PDA

View Full Version : Are These Genuine Mopar Hatch Struts?

Marcus86GLHS
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
my local Dodge dealer swears these are genuine NOS Mopar, but I cannot locate the Mopar pentastar on the strut.....he says these are for 1978-1990 Omni/Horizon. they came in Mopar packaging that looks very old (typical for NOS parts).

anyone recognize these as real Mopar? or aftermarket? thanx.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2531/2382/6326190541_large.jpg

Captain Chaos
03-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Based on the PN its an OE acceptable replacement. They have what they call value line parts that they deem acceptable to replace the originals at a discounted price. The G000 or for brakes they have like V101 prefixes.

So to answer your question no they most likely are not from the OEM manufacturer. The OE part number probably got superceded to that number years ago.

rich tideswell
03-13-2009, 05:59 PM
those look like the strong arm brand hatch struts. infact, that 4618 number lists for 83-87 dodge charger/ plymouth tourismo without spoiler, and the dodge omni/ plymouth horizon 2 and 4 door under the strong arm brand

Marcus86GLHS
03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
ah crap. i was hoping these were the real deal. they charged me $34 each does that sound about right for a Strong Arm unit?

Captain Chaos
03-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Marcus, Rockauto.com shows a Monroe for a reasonable price:

SACHS Part # SG314003 {Eyelet End Fittings: 17" Ext. 10" Compr. Length}
$10.11 $0.00 $10.11
MONROE Part # 901208 {Max-Lift Gas Hatch Lift Support}
More Info
$11.03 $0.00 $11.03
ACDELCO Part # 510535 {SILVER LIFT SUPPORT #12333256}
SUPPORT,Rear Compartment LID STRUT
More Info
$18.66 $0.00 $18.66
ACDELCO Part # 510579 {SILVER LIFT SUPPORT #12362145}
SUPPORT,Rear Compartment LID STRUT 2 DR
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 12 business days
More Info
$19.34 $0.00 $19.34

rich tideswell
03-13-2009, 07:37 PM
ah crap. i was hoping these were the real deal. they charged me $34 each does that sound about right for a Strong Arm unit?

That sounds like wallet rape to me for an aftermarket unit. Nothing against the brand - I've had them on 3 Daytona's - but $68 for those is not cool. Autozone/ NAPA/ Pepboy's/ ect.. probably has them for about $15 each on the rack.

t3rse
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
But Marcus is looking for real OE stuff I would guess....

Captain Chaos
03-13-2009, 08:15 PM
But Marcus is looking for real OE stuff I would guess....

True, but for what he got might as well get the less expensive aftermarket ones if OE aren't available.

Marcus ask the counter guy for the part number in the catalog, not the superceded number, or get whole supercession up to the point where they aren't "normal" part numbers. Then find someone with parts voice to search those numbers for you. Thats how I found a lot of discontinued stuff when I was at the dealership.

Marcus86GLHS
03-14-2009, 05:36 AM
thanks guys. come Monday i am headed back to return these units. I'm sure these would work fine but I wanted Mopar parts. The real interesting aspect is the packaging: how the eff did knock-off parts end up in Mopar packages? Did my dealer make the swap? Or his supplier? someone out there is a Bernie Madoff-ing me.

DC Turismo
03-14-2009, 10:48 AM
They look identical to to the ones I bought four or five years ago for my Turismo Marcus. Cost me around $60 then as well. I have never noticed a pentastar on any hatch strut I've worked on, whether it be a parts car or junkyard.

Marcus86GLHS
03-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Billy I was inclined to think that the Mopar struts would have a silkscreened part number, or at least a pentastar logo, because I do see those markings on the hatch struts on both of the new grand cherokees i have owned. The tired and weak struts on my omni are black (i think they are originals but i cannot confirm that), with no markings or stickers whatsoever as you say......I have some friends out here looking at their cars to see if they can identify what an original strut from the 80's/early 90's would look like.

if anyone else could do that and chime in that would be helpful, thanx again.

JDAWG
03-14-2009, 11:21 PM
they might me in a G line bag but they are OE Mopar, the number is stamped on them, i have seen it alot of times before, i think they end up with a bunch left and stick them in the G bags and sell them cheaper, or they may have written the newest number on the bag just for identification

rich tideswell
03-16-2009, 08:28 AM
i remember my OEM hatch struts on my daytona having a pen-star and some writing in yellow. not sure what l-bodies would be like, but i'm sure they'd be simliar

Marcus86GLHS
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Just rec'd (2) NOS Mopar struts for the L44. The correct part number for those of you wanting to scrounge is 5207 121.

I also located and purchased a 1986 Parts Catalog (makes searching for NOS stuff a lot easier). The strut can be seen at Section 23A, Page 23A-40 (illustration) and 23A-41 (listing).

These are the best (2) I could find that were not scratched up, the part tag is slightly different between the two, but each is marked a 5207 121 Mopar part.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2531/2382/6326190543_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2531/2382/6326190544_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2531/2382/6326190546_large.jpg

jonnyb
03-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmmmm...I wonder where you found the correct part number :eyebrows:

Interestingly enough, the stickers on yours are not in the same spot as the original ones from my 85 glht. Mine are up on the other end of the cylinder. Same "AVM" manufacturer though...

http://www.sdacne.com/images/cars/stuff008.jpg
http://www.sdacne.com/images/cars/stuff007.jpg

Jon

rich tideswell
03-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Interestingly enough, the stickers on yours are not in the same spot as the original ones from my 85 glht. Mine are up on the other end of the cylinder. Same "AVM" manufacturer though...

Jon

AVM is short for ArvinMeritor www.arvinmeritor.com They were the OEM supplier back then and also own the Strong Arm brand. That is why the blue tagged parts were in the Mopar bag.

You should peel off those stickers on yours, scan them, and send them over to lazerxt and see what it would take to have repop's done.

jonnyb
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
You should peel off those stickers on yours, scan them, and send them over to lazerxt and see what it would take to have repop's done.

Interesting idea. The struts themselves seem to be the same as the $10 cheapo aftermarket ones, so you could buy those, peel the stickers off and put the repros on there. Assuming the repro stickers are only a couple bucks each, you would get a near perfect repro set for half the price of the dealer originals!

Stuff like this makes me wonder if maybe....just maybe...there might actually be some kind of aftermarket for these cars in our future.

Marcus86GLHS
03-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Great idea on reproducing the sticker only, Steve are you reading this?

Jonny yes your pix you sent me earlier were a big help, i wasnt 100% sure (as you werent also) on the pedigree of the props you had, so once i got ahold of the right person he was able to go back to the 1986 parts listing and confirm the part number as 5207121. The weinerheads at Bolles Dodge/Jeep in Ellington told me "...there's no way we can look up the original part number from 1986..."

Once I got the part # confirmed, I was then able to do a part search.

RICH great info on the AVM/Strongarm connection. Shows you how integrated some of these long-time suppliers are to the car companies.

glhturbo1985
03-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I looked on our rack of parts to go on the car, and the shocks we have are AVM's. The pics I took were pretty blurry, (cheap 100 dollar kodak camera), I'll get back with the part number on the shock and the mopar bag later. I think the packaging part number on the bag is different than other's. ??? the 30992 is right, but the PN is different. my parts were manu. in 9/91'

rich tideswell
03-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Interesting idea. The struts themselves seem to be the same as the $10 cheapo aftermarket ones, so you could buy those, peel the stickers off and put the repros on there. Assuming the repro stickers are only a couple bucks each, you would get a near perfect repro set for half the price of the dealer originals!

Stuff like this makes me wonder if maybe....just maybe...there might actually be some kind of aftermarket for these cars in our future.

I think there will be in the near future. Alot of us grew up on these cars and have fond memories of them. And just like the muscle car boom, all it takes is some dedicated enthusists to push the market.

Great idea on reproducing the sticker only, Steve are you reading this?

The weinerheads at Bolles Dodge/Jeep in Ellington told me "...there's no way we can look up the original part number from 1986..."

RICH great info on the AVM/Strongarm connection. Shows you how integrated some of these long-time suppliers are to the car companies.

Sadly, lots of the parts counter guys only know what's on the computer screen in front of them. It's a small mirricle if they have paper catalogs at all, let alone going back 20+ years.

Some of the supplier stuff I know, some I don't. I got most of my experience working part time through school at a auto parts chain.

Marcus86GLHS
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
".......It's a small mirricle if they have paper catalogs at all, let alone going back 20+ years........"

so true. the Dodge dealership that went out of business over here in 2008 was always happy and able to look up very old part numbers but now they are gone forever.

now that i finally have a 1986 Parts Catalog i will no longer be relying on these counter folks for look-ups or even ordering, I'll do it all direct. To my surprise, all of the 86S-specific parts (the Whittier-installed stuff) are actually in the Parts Catalog, there's even a full blow illustration of an 86S in the catalog, which was printed in 1987.

DAN: does your Dad's car have the original props stashed somewhere or were they discarded?

glhturbo1985
03-21-2009, 08:47 AM
We do have the props somewhere...............??? My dad is getting oldtimer's. I'll keep my eyes posted and let you know when we run across them.

Marcus86GLHS
03-21-2009, 12:19 PM
just did the swap, one of my props was indeed original and the other was aftermarket (i was able to see the markings better with the props on the bench).......it was the original prop that was dead, i can fully compress it by hand with ease but the knock-off one seemed fine.

DAN thanx and we wont complain if some extra pix of your dads car gets in there.

:-)

rich tideswell
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
so anyone repop these yet?