PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable TIII ignition timing?

2.216VTurbo
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Yesterday I swapped in a hybrid 523/OBX into the Rampage RT (pics in 'what did you do to your car today' thread) and it went pretty smooth but did require some fab for the Crank Position Sensor placement in the 523 case. It was fairly strait forward (I think anyway, I haven't run the thing yet:o) because the boss for the CPS is right there on the 523 case as well, I just laid out a template from the 568 onto the 523 and sequentially drilled up to the size of the CPS. THen dropped it in and and marked/drillled the 10mm holdown bolt. All told maybe 35 minutes of work... One issue though, the 523 case is thicker right there so the sensor sits about .017 further from the flywheel. You can see on an RT trans they have machined the boss flat a bit, I just took an agressive flapwheel on my 4" angle grinder and handled that in a couple minutes:)

One thing I wanted to do for sure is try to EXACTLY locate the CPS at the same crank angle as before, I think I pulled that off, but had another thought while I was thinking about that:eyebrows: What if the CPS hole was actually an elongated slot instead and you could slide it a bit this way or that way to adjust for timing?? Would that work? I know I'll get some responses about custom cals etc, I'm not looking for that, just a 3-4 degree adjustment when the tank has some race gas in it:evil: Like two weeks from now at Mopars At The Strip:partywoot:

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
That could work, they are set at 12 deg, like an 8 valve. They have alot of timing already so if your not getting a cal, that would be nice to take a few degree's out.

86Shelby
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Nice thought, I don't see why it won't work to make small adjustments. Lord knows the cam & crank sensors can be quite a bit out of sync before the SBEC freaks out.

black86glhs
03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Alan, I don't see why it won't work. The comp doesn't know where TDC is, so you should be able to. Basically like adjustable cam sprockets allowing you to adjust the cam timing.

zin
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
It will work. Or at least it has worked on other engines, specifically the 4.0L Fords, a buddy of mine (Lloyd @ TMR) did this very trick on his Ranger to get a few degrees of timing (and the better millage that goes with it). The best part is that no smog tech will catch it as the computer thinks everything is "normal"! I plan on doing it to my Ranger as well, hopefully it can squeeze another MPG or two out of that 3.0L!

Mike

PS The Ranger is pretty limited due to placement of the crank sensor, but the R/T would allow for quite a bit of adjustment, I would think...

rx2mazda
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
So, you would elongate the hole in the tranny and the hole on the sensor for the 10mm nut?

JamesL
03-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd put money on it that it would work. Would the slot have to be radial to keep the sensor centered or would a straight slot be ok since we are not talking about very many degrees?

2.216VTurbo
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
So, you would elongate the hole in the tranny and the hole on the sensor for the 10mm nut?

It would have to be the sensor hole (Which is pretty large .750 is a little too big but that's what I used) then just using a small cutoff wheel, cut two slots in the end of the sensor holdown which would just cause it to be a slot instead of a circular hole. That way you wouldnt have to dick with the 10mm bolt hole in the trans...

rx2mazda
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Cool. What kind of cal are you running now?FWDP?

It would be nice to advance the timing a little when your running the good stuff! But instead of slotting it, why not drill another overlapping hole for the sensor at a predetermined location? That way when you go to the track, just pull out of the stock hole and slap in the racing hole:D. No need to slide it to "the correct location" just pop it in. You could use the marks on the tranny for a template for the degrees to get a good idea of how much to move the hole.

2.216VTurbo
03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Cool. What kind of cal are you running now?FWDP?

It would be nice to advance the timing a little when your running the good stuff! But instead of slotting it, why not drill another overlapping hole for the sensor at a predetermined location? That way when you go to the track, just pull out of the stock hole and slap in the racing hole:D. No need to slide it to "the correct location" just pop it in. You could use the marks on the tranny for a template for the degrees to get a good idea of how much to move the hole.

I like the way ideas are developing:thumb: Yeah the second hole thing sounds like a good way to go:eyebrows:.

I'm on the stock cal for now, I *HAVE* to get thru CA emissions referee testing tomorrow, made the appointment like 3 weeks ago so right now I am swapping fuel tanks (stock 'modified' Rampage tank had lots of seepage:() because part of the new testing protocol in California is to put 4PSI in the fuel tank and it has to hold for X amount of minutes or its a DUMPSTER LOAD OF FAIL for your test. Million other criteria including tailpipe emissions so I am installing the stock injectors, removing the AFPR, Grainger, bolting in the cat etc etc. Fun hoops we have to jump thru every 2 years out here:o

I do have a brand new box of +40's, this turbo, and a FWD STG5 cal sitting here. *IF* I get everything else done in the next 10 days before MATS, I'll do some upgrades:nod:\
BTW RX2, you have some current pics, I want to show my Bro your project, old pics are OK too, just stick em here where I can find them without searching too hard;)

rx2mazda
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
BTW RX2, you have some current pics, I want to show my Bro your project, old pics are OK too, just stick em here where I can find them without searching too hard;)

I just took some pics today with my new camera, i'll get them up tomorrow for ya! There are some recent ones with the holset right here.......http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30380

It sucks that you have to go thru all that every 2 years. Must be pretty hard to get a rotary to pass emissions in that state:D...........If you know someone in "high places" can they push you by or is there none of that going on in Cali?

EDIT: What's the closest airport to you? Next time i'm in Cali(which is every month almost since I work for Southwest Airlines)I want a ride in "that red one"!! I love that car:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
That blows what CA makes you do. Ours is simple, sniffer test and gas cap tank, :nod:

Nice turbo, I like the DP adapter, :eyebrows: :D

2.216VTurbo
03-10-2009, 03:21 AM
I just took some pics today with my new camera, i'll get them up tomorrow for ya! There are some recent ones with the holset right here.......http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30380

It sucks that you have to go thru all that every 2 years. Must be pretty hard to get a rotary to pass emissions in that state:D...........If you know someone in "high places" can they push you by or is there none of that going on in Cali?

EDIT: What's the closest airport to you? Next time i'm in Cali(which is every month almost since I work for Southwest Airlines)I want a ride in "that red one"!! I love that car:thumb:

SNA./ John Wayne airport FTW, The OC baby! Give me a couple days notice if you can and I'll set up a wrenching project for you, I've seen your work, you can work on my claptrap collection any day:amen:

Simon, your new JT assisted avatar made me spit out my Girl Scout cookie:D I hate to waste a perfectly good thin mint:(