PDA

View Full Version : Koni Adj Shocks

show-off
04-13-2006, 09:09 AM
How do you adjust them? I see how to do the struts, but the shocks have me confused.

fleckster
04-13-2006, 09:33 AM
There is a page on their website that shows how to adjust them. Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly as mine are on order and haven't come in yet. The Struts (coming from San Diego) are supposed to be delivered today but the shocks (from KY, Ken!!!!) were out of stock and are supposed to ship out next Friday.

show-off
04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
So you just push them down and turn to the left till it clicks, then adjust it to the right upto 5 half turns to make it all the way stiff? Is that right?

Turbodave
04-13-2006, 10:28 AM
That sounds about right, compress fully and twist...

Directconnection
04-13-2006, 11:40 AM
It's been a while since I did mine, but you bottom them out. Then twist while holding that pressure and you should feel a tang fall into a notch. That is when you twist to make your adjustment. Be aware that the tang pops out of the notch rather easily without really noticing it much.

tps25pentium
04-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes.. that is correct.. compress fully.. rotate (while compressed) until you feel it fall into a notch (about 1/8th inch extra compression) and then turn accordingly. If you decompress while turning just a little, it will slip out of the notch and you'll lose track. It's the most annoying thing I've ever done.. but the results are worth it!!

jckrieger
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Remember, if they're new they'll soften up after a few miles. I set mine to 1/2 turn from full stiff and they're actually not bad anymore (after about 4K miles). Those first 100 miles sure were brutal though :)

GLHNSLHT2
04-13-2006, 09:44 PM
I set the rears as stiff as I can get them while having them decompress at the same rate. Then adjust the fronts for ride and handling.

inmyshadow
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
The best way I found to adjust the koni shocks?

I use two large screw drivers through each end. I stand on one, using the other to push down on. Makes life so much easier to compress and adjust when your konis are full hard.

Also, use tons of anti-seize. Use it on the threads and inside the metal bushings. I hadn't removed my rear shocks for adjustment in a few years. When it came time to strip my last shadow, one lower shock bolt's head snapped off. The top bolt was siezed and then stripped.

We ended up cutting out the shock and damaged the lower metal bushing. The broken bolt is forever frozen inside the bushing. Koni was nice enough to find a used metal bushing of the same size for free.

show-off
04-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I use two large screw drivers through each end. I stand on one, using the other to push down on. Makes life so much easier to compress and adjust when your konis are full hard.

That was what I was planning on doing...should work good.

GLHNSLHT2
04-14-2006, 08:09 PM
hehe poor back east drivers and their rust and salt.