PDA

View Full Version : Regrind Camshafts

1qk4dr
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I talked to Delta Cams today and they can can correct my cams. One has pitting and the other has a flat in it.

The rockers look great though.

Is having their performance stage worth doing? Should I go back to stock. The difference would be about 100 dollars.

RJ138
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
What are you plans with the car?

I would spend the extra 100 bucks while they are out. The stock cam grind is lame. Although I am not sure if I have seen anyone with a back to back dyno between stock and the "performance" grinds. So maybe you should just leave them.:p

1qk4dr
03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
What are you plans with the car?

I would spend the extra 100 bucks while they are out. The stock cam grind is lame. Although I am not sure if I have seen anyone with a back to back dyno between stock and the "performance" grinds. So maybe you should just leave them.:p

I haven't heard any dyno numbers either with the stage 1 Delta Cams. John over there said that customers have noticed a good difference in performance by word of mouth.

I'm not planning to drive my spirit very often. 250-300whp would be nice. I have a
46Trim T3/4 Turbo, Large Noble Intercooler, 2.5" exhaust with hiflow cat. Right now I want to get it running right.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
DO NOT USE DELTA unless your going stock.

You'll be very sorry, one set took out my buddy's engine due to low vacuum and go here for a good cry-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28404

I can get them done or Wallace.

1qk4dr
03-13-2009, 02:55 PM

You'll be very sorry, one set took out my buddy's engine due to low vacuum and go here for a good cry-

Do you weld and grind cams yourself? Stock would be fine. I'm just looking in getting my car back on the road.

Let me know how much your charge for a grind per cam and weld per lobe.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Do you weld and grind cams yourself? Stock would be fine. I'm just looking in getting my car back on the road.

Let me know how much your charge for a grind per cam and weld per lobe.

I don't but I have a cam shop thats local.

RJ138
03-13-2009, 04:24 PM

Wasn't Delta the first offering a performance grind for the T3? I vaguely remember Wallace was having Delta do the regrinds? Or did he come out with his own special grinds through a different company? I may have the worst memory on this board so this could all be nonsense.:o

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Wasn't Delta the first offering a performance grind for the T3? I vaguely remember Wallace was having Delta do the regrinds? Or did he come out with his own special grinds through a different company? I may have the worst memory on this board so this could all be nonsense.:o

Delta was last on the list, others were first. So far, they are down 2 for 2. Wallace I believe was the first and I am working on a wild cams that will make good power and idle like stock with stock vacuum numbers. :thumb:

RJ138
03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Delta was last on the list, others were first. So far, they are down 2 for 2. Wallace I believe was the first and I am working on a wild cams that will make good power and idle like stock with stock vacuum numbers. :thumb:

Dang I was way off... Crappy memory.:( I will make note to remember to check back about your cams when the time comes.:nod: Don't be suprised if I forget.:p

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Dang I was way off... Crappy memory.:( I will make note to remember to check back about your cams when the time comes.:nod: Don't be suprised if I forget.:p

They'll be posted up when I get them done, if they work of course, :D

1qk4dr
03-13-2009, 06:14 PM
After reading Navyboy post I may just stick to the stock grind. What happened to all the Cam Regrinders? We use to have at least two of them here in Cincinnati at one time. Has anyone heard of Oregon Camshaft?
http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
After reading Navyboy post I may just stick to the stock grind. What happened to all the Cam Regrinders? We use to have at least two of them here in Cincinnati at one time. Has anyone heard of Oregon Camshaft?

Cost of business, cam machines aren't cheap and you need skilled operators to run them. Consider most common engines, IE V8's can buy a new cam for under $100 so why buy reground.

Maybe PM Gasketmaster, he might know if they are any good. I know these cams dont' use a common metal so finding the right mix isn't easy.

GLHSKEN
03-13-2009, 07:10 PM

My Iroc just laid down 260/290 with stock turbo and a front mount... 17 psi. No cam necessary

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 07:20 PM
My Iroc just laid down 260/290 with stock turbo and a front mount... 17 psi. No cam necessary

But there is more power to be made without upgrading the turbo, etc. The heads flow nicely but the cams are very tame.

glhs727
03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Wallace did not and does not use elgin.

We also sell T-3 cams, (not the Lonewolf cams, but we did in the past and they are good).

Our cam grinder that does our FWD stage cams also does t-3 cames for us with a tri-flow design Here is some info on it:

"By staggering the opening times of the two intake lobes, we have created a swirl in the system. The principle behind this design is to open the intake valves progressively. Opening one valve first allows the fuel to travel across the chamber at a greater velocity due to the smaller venturi action, it then helps pull in the second charge at a faster rate.

This gives the equivalent to the secondaries opening up in a carburetor. In turn, with the larger cam, the engine has better vacuum at idle since there is less overlap, throttle response is greatly increased, and turbocharged vehicles have noticed less lag and faster spool up time."

Later,
Cindy

Directconnection
03-13-2009, 08:52 PM
From what I know... 2 valve chambers have "swirl" and 4 or more should have "tumble"

Pat
03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
I have stock regrinds from Elgin in one head and Delta in another. Both are fine so far from a durability standpoint and the car has gone 11.6-11.7's with both heads.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I have stock regrinds from Elgin in one head and Delta in another. Both are fine so far from a durability standpoint and the car has gone 11.6-11.7's with both heads.

Stock seems to be fine, both the link and my friend had stage 1? regrinds, :(

1qk4dr
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

I called Elgin today and the worker who I spoke with was familar with the T3 motor. Anyway for what I'm trying to accomplish stock cams would be fine. Though it would be nice to stay at a low boost and gain decent amount of power by better flow. It would be even nicer If I get my car running right,lol.

WOP'R
03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
When i talked to delta there werent any stages in grinds. I got the performance grind that should have no effect on idle or vac. They were wrong very VERY wrong!

Dont go delta

1qk4dr
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I recieved my Camshafts back from Oregon Camshaft. The work looks great and price wasn't too bad. I'll post pictures with some measurements if people are interested. They welded up one of my lobes and some how took the pitting out of another lobe.

BTW what is correct lobe dimension

I see that Turbovanman posted
Journal 1.884"
Lobe base circle 1.327"

While Navyboy posted this for his stock cams->
"While my stock cam got;
W: 1.329-1.337" range
T: 1-518-1.520" range
Lastly I think the book was saying wear limit on the lobes for the TIII is .5mm or .020", but book didn't state STD of lobes."

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Sure, post up, and how much?

As far as I am concerned, any wear on the cam is not acceptable.