PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Charger Air Dam

CDNTurboZ
04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Can anyone guide me on how to remove and install an l-body front clip??
My charger when I bought it was missing the lower air dam, and side extensions. (The previous owner threw in another set though when I bought the car) Now that winter is over I want to put the new uncracked front clip and air dam on. The front clip looks not too bad, but I have no clue on how the side extensions, or lower air dam mounts on.

It appears there were those plastic rivets holding it on. Can anyone tell me what all sizes of bolts and plastic rivets I need?

steve

87glhs232
04-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Alright, side extensions come off first. Remove any plastic 'christmas tree' push in dealies or sheet metal screws on the edge of the wheel well. Remove the bolt or screw that attaches the side extensions to the main air dam (underside edge). Remove or pull back on the inner plastic fender shield. You should see two (on each side) metal push on clips. They slip over plastic 'nipples' on the extensions. I know of no other way than to just pry them off. Now the extensions should come off. This will expose a large bolt of some sort. Mine uses carriage bolts. You know, domed top and a square under the head. I would first remove any other plastic push in dealies...found in the front center, they attach to the main nose piece....and any bracing that may have been added, then remove the bolts on the side. Should be done!

CDNTurboZ
04-13-2006, 04:30 PM
You should see two (on each side) metal push on clips. They slip over plastic 'nipples' on the extensions. I know of no other way than to just pry them off. Now the extensions should come off.

great, the ones that I got don't have those clips on them:( , are they kind of like c-clips? (similar to what holds the wastegate arm on the turbo, but bigger?)

by chance would you have a pic?

thanks for your help:thumb:

87glhs232
04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
great, the ones that I got don't have those clips on them:( , are they kind of like c-clips? (similar to what holds the wastegate arm on the turbo, but bigger?)

by chance would you have a pic?

thanks for your help:thumb:
Ummm....no pic. The ones on mine were metal and fully circular, and had a couple teeth in the inner part that dug into the plastic. Mine broke when I took them off. They were a little corroded. I'll see if I can get a pic of what I use now. I got them at Home Depot. I'll try to get a pic tonight.

CDNTurboZ
04-14-2006, 04:43 PM
any luck on the pic?

thanks again
steve

87glhs232
04-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Sorry. Not yet. It's freakin raining.

85shelbycharger
04-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Ummm....no pic. The ones on mine were metal and fully circular, and had a couple teeth in the inner part that dug into the plastic. Mine broke when I took them off. They were a little corroded. I'll see if I can get a pic of what I use now. I got them at Home Depot. I'll try to get a pic tonight.

All the extensions that I've removed had the same style clip that you're talking about...what a PIA to take off, let me tell you :p I was always worried about prying too hard and breaking the peg off of the extension itself.

87glhs232
04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Here are the pics, sorry the one is a little blurry. I'm thinking about drilling out the caps end so it slips all the way over the plastic stud. As it is right now, I have to use some washers to make up the difference.

Oh...they don't fit perfectly either. I had to crush them down on one side a little to make them grab.

CDNTurboZ
04-17-2006, 07:41 PM
awesome, that will help!:)

thanks
steve