PDA

View Full Version : tilt column omni

RedDeerGLH
04-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm sure ive seen it up somewhere but i can't find it here or on td.com so I figured i'd post it. Has anyone put a tilt steering column in an omni. Someone i believe used a spirit column but I think they had to shorten it. Just wondering because it would be nice being my steering wheel catchs my fingers at the top of the wheel all the time. And I just like tilt columns.

thanks
Jay

RedDeerGLH
04-15-2006, 01:49 AM
bump! nobody has put a tilt column in an omni

TurbododgePirate
04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes, someone did.

I don't remember who though. Yes, they needed to modify and shorten the column that they did use, plus they used ALL the electronics from the other car from front to back. I'll see if I have the link @ home.

2.216VTurbo
04-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Let's see, who's Rampage was that...?;)

I did a sweet write up with pics, the amount the shaft had to be shortened, what size bushing to use in the carrier bearing etc. When my four year old PC went bust on me, I sort of lost all those pics:o So unless someone I sent it to still has it... Tilt in a L body is sweet:thumb:

RedDeerGLH
04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
thanks guys. I was just talking to a local guy and he said the shadow column fits but needs to be shortened. The thing i was wondering was that the aftermarked steering wheel i have only has the one spacer so it sits right against the top of the guage bezel, so I was wondering if it needed to be shortened more than an inch and if so then i will have to shorten it.

Jay

2.216VTurbo
04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I used a Spirit RT column and cut the spline end off and was able to insert the original L body splined end into the AA body shaft then weld it all the way around. To mount the Spirit column I cut off the mounting ears, inverted them and moved them in and welded in place. That way it bolted right up to the original L body dash support. I am 6'2" so the seat needs to be all the way back to work the pedals easily but I prefer the steering wheel 'in my lap' so my arms are bent a bit at the elbow. For those reasons I left mine pretty long, there are at least four inches of dash clearance. The L body shaft is larger and hollow down below so to adapt it and be able to use the orignal 'carrier bearing' assembly I welded on a 1.25" OD sleeve. Five years ago now, I may have forgotten something...:o