars that he doesn't have time to look at the monitor.:lol:;)

Ummm :o yeah, hey it was in parts, didnt know if you had an '86 and '87 ;)

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Just messing with ya. True that it is in pieces....many of them!:yuck:

Chad T
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Gitter Done! Good to see you making some progress. Man that is one filthy K-frame!

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I'll get some pics after I'm finished welding on it, then you will see how god awful it was.

Captain Chaos
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
He is soooooo busy making avatars that he doesn't have time to look at the monitor.:lol:;)

I don't know, my car is still parked in front of the garage.http://www.devilbrad.com/smilies2/whistle.gif

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Here are a few more pics of the parts I'm working on. Chad, you'll see how clean the k-frame looks in one of them. I had the hat made last year at Carlisle. A couple people might remember seeing it when we were there.

Chad T
03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Looking good! I'm going to need to do that one of these days. You just welding weak spots or are you adding in some sheet metal? I've heard about beefing it up but nothing specific.

black86glhs
03-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Just welding some weak spots and correcting some bad welds from the previous owner. :nod:

Marcus86GLHS
03-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Bryan what's the project goals for #161?

black86glhs
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Right now it is to get it running again. Later, probably after I graduate(no not high school...lol), I'll put new floor pans in it. Right now I'm just patching the floors. Not really sure what else for goals yet. I'm not butchering it, after all it is a GLHS. :thumb:

jaysshelby
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I know someone who could paint it for you.:eyebrows:

black86glhs
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
And does a fine job, too!!!

black86glhs
03-18-2009, 09:35 PM
The K-frame is covered in truck bed coating and the front control arm bushings showed up today. I'm hoping to have the frame and lower control arms back in this weekend so I can set it back on the ground. Some of the neighbors have been giving me odd looks. So I give them right back!!:thumb:
edit: Sorry for the bad pics, I think the batteries were low in the cam. Hardly any flash.

black86glhs
03-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Here are some better ones and a couple more.:D

black86glhs
03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
I discovered the reason my left axle shaft was so compressed and hard to install. The previous Idiot, I mean owner, had a p/g body or a Caravan axle on the pass side!!! When you set the 2 next to each other, it is quite a bit longer than the drivers side. I am so glad I bought it and got it away from him. Me hacking stuff together is so much better than his best attempt.:nod:
Anywho, I have the k-frame, control arms and bushings, and the rack bolted back in the car. Waiting on a passenger side axle(1 piece) before I put the drivetrain back in.:thumb:

Chad T
03-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice progress Bryan. You might be back in business before I am.

black86glhs
03-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Maybe, But you were supposed to be all ready. What happened, you get a nice boost spike and the #4 piston threw its hands in the air and said, "the hell with this!"....???
Sucks, but it didn't look too bad. You'll be running soon too.:thumb:

black86glhs
03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
A couple pics my wife took while I was out staring at the Omni.

Just for kicks, I was able to get the engine and trans in the car, too!:D:clap2::partywoot::rockon:

black86glhs
03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Check out the pics in the post above!

rare_ram
03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
The last pic looks like the Omni is eating you.:D

Chad T
03-24-2009, 09:54 PM
A couple pics my wife took while I was out staring at the Omni.

Just for kicks, I was able to get the engine and trans in the car, too!:D:clap2::partywoot::rockon:

Nice work! That's a big step there. Those pics are hilarioius. :lol: Got me a T1 piston ready to go in. :nod:

BadAssPerformance
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
LOL funny pics! :thumb:

black86glhs
04-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Been a while since I posted here for an update. The drivetrain is completely in the car. The thing I am working on is relocating the air filter to the pass side. Also need to get an alt belt for a common block. Put a 3/8 pipe plug in the wp inlet repaired some wiring. Fluids are in and so is the injector harness. Need to get a PCV valve and 2.25" to 2.5" silicone hose adapter. Wanted to work on it some more today, but the no rain memo didn't get sent out.

jaysshelby
04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
:needpics1:

black86glhs
04-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Pics are on the way.:nod:
On a side note, I decided to try to start the S earlier. I do have a couple vacuum hoses still unhooked, but I cranked the engine over for 3 seconds and it lit right off!!!! I moved the distributor a little and it ran pretty good for its first start. Just need to find out what length alt belt I need(its shorter than stock). Until then, I can't run it for long or drive it, but it lives!!!:clap:

Chad T
04-22-2009, 11:47 PM
:thumb: Congrats on the fire up!! Now get that thing rolling. ;)

WickedShelby88
04-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Good to hear it fired right up!

bgbmxer
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Looking good! I'm going to need to do that one of these days. You just welding weak spots or are you adding in some sheet metal? I've heard about beefing it up but nothing specific.

i will post my pictures up when im done with mine wwe welded and beefed it up quite a bit but we are still working on it

black86glhs
04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
i will post my pictures up when im done with mine wwe welded and beefed it up quite a bit but we are still working on itI thought about doing the same, but figured just welding would give it plenty of strength compared to what it had. I'm considering finding another unmolested one and reinforcing the front control arm bushing area.

bgbmxer
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
I thought about doing the same, but figured just welding would give it plenty of strength compared to what it had. I'm considering finding another unmolested one and reinforcing the front control arm bushing area.

that was one of the main areas we focused on with my k frame. i also want to see what i can do with where it bolts to the body. those upright pieces need some gussets if they will clear but i need pictures of one in a car first or put mine in and take it back out lol

black86glhs
04-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Here are some pics of the S so far. When my new spark plug wires show up, I'll get some updated ones.
Did a compression check because it was hard to start and felt like it was running on 2-3 cyl. That is why it is getting new plug wires, old ones came apart for the last time. 160-170 across all 4 and no smoke out the exhaust.:D Yes it is a little high, but the cam is not centered(adj cam sprocket). Also found terminal backed out on new injector harness connector and repaired that. More to come.

mo' parts
04-26-2009, 11:34 AM
lookin good Bryan. I hope you finished the bologna and cheese that was in the ziplock before installation. :lol:

black86glhs
04-26-2009, 12:23 PM
lookin good Bryan. I hope you finished the bolgna and cheese that was in the ziplock before installation. :lol:The bologna, yes.....the cheese, using it to attract Hondas!!!:nod::D

mo' parts
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
The bologna, yes.....the cheese, using it to attract Hondas!!!:nod::D

:lol: Nice!!

black86glhs
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I had issues with it hitting 7-8 psi, check engine light coming on, and it falling on its face. Thought the LM had gone ape sh*t.:mad:
Yesterday I had time to play with it and found that I needed to tweak many of the terminals in the blue LM connector. I did this to the red one last year but must have forgotten the blue one. Took it for a drive and YAHTZEE!!!!:thumb: 14 psi and no problems. Adjusted the cam timing, but didn't get a chance to drive it.
It drives so much better with the unequal axles(correct ones to boot) and new control arm bushings. Thanks Johnny.:nod:
Now to finish the air intake piping and start getting the interior put back together.

Chad T
05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Nice going Bryan! Did you change both axles or just replace the u-joint/axle deal with the longer one? I need to do that soon.

black86glhs
05-06-2009, 01:20 AM
I got rid of the intermediate shaft and put in a long pass side one(TBI shaft). Had to replace the inner boot on the DS one from it being compressed when the wrong one was in the pass side.Torque steer is gone.
I was able to get the headlight switch, radio, and dash trim pieces back in. Need to get a 5040390 or 5040395 serp belt. The 5040400 was a good length(though still longer than needed), but the belt was slapping against the alt mount and bushing. I drilled another hole in the bracket, 1/2" above the bottom one, to lower the bracket. The result is that I can now get a swivel 1/2" socket on the tensioning bolt and it lowered the alt pulley a little. Add a shorter belt and it should be good after that.
Also fixed a funny coolant leak I had. The lower left t-stat stud bottomed out just shy of being tight enough. Fixed that and now no more coolant showers for the front of the block.
Doing some PM work on my Delta 88, so haven't done much other than paint the last intake pipe. After I get the pipe in the car, I'll get some pics.

black86glhs
05-07-2009, 07:36 PM
WOO HOO!!!! I finally got the air intake pipe finished. Here are some pics of it and the engine bay. It quiets the car down nicely but moves the air filter to a cooler area.:thumb:

black86glhs
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Look pics above.....lol!

blk86trbo
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Looks good Bryan, keep it up! :thumb:

black86glhs
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks Paul. I know it isn't like Reeves or Stephane, but it is cool to me. Now if I could just find some floors? Damn, I need to email Brian about the charger at his place.:banghead:

Chad T
05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Looks like you're ready to rip there Bryan! Should have some fun in that.

black86glhs
05-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I had been putting off patching the floor and doing the other stuff(like rebuilding the rest of the car:rolleyes:) but decided it was time to finish it up so I can drive it without seeing the ground rushing by.:amen:
I grabbed the carpet out of the garage, scrub brush, and a half bottle of Pro 409 degreaser. Spent a short while cleaning the carpet. This the original carpet with over 170K worth of driving and dirt on it. I think it came pretty darn clean Even some of the rust stains around the seat cutouts came out!!!
After I finish the patch(cough....hack job....cough) on the pass floor, I'll put it back in.

PS. Cleaned the dash and got the cluster trim and radio back in.

black86glhs
05-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I was driving it around today. Forgot to mention I put a new coil on it. It does seem to run better and smoother. I was hammering it in first, when it fell on its face, picked up and I heard a loud bang!!! I looked in the mirror to see a nice big cloud of black smoke. Apparently, it needed cleaned out. Didn't hurt the engine, but scared the hell out of me. :yuck:
Started noticing it buck and stumble at random, however, mostly in 4th gear at 1400-1800 rpm. When I got it home I was planning on checking the TPS/IAC connector. I found some wiring that was in the process of breaking at the the terminals, so I rebuilt the connector and the TPS connector. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow to see how it is doing. Replacing the fuel filter and might put the front sway bar back in tomorrow. I need to apply some Flashing(self adhering rubber) to the areas I patched(hacked) and need the car in the air, so the bar might as well go back in.
I've decided to build a whole new harness for it after dealing with the TPS stuff. This crap is getting so brittle. Also need to install the new rear axle bushings. Maybe I'll do that while I'm replacing the fuel filter.

WickedShelby88
05-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Looking good Bryan! Sounds like the old dodge is coming along nicely.

black86glhs
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Looking good Bryan! Sounds like the old dodge is coming along nicely.Thanks. Like everyone else knows or is finding out, everytime I fix something, I find another thing to take care of...lol.

bgbmxer
05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I thought about doing the same, but figured just welding would give it plenty of strength compared to what it had. I'm considering finding another unmolested one and reinforcing the front control arm bushing area.

here is some of the k frame work we did. dont mind the other things in the background lol

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/P4220356.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/P4220357.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/P4220358.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/P4220359.jpghttp://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj17/bgbmxer/P4220360.jpg

Chad T
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
That's some nice looking work there! Is that a beer funnel? :D

bgbmxer
05-20-2009, 09:54 PM
That's some nice looking work there! Is that a beer funnel? :D

yes:thumb:

the rear swingarm is next on the list

black86glhs
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah, definitely nice. I like the brace across the front. Makes me want to do the same, but I want mine to be a bolt on deal. Still want to be able to pull the oil pan in the car.

Chad T
05-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Still want to be able to pull the oil pan in the car.

Yeah that comes in handy sometimes. ;)

bgbmxer
05-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh yeah, definitely nice. I like the brace across the front. Makes me want to do the same, but I want mine to be a bolt on deal. Still want to be able to pull the oil pan in the car.

im just hoping it clears the transmission but never thought about the oil pan. it might be possible to pull it but i guess we will have to see

black86glhs
05-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeah that comes in handy sometimes. ;)Especially with my luck.:(

black86glhs
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I thought I had a rod bearing that was complaining, but determined that one or two of the lifters is whining. I have extra rockers and rod bearings, but no lifters. Oh well, they are cheaper to get.

black86glhs
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Finally got the right length alt belt. I welded up the hole I drilled in the bracket for the bottom bolt. It wasn't quite right. I driled another one after grinding down the weld and got it perfect. A 5040390 Dayco belt just barely fits on it and doesn't need to be tightened up very much. I now have well over a 1/4" between the belt and alt bracket and it doesn't squeak anymore when running.:thumb:

Chad T
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
im just hoping it clears the transmission but never thought about the oil pan. it might be possible to pull it but i guess we will have to see

What about just making the bar removable? Get another piece of that material, cut the center out of yours and drill and bolt the new piece on?

You're really making me want to beef up my k-frame. I get a poping sound around hard corners and under hard braking sometimes. Could that be the k-frame flexing?

bgbmxer
05-22-2009, 08:35 AM
What about just making the bar removable? Get another piece of that material, cut the center out of yours and drill and bolt the new piece on?

You're really making me want to beef up my k-frame. I get a poping sound around hard corners and under hard braking sometimes. Could that be the k-frame flexing?

because bolton is weaker than welding and it gusing hold the corners from twisting as much

black86glhs
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM

You're really making me want to beef up my k-frame. I get a poping sound around hard corners and under hard braking sometimes. Could that be the k-frame flexing?I'm thinking this is normal for L-bodies. The pass side front does the same on mine. I think the upper strut mount is binding and causing the spring to wind up slightly and release. My 88 Omni did the same thing.

bgbmxer
05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking this is normal for L-bodies. The pass side front does the same on mine. I think the upper strut mount is binding and causing the spring to wind up slightly and release. My 88 Omni did the same thing.

my mopar springs dont sit right to begin with lol

Chad T
05-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking this is normal for L-bodies. The pass side front does the same on mine. I think the upper strut mount is binding and causing the spring to wind up slightly and release. My 88 Omni did the same thing.

Oh OK. Just another weird noise. Kind of matches my creaky ankle. :D

black86glhs
05-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Have had the car running for a while and driven it around a little. I thought I had the normal lifter noise but found out it was one that wouldn't pump up. I narrowed it down to #1 or #2 cyl. I needed to reseal my VC so I figured I would tackle it too. Grabbed the #1 intake and both #2 lifters and pressed them gently in my bench vise. First 2 pushed out all oil, but the last one did a 50/50 air oil mix. Replaced that one and resealed the VC. Hopefully that takes care of the noise and it isn't deeper in the block.
I also cleaned up the charger seats and they are now in the car(just the fronts). They look a heck of alot better than the old glhs seats(looked like Wolverine sharpened his claws on them).

black86glhs
06-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Sadly, the S is on jack stands....again. Took her out last thurs and ripped thru the gears after pulling a couple degrees of timing(ign). Ran like a raped ape. However, when I would lean back into the gas, I would get a high pitched tapping noise. Let off and it stops. Oil pressure is good.
All four rod bearings look like I sprinkled a couple grains of salt on each of them. The crank looks ok but i'll run over it with some 2000 grit to make sure. Gonna pull the mains to make sure they don't look the same.
Remember boys and girls.....make sure your block is clean.....and the oil pan......and the VC.......and the cyl head.....etc.:(

Keito
06-10-2009, 07:14 AM
When you installed the Charger seats, did you swap the seat tracks from the origionals?
Jay told me the tracks are different heights, Chargers are shorter.
Going to get it done in time for SDAC?

black86glhs
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes I did. They look a lot better than the old ones. I'm hoping it will be done for SDAC. Now that I'm not taking my trigonometry course this summer, more time is open to get it ready.:D

black86glhs
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Picture of the bottom half of the rod bearings. Eeeeewwwww!:yuck: Not too bad a pic for a cell phone.

bgbmxer
06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Picture of the bottom half of the rod bearings. Eeeeewwwww!:yuck: Not too bad a pic for a cell phone.

yeah hopefully that dont happen to my jy motor. i cleaned it as good as i could and im going to go with the start it change the oil run it for a few minutes change the oil method

black86glhs
06-10-2009, 11:10 PM
yeah hopefully that dont happen to my jy motor. i cleaned it as good as i could and im going to go with the start it change the oil run it for a few minutes change the oil methodWorst part is it didn't happen until I switched to synthetic oil. Must have loosened up something in the pan or a passage and YAHTZEE!:mad:
To quote a certain movie, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit Methamphetamines!"

Chad T
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Man that sucks Bryan. Wonder if you had some gunk on one of the oil lines or something.

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"
http://www.boom2bust.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/airplane.jpg

bgbmxer
06-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Worst part is it didn't happen until I switched to synthetic oil. Must have loosened up something in the pan or a passage and YAHTZEE!:mad:
To quote a certain movie, "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit Methamphetamines!"

yeah everything on my has been cleaned other than the block since everything has been modified other than the block so we will see what happens

black86glhs
06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Man that sucks Bryan. Wonder if you had some gunk on one of the oil lines or something.

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"
http://www.boom2bust.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/airplane.jpgROFLMAO!!!
I think it came from the oil pan. I welded in baffles and was having issues getting it cleaned out after welding and grinding. Guess it wasn't clean enough. Oh well. I'll still be at SDAC. Might bring a rental we can break!!!

bgbmxer
06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
ROFLMAO!!!
I think it came from the oil pan. I welded in baffles and was having issues getting it cleaned out after welding and grinding. Guess it wasn't clean enough. Oh well. I'll still be at SDAC. Might bring a rental we can break!!!

yeah i used a oil pan that was on a motor that grenaded and decided to just get rid of the baffles and sound deading matterial all together just to be safe

black86glhs
06-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Someone direct Jason Jordon here so he will know that I'm bringing a rental to SDAC...lol.
With school and some other family stuff going on, I didn't feel like trying to fix it. After I get back, I need to pull the 86 block apart and see what I need for it. Going to leave the CB in the car for now, I have no room for the both of them out of the car. I'll probably go .020 over forged(depends on how the block looks). I have another cyl head and exhaust manifold to port and might even start playing around with the 1 piece intake and open it up.

jaysshelby
06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey I'm hear, see your taking something else. At least your making it.

skitzo_inc
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
You're car is coming together nicely! I'm ready for mine to get the new floors and I can bring her home to do tiny stuff on.

black86glhs
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks Paul. I still have some floor work to do. The rear seam in front of the rear seat is gone on the pass side. After patching it, I'm done for a little while....floor wise.
I have the head and manifold ported how I like and just need to get new valve guides. Not sure when I'll get the engine work done(pistons, etc.). Money is the deciding factor.
After I get the evap core replaced in my Intrigue, I'll be selling it. The money from that will go towards some parts for the Omni.:D